My next car?

Well no show for Octavia Mk 4 in Frankfurt - and a French dealer told me 6 or 8 months before they get the new model.

I want a new car in January so its likely to be a Mk 3.  I would like a manual 1.5 - surely they will have sorted the engine out by then?

I usually go through brokers - so a Mk 3 will probably be 2K cheaper than a new model anyway.  My ideal spec would be SE Tech - but problems getting a purchase deal - might only be PCH options.  An SE Drive would be OK if I could opt for 16 inch wheels.

Finally what are dealers saying re a Brexit surcharge probability?

Any advice/comments welcome.

It is a fact that in March this year the UK Government published a Schedule of Tariffs that would apply in the event of a No Deal Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47551266

We don't yet know whether there will be a No Deal Brexit, and given the level of uncertainty affecting the Government it is possible that the plans might change.

I suspect that the dealerships are aware of this, but why would they tell the customers if it was going to cost them a sale?

Quote from above article "Imports of cars from the EU will have a tariff of 10% applied, which would add £1,500 to a typical family car.

Volkswagen has already said the cost would be passed on to the buyer."  

Different manufacturers have different approaches to Brexit, I will be picking my new Volvo up in November (just after we supposedly leave the EU) Volvo have guaranteed my price pre Brexit as long as the order was placed before we leave.

I was hoping to get a Skoda, but one of the things that put me off was that they were completely non committal on the issue, I just couldn't have the uncertainty hanging over me. 

I guess we will know more over the next few weeks 

The best you can do is ask for a price guarantee when you make a deal.When ordering a Kia for a June delivery June for SWMBO, this was confirmed. The May Brexit did not happen.

You might get a purchase price guarantee (that someone else will absorb any import duty) 

but probably won't be able to get a finance guarantee (they are usually indicative, and rates could change)

You also run the risk of the spec you order being pulled from the range up to the time it is built, so your order either voids, or you need to change it to whatever is available (at new price prevailing at the time)

I guess the thing is the dealers don't know if there will be a no deal Brexit but it looks as though they will be passing on the 10%  tariff if so.  Could you wait and see before ordering, you could probably still have a car in Jan 2020 with a fair wind. (After all that is not guaranteed if you order now).  Alternatively if you have to order before the situation becomes clear could you negotiate a lower deposit, maybe £500 so you can walk away and only lose that if things look bad? 

38 minutes ago, bigiainw said:

With the demise of the Octavia Scout inthe UK, I'm off to a Kodiaq for my next lease. Quite looking forward to it, but it will have to be really good to compare with the Octavia.

News of this had passed me by, but yes it is true, or at least for now.  It may be related to the end of Octavia 3 and start of Octavia 4.  I seem to remember a similar hiatus in the Scouts when the Octavia 3 came out.  They have also dropped the Octavia L&K.  Is that flagship model really gone for good?  I guess it could be, as the Superb and Kodiaq are the real flagships these days. 

Fortunately my Octavia Scout is only 4 years old and has a lot of life left in it. I believe in keeping my cars for a long time if they are still reliable, and it will probably be a few years before I am looking for my next car.

2 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

News of this had passed me by, but yes it is true, or at least for now.  It may be related to the end of Octavia 3 and start of Octavia 4.  I seem to remember a similar hiatus in the Scouts when the Octavia 3 came out.  They have also dropped the Octavia L&K.  Is that flagship model really gone for good?  I guess it could be, as the Superb and Kodiaq are the real flagships these days. 

Fortunately my Octavia Scout is only 4 years old and has a lot of life left in it. I believe in keeping my cars for a long time if they are still reliable, and it will probably be a few years before I am looking for my next car.

My Scout will only be 2 years old (Imy second one, the first was a 16 plate) when it goes but that's the downside of leasing- I don't have the option to buy and to be honest I really like having a new car every 2 years, but i will miss it- it hasn't missed a beat and is so comfortable and civilsied that if I could hve, i would have had another, but with the Octy 4 still being the best part of a year away, it wasn't to be.

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody is interested this is the result of my query/research.

My current car is one of the very last Scirroco's on a PCH. 
I have ordered a Race Blue 1.5TSI Drive hatch for delivery next year - it will be a 2020 car but not a Mk4 obviously.
I went for the cash deal rather than PCH though Octavia's are a bargain either way.
With my 5K+ discount I hope to get a couple of cheapish years motoring before moving to something like a Kamiq or T Cross next time.
Incidently I had never seen a 'Drive' before finally finding a dealer with one on display.

This could be the end of the story but perhaps it will have a Brexit twist along the line?

Apropos your comments about the 1.5 TSI  engine ...I have just taken delivery of a new Octavia 1.5 TSE SE L Estate with a manual gearbox .

I have been able put a couple of hundred miles on it so far and have to report it drives beautifully with no signs whatsoever of hesitation, stuttering or the "kangaroo"

behaviour that have been reported by some owners. It is a very good package with most of the toys that make driving enjoyable and the LED lights are simply the best headlights I have had on any car.

Regards

21 minutes ago, Llwyngwernog said:

Apropos your comments about the 1.5 TSI  engine ...I have just taken delivery of a new Octavia 1.5 TSE SE L Estate with a manual gearbox .

I have been able put a couple of hundred miles on it so far and have to report it drives beautifully with no signs whatsoever of hesitation, stuttering or the "kangaroo"

behaviour that have been reported by some owners. It is a very good package with most of the toys that make driving enjoyable and the LED lights are simply the best headlights I have had on any car.

Regards

Love those FL LED headlights.