New KESSY key with motion sensor

RCC49

I’d be interested to hear of anyone else’s views or experiences regarding this topic.  I collected my new Karoq 1.5 Tsi SEL DSG 2 days ago, and very pleased with it I am too.  In my eagerness to get out of the showroom and actually enjoy driving it, I forgot to ask if the car had been supplied with the new keys.  A couple of incidents over the first 2 days made me wonder though.  I always drive with my keys in my pocket (I had a Passat previously, with keyless ignition, but not keyless entry, so became accustomed to having the keys in my pocket), currently jeans pocket, but jacket pocket in cooler weather.  A few times when getting out of the car after driving, I’ve attempted to lock the car by touching the sensor on the handle, and it has refused to lock, leading me to press the lock button on the key to lock it.  I began to wonder if it actually did have the new keys, and I’ve just conducted an experiment.  I taped the key to the front driver’s side tyre, then checked that I could unlock/lock the car by touching the handle, which I could.  I then left the key there for 20 minutes, then went out to try to unlock the car by gripping the door handle.  It wouldn’t unlock.  I removed the key from the tyre, gave it a little shake for good measure, then tried again, and the car unlocked.  I don’t know if this is sufficiently conclusive to prove that the keys do have motion sensors.  I could check with the dealer, but I’m not overly confident that they would be able to provide a definitive answer.  Anyone have any observations?  Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I collected my Karoq 1.5 TSI SE-L just under a fortnight ago. The dealer told me specifically that it had the new motion sensor keys. Reading more on 'tinterweb though seems that the signals continue for around fifteen minutes after the key was last moved. Seems far too long for me.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CreamBun said:

I collected my Karoq 1.5 TSI SE-L just under a fortnight ago. The dealer told me specifically that it had the new motion sensor keys. Reading more on 'tinterweb though seems that the signals continue for around fifteen minutes after the key was last moved. Seems far too long for me.

A little slow, but still well worth having - a genuinely  useful development.

13 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

A little slow, but still well worth having - a genuinely  useful development.

But does this mean that you have to wait for 15 minutes in order to check that the key disablement has worked? At least, with the old system, you could disable kessy by touching the handle within 5secs of locking with the button on the key, then pull the handle to check that it was locked. Can you similarly disable kessy with the new motion-sensing key?

• 3 months later...

As I understand it, the pre-MY20 Kessy keys were transmitting a weak radio signal at all times - and hence the frequent complaints about the batteries only lasting a year even in a spare unused key. 

Now presumably the motion detector Kessy keys turn off the radio signal after not being moved for 15 minutes - say when the key is hung up overnight, or left in a handbag at work - but not when it is in your pocket as you walk around. So are people seeing a longer battery life in the new keys??  

I think the main drive for this is the security aspect. So even if the keys are within range of the car in the house or within range of one of those signal boosters that criminals use it won't be transmitting so the car can't be stolen.

Oh I quite agree Phil, Thatcham now require it to give a car a decent security rating, but I was just wondering if a longer battery life would be an added bonus :)

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Guys 

KESSY Update:

I had a call from our brilliant dealership (Simpsons of Preston) last week advising that our new Scala SEL DSG 1.0L has a build date of week 33. The beginning of August, and that it will be a Model Year (MY) 2021 with the new "MY" upgrades. Hopefully it will be here for September as our current Karoq P.C.H. ends then. (I am assured I will not be left without a vehicle whatever happens!)

Amongst the upgrades is “KESSY” and to quote Škoda “In the optional KESSY keyless vehicle entry system, the transmitter signal now deactivates if the key has not been moved for five minutes, instead of the previous 15 minutes

Some of the other 2021 MY changes are: A new steering wheel / Kessy operating on all four doors (? - Certainly on some models though dealer could not confirm on Scala) / Modified engines across the Škoda range to Euro 6d standard  / Multifunction storage pocket underneath the boot cover for extra storage (Coats etc)  / An activated carbon filter that can also remove allergens from the air and one or two other minor items. I am given to understand that the Karoq also gets many of the new "upgrades"

I'm looking forward to the Scala. It will be our fourth Škoda - Two Yeti and a Karoq so far and all been completely fault free! And yes, they have all been DSG! - I hate to say it but the Karoq has the Yeti beaten in my opinion! That's something I thought I would NEVER say!!

Hope the above info is helpful - Stay safe and well..............Tony

21 minutes ago, Great Yeti said:

Hi Guys 

KESSY Update:

Amongst the upgrades is “KESSY” and to quote Škoda “In the optional KESSY keyless vehicle entry system, the transmitter signal now deactivates if the key has not been moved for five minutes, instead of the previous 15 minutes

That's an interesting change, and sounds worthwhile. If they carry on shortening the 'on' period we'll have to jump up and down as we approach our car soon :)

Chris

PS: I do wish Skoda would publish all the MY21 changes soon, this constant trickle of news is really annoying! I've had no details about the build date for my Karoq yet, so am very hopeful I'll be getting a MY21 car too, and can add the 360 Vision Area View to it :)

Hi CJJE

It’s all out there if you know where to look (Google Search is your friend!):

Click on the links....

