Octavia upgrades

Hello everyone, I have a 2010 Octavia Elegance with the basic Bolero stereo and I want to add DAB and Bluetooth. I want to do this in the most OEM way possible, so there aren't loads of different devices stuck around the cabin. Is it possible to fit a better Skoda/VW stereo which has these things?

I assume since my car does not have the Bluetooth or DAB already, I will need to add a microphone and change the radio aerial. If possible I don't want to spend £700 doing this.

Thanks

Nick

I think your best bet from my research is either a Parrot type device that can do this. Halfords have a few brands but I wouldn't have them fit it, or an Erisin unit off eBay. 

Otherwise an adapter plate and a branded double DIN but this is less OEM looking .

With an aftermarket double DIN you'll need to run an ignition on only live from somewhere as the Canbus messages on Skoda and Erisin tell it when to go on or off.

There's hours of reading done for you as I've been in a similar situation on the Mrs' car.

Kirkynut 

Edited by kirkynut

As covered many times, there are a few OEM options:

Amundsen+ (RNS-315)

Some versions have both BT and DAB built in, you'd need a new facia, mic and DAB antenna. Check for a black fakra/antenna connected and a mac address that's not all zeros.

Columbus (RNS-510)

A DAB version will add DAB (obviously) but you'd also need a BT module as none include BT. Same as above, you'd need a new facia, mic and DAB antenna.

If you want it cheaper and can live without DAB, you and add a OEM BT module to your existing Bolero to gain BT. You'd need a retrofit wiring loom that should include the mic.

Alternatively, the MIB PQ STD2 headunits fitted to the later Yeti can now be used. Could work out more expensive as they would need component protection removing.

• Like 1

The Erisin is a good unit and looks factory and does everything you will ever need, the live doesn't need sorting on a 2010 car it's earlier PFL that do, had mine in an LE for 2 years no complaints, even had it in Skoda and they didn't notice it wasn't OEM, a doddle to fit as well as it is truly plug and play.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Octa-core-Android-9-0-Car-Stereo-for-SKODA-OCTAVIA-Bluetooth-GPS-Sat-Nav-DAB-4G/113025288569?fits=Model%3AOctavia&hash=item1a50d50979:g:IdoAAOSwwKZdExmI

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slow_nick said:

Thanks for the replies. The Amundsen+ and Erisin options look good. Is changing the standard aerial to one with DAB/GPS difficult?

With the Erisin the standard 2 plug aerial just pops in as per factory, the unit comes with a seperate GPS unit that you locate somewhere and also come with little wifi aerial you screw in, if you want DAB you add that for a small cost and that comes with it's own aerial also.

1 hour ago, T2000 said:

With the Erisin the standard 2 plug aerial just pops in as per factory, the unit comes with a seperate GPS unit that you locate somewhere and also come with little wifi aerial you screw in, if you want DAB you add that for a small cost and that comes with it's own aerial also.

OK cool, that sounds easy enough. I assume the DAB aerial will be one of those ones that sticks on the inside of the windscreen.

39 minutes ago, chrisund123 said:

I fitted an xtrons unit to my car at the weekend, very happy with the result so far!

I'm interested, do you have an ebay link?

https://www.androidice.com/vw-seat-skoda-various-android-9-0-pq89unvip.html

I went for this one. It's the newest processor (px6) with 4gb of RAM, so it should perform well for the future. Delivery from Hong Kong took 6 days, no customs issues or anything.

Fitted a reverse camera at the same time, which integrates quite nicely. Radio reception is good, Google maps works nicely even offline (after I downloaded the map for the local area).

5 minutes ago, chrisund123 said:

https://www.androidice.com/vw-seat-skoda-various-android-9-0-pq89unvip.html

I went for this one. It's the newest processor (px6) with 4gb of RAM, so it should perform well for the future. Delivery from Hong Kong took 6 days, no customs issues or anything.

Fitted a reverse camera at the same time, which integrates quite nicely. Radio reception is good, Google maps works nicely even offline (after I downloaded the map for the local area).

Wow, that's a nice bit of kit. Does it replace the Bolero system without the need of a fascia adaptor? I like the idea of a reversing camera too, I've seen ones that come in a little unit that replace one of the number plate lamps and look pretty much OEM.

It isn't direct fit for the bolero, it needs the fascia for the Columbus type, I picked up a cheap one off of eBay for £15. I had to do a minor bit of fettling to the new surround as it was fouling the heated rear screen button, but 5 minutes with a craft knife, file and sandpaper and you'd never know. Looks pretty good, but I reckon I'll eventually buy the genuine fascia as I'm supposed to have the piano black interior and the cheapy fascias are all in silver!