DSG - Can i use it like a normal Auto Box ?

I understand its not exactly like a standard auto but i am looking at getting a DSG next but am concerned that the way i want to use it may not be how it was meant to be used...... my main reason to have it is for slow moving (bumper to bumper) traffic, i have had auto's in the past and the best bit about them is i  leave it in Drive and pootle along simply taking my foot off the brake and crawling along without all the in's and out's with the clutch and the gears......... will i damage my box if i drive like this? If i have to keep taking it from drive and putting it in neutral then it really defeats the reason for me having a DSG box and i may as well look for a more conventional auto.

You can put in 'S' and crawl along, easy on the accelerator and it will change less often (at higher RPM) than when in D and going between 1st and 2nd.

Still go to N and parking brake on for stops more than a few moments, and this also means not sitting with Brake Lights on.

(on models above the Fabia with an e-brake & Autohold it is just so nice, but that is ones that do not put the Brake Lights on,

many Skoda do put the Brake Lights on when Autohold functioning.)

PS

More conventional Auto not required really, just DSG's that are more advanced than a DQ200 as innthe Fabia, or better still wet clutch DSG and a car with autohold.

Edited by Roottootemoot

2 hours ago, Hudson1 said:

I understand its not exactly like a standard auto but i am looking at getting a DSG next but am concerned that the way i want to use it may not be how it was meant to be used...... my main reason to have it is for slow moving (bumper to bumper) traffic, i have had auto's in the past and the best bit about them is i  leave it in Drive and pootle along simply taking my foot off the brake and crawling along without all the in's and out's with the clutch and the gears......... will i damage my box if i drive like this? If i have to keep taking it from drive and putting it in neutral then it really defeats the reason for me having a DSG box and i may as well look for a more conventional auto.

If you can learn to brake with your left foot, you never need to move your feet accross which is even easier.  Manual driving seems silly now when i borrow the works van.

Have 2 DSG's, i will never want another manual

Adaptive Cruise is awesome. Although my car's a manual, so it won't go down to a stop.

If you press the brake pedal hard enough to activate the stop/start, then the clutches disengage completely, even if the engine doesn't stop.

19 hours ago, Hudson1 said:

The DSG is vastly superior to a normal auto box. It does exactly what you want. Just put it into D mode and use the accelerator and brake as normal.

In a bumper to bumper crawl, just lift your foot off the brake and it will slowly creep away without need for accelerator.

I've had three DSGs and will never return to anything else. Nirvana!

On 20/08/2019 at 06:02, TerFar said:

The DSG is vastly superior to a normal auto box. It does exactly what you want. Just put it into D mode and use the accelerator and brake as normal.

In a bumper to bumper crawl, just lift your foot off the brake and it will slowly creep away without need for accelerator.

I've had three DSGs and will never return to anything else. Nirvana!

You've just described how the last 2 auto boxes I've driven work.

Excellent, thanks for the info, i certainly will not be buying a manual car next but it was between a DSG and a standard auto box, either way i am totally sick of the stress and general hassle with the constant changing of the gears when in hours of traffic, which appears to be the norm these days, thanks again.

Early days with my dsg but have had a 'normal' automatic in my last car for 2.5 years and agree - commute is easier when you're just easing the brake pedal up and down. 

I can slide the selector across from D and move up and down the gears with a gentle nudge up or down and seems to work nicely if you did want some control over gears without the clutch pedal biting point stuff. 

I tend to leave it in D though and just let it do its thing. 

I've had two DSGs and would not want to return to manual.  My main criticism of DSG is its eagerness to change from 1st to 2nd in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and then to remain in 2nd until the car comes to a complete halt.  When crawling forward, this causes the clutch to slip in 2nd rather than remain fully engaged in 1st.  As George has already said, using the S position helps.  But I prefer to use Manual position, which holds the gearbox in 1st.  It's easy to nudge it into 2nd if required, and the gearbox automatically returns to 1st at walking pace.  I believe this action causes less wear on the clutches than leaving the DSG to do its thing.

My other criticism of DSG is the half-second delay between release of brake pedal and take-up of drive.  But driving with this delay becomes second nature in a very short while.  Give me DSG over manual any day!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robjon said:

I've had two DSGs and would not want to return to manual.  My main criticism of DSG is its eagerness to change from 1st to 2nd in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and then to remain in 2nd until the car comes to a complete halt.  When crawling forward, this causes the clutch to slip in 2nd rather than remain fully engaged in 1st.  As George has already said, using the S position helps.  But I prefer to use Manual position, which holds the gearbox in 1st.  It's easy to nudge it into 2nd if required, and the gearbox automatically returns to 1st at walking pace.  I believe this action causes less wear on the clutches than leaving the DSG to do its thing.

My other criticism of DSG is the half-second delay between release of brake pedal and take-up of drive.  But driving with this delay becomes second nature in a very short while.  Give me DSG over manual any day!

The short delay did take me a little to get used to, the only previous auto's i had driven were with slushboxes (torque converters and planetary gears) that were always trying to pull away even with the brake applied.

The DSG was reeeally nice to drive with, the one i had didn't seem to have the little extra bit of travel on the accelerator known as the kick-down switch, instead just hitting 100% throttle would have the same effect, which was slightly annoying as i would have it at example 40mph in 3rd and id put my foot down, it would kick down to 2nd but that would already be almost at the rev limiter, it would scream for a moment before shifting back to 3rd.

My manual has the proper "kick down" switch which it has no use for (i cant even find the speed limiter function which is another thing it's used for to bypass), i'm trying to source a pedal without the kick-down switch as it just bothers me when i put my foot down, even though i know that its already at 100% throttle, my foot still wants to push that bit further. That and id just prefer a nice solid feel to the pedal.