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

All pretty much the same narrative but it may help.

If you are thinking of adding the 360 Vision to your order, it may be best to do it sooner than later as it can affect your Build Week. It can lead to a delayed build, but on occasions, has brought the Build Week forward! It all depends on what slots the factory have available and additions can and do change things. Best of luck!.......Tony

PS: I was fortunate enough to be in Portugal when they had the International Launch for the Kodiaq (2016 / 17?) . We blagged a demo from one of the demo crew. Only round the test track for about 30 minutes or so but WOW! What an eye opener that was then. The 360 vision coupled with autonomous vehicle maneuvering totally blew our minds. It is VERY impressive!!!!

Hi Great Yeti, 

Yes I'd seen those pages, but hadn't noticed the change to the Scala KESSY key. I wonder if that will be carried over to the other models too? There's no mention of it doing so. 

I've already flagged to my sales guy that I want 360 Vision added (and had asked about it at the time of my order, complaining that it was on the Kodiaq and Ateca but not the Karoq) - now we're just waiting for Skoda UK to publish the price for it. I've seen the updated Skoda France pricelist with it in, so am expecting it to add around £500 to my order. 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi again Great Yeti,

This news release https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/skoda-karoq-kodiaq-and-superb-begin-2021-model-year-with-new-infotainment-generation/ also applies to the Scala if you read down far enough, so you should be getting an updated infotainment system too, and the option of a USB C socket by the rear mirror to power a dashcam!

Chris

13 hours ago, Macdemon said:

Even less hassle is to deactivate kessy when you lock the car. 

tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJJE said:

Hi again Great Yeti,

This news release https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/skoda-karoq-kodiaq-and-superb-begin-2021-model-year-with-new-infotainment-generation/ also applies to the Scala if you read down far enough, so you should be getting an updated infotainment system too, and the option of a USB C socket by the rear mirror to power a dashcam!

Chris

Hi Chris. Many thanks for the update.

I very much like the idea of the additional USB C port by the rear view mirror. I note it says "Optional" so obviously an extra cost item. No sign of it being listed on the configurator yet so no idea of what the cost might be. Probably academic for me as my Build Week is only about 3 weeks away, so probably too late to request a change without possibly compromising an early (on time for me) delivery. Just checked the latest brochure (06/20) and it's not listed there yet, but I did notice that they have priced 2 USB C ports in the center armrest at £100!!!. Crazy!! actual cost of the components to build a twin USB power outlet would be about £1. I know because I did it on our first Yeti (See picture attached). Brilliant when placed in the Yeti Top-Box where it housed the Sat-Nav and gave me a charging point for my phone as well plus a small 12v power socket.

Ahh well! No problem, I will just run a small USB power cable as usual to my Mobius dash cam. I have done it on the past two Skodas and it is pretty easy to hide the cable behind the "A" pillar trim, avoiding compromising the air bag in the process!  It usually only takes me about 30 minutes to do an install. so not a big deal but that extra port would have made it really easy. Thanks again for the heads-up. Greatly appreciated!....................Tony

Yeti Sat-Nav (07).JPG

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

Wrong 

It's £130 for the USB socket near the rear view mirror 

The French price is 60 Euro as shown in the link I attached on the 14th of July, but the UK price list that has been issued since my post does indeed charge £130 for the same item! Either we're being taken for a ride, or Skoda UK is expecting the Sterling exchange rate to slump disastrously!!

(As I commented in this thread: 

on the 21st of July when the UK price list was issued!)

Edited by CJJE

54 minutes ago, CJJE said:

The French price is 60 Euro as shown in the link I attached on the 14th of July, but the UK price list that has been issued since my post does indeed charge £130 for the same item! Either we're being taken for a ride, or Skoda UK is expecting the Sterling exchange rate to slump disastrously!

bonjour.

Regarding the French price list, doesn't that C-port only come as part of a pack? It may say 60 Euro but the reality is you have to buy other things the cheapest of which is traffic sign recog.

So if you buy the UK version and buy a pint for someone to enable the speed camera via VCDS then you're better off than the French. Sacre bleu !

Of course all that is assuming the pricelists and configurators are accurate. :D

PS build date?  I have a build date anywhere from 16 weeks to end of January on the Kodiaq. I'm presuming they meant Jan 2021.

Edited by Guest

Hi Scot5,

That could well be the explanation, but the UK price list doesn't say anything else is included with the extra USB-C socket to justify the extra cost.