petrol fl VRS suspension refresh

Hi,

I've got a 2010 petrol VRS (FL).

it's done over 110k miles and I think It's due a suspension refresh.

Anything but standard ride height is out of the question at the moment and it feels quite harsh at lower speeds (20mph and poor roads here).

I'd look at B4s and was looking to take those with standard springs, but apparently they're over dampened so the ride can feel a little harsh.

I don't want to switch to anything any lower than present and am reluctant to move away from OE but non-std isn't a deal breaker.. just ride height (some bad ramps in the car parks and horrible speeds bumps near here).

Are the recommendations to go for sachs shocks and whatever OEM springs you can get hold of or something else?

I've not had Billies on a car for 24 years but currently run Eibach springs in my E46 320i. 

Eibach and Bilstein develop their products to use together so will be great together. 

The roads around here are crap and we have some monstrous speed humps. My Beemer is fine with them all.

So my car us a good yardstick. 

Kirkynut 

I recently fitted b4’s and Eibach pro’s to my 2010 fl vrs and felt a big improvement over stock. I didn’t want to end up too low either and this set up has dropped it 20mm with much better ride quality over the standard set up. I got mine as recommended by DPM performance who were very helpful and well priced too 

• Thanks 1

I have a diesel FL VRS with 145,000 miles still on standard suspension. It’s quite a hard ride with properly inflated tyres but I wouldn’t say mine feels tired yet.

It could definitely be improved in the handling and cornering categories though.

ill be interested in your thoughts and especially photos of before and after to see if there’s much change in the ride height.

what sort of prices are you looking at for that set up?

I still need to pull my finger out and do the same thing to my 130k TSI VRS. 

B4 Sport kit is £200ish from DPM, then a few quid for new bump stops. 

Anyone know which bushes should generally be replaced at the same time? 

Edited by Rjg
  • Like 1

It is worth doing the front top mount and bearings while shocks are being replaced.  Other bushes don't need to be done at the same time although the front console bushes are worth inspecting as mostly likely to be worn at 130k if they have never been changed.

• Like 1

Fitted a H&R 35mm cup kit to my pre fl last year and find it very good. I was the same, didn't want to go very low and was thinking of uprated springs with standard shocks but glad I went with the H&Rs (from DPM) Only lowers around 15mm on an RS and to be honest if your current suspension is tired (like mine was) then it's probably already as low as what this kit will make it. Ride is super smooth on main roads and a little harsher on bad roads as you would expect but to me it's no worse than the standard RS. Feels tighter and a better drive in general. Pic to show it didn't slam the car. 

20190811_235103.jpg

10 hours ago, wiilydog said:

It is worth doing the front top mount and bearings while shocks are being replaced.  Other bushes don't need to be done at the same time although the front console bushes are worth inspecting as mostly likely to be worn at 130k if they have never been changed.

I had mine fitted by my local Indy who advised top mount replacements at the same time as they looked like the originals and were looking tired. Mines done 64k 

• Like 1

I went out the other night and the car bottommed out going onto/off a driveway or two at the front.

I'm going to have to opt for something that doesn't have a drop. A fair point that tired suspension has probably already dropped 15mm.

Budget wise I wouldn't want to spend over 400 for the shocks, springs and top mounts.

have also been advised that some other bits and pieces are perishing down there and may need replacement soon!

Edited by bspman

Have you priced up standard shocks and springs all round from Skoda? Probably expensive but I don't think I'd want to go to basic aftermarket standard stuff on a performance car like this. 

What the heck were the drives like to bottom out on standard suspension? 

My Beemer sits far lower than the Mrs' VRS and I rarely touch down!

Kirkynut 

I recommend B6s - then you can keep the standard ride height if that's what you want! Think I got them from autodoc in the the end.

I changed mine about a year ago and have been happy with them on track and in the snow since. Compliant enough on road and damped enough on track to have some fun with the ESP off ;-)

• 5 months later...
On 11/08/2019 at 20:22, Pods said:

I recently fitted b4’s and Eibach pro’s to my 2010 fl vrs and felt a big improvement over stock. I didn’t want to end up too low either and this set up has dropped it 20mm with much better ride quality over the standard set up. I got mine as recommended by DPM performance who were very helpful and well priced too 

Did you inform the insurance about changes to suspension 

5 hours ago, j600arv said:

Was wondering the difference in insurance after the mod that’s all. My insurance won’t insure me if I lower mine 😡

It’s worth a good shop around i think. From experience some insurers just don’t like or won’t even touch mods but there are plenty out there who are mod friendly 👍🏻

If you keep an eye on the bilstein website they quite often have offers and you should he able to get a set or B4 shocks and B3 springs from them for a good price.

I had these along with ebay febi top mounts and bump stops for the front and rear, and meyle HD drop links for the front which all came to under £400. 

This was for my pre fl.