Michelin cross climate tyres

Stuart-h

Any one used or got fitted Michelin cross climate tyres fitted on there cars ? 

im debating weather to get a set fitted when the current set wears out. 

any one know what there like ?

Autoexpress have just done their annual Winter tyre test and included their best All Season tyre - Continental AllSeasonContact so they could be worth considering instead of the Michelin which were last years technology

42 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

So many threads in the tyre section and in various other sections it is worth a BRISKODA search. 

There are no less than 6 threads on cross climate tyres in first 4 pages of this section

Maybe they could all be merged

Why do people open new threads when one exists ?

• 1 year later...

As noted several times in other threads, I was disappointed with the modest improvement in ride & noise levels when I changed down to 16" wheels with X-climates on my previous Yeti, but I must admit that the steering response still felt just as good as before with 17" summer Dunlops.  So depends what you want, as unlike the X climates, handling with most AW tyres tends to get a bit softer, but that's OK in my book.  A friend complained about a worsened ride when he fitted X climates to his BMW mini, but they are XL tyres.

Goodyear Gen 3 seem the best all round in that tyre reviews AW review, but Bridgestone offering even better for ride, which does interest me.

Thanks for that link to the X-Climate 2, interesting.  Not sure, but it seems to be suggested it's aimed at the American Market (no great effort to make it low rolling resistance) so wonder if it's the same new X Climate we'll get in Europe next year.  It wasn't noted, but the curved rather than flat may also be good for ride quality, as well as for wet grip.  I'll look forward to reading comparative reviews in due course.

Whilst watching the YouTube, there was a link to 5 emerging battery technologies - including the forthcoming Tesla/Panasonic 4680 + solid state electrolyte a few years later.  It seems the environmental drawbacks of current EV batteries, will gradually diminish as technology improves, but maybe talk about this sometime, elsewhere on Briskoda.

On 05/12/2020 at 08:05, croquemonsieur said:

As noted several times in other threads, I was disappointed with the modest improvement in ride & noise levels when I changed down to 16" wheels with X-climates on my previous Yeti, but I must admit that the steering response still felt just as good as before with 17" summer Dunlops. 

The Yeti uses 7Jx16 ET45 rims for 16" tyres.

7J is quite wide for a 215/60R16 tyre. This would help explain the hard ride and the good steering response, as a relatively wide rim compared to the tyre width not only makes the ride harder but improves the steering response. As far as ride quality goes, the Michelin CrossClimate+ is only available in XL versions for the 215/60R16 tyre size...which again will make the ride a little harder. However, the wide rim will have a bigger negative effect on the ride quality than the XL rating of the tyre.

The Karoq by comparison uses a much narrower 6J rim for its 215/60R15 tyre size (or 225/60R16 in the case of the 4x4 version). The ride will be much softer when fitting a 215/60R16 tyre to a 6J rim compared to fitting a 215/60R16 tyre to a much wider 7J rim.

Edited by Carlston

Thanks, I'd forgotten that.  I see the 215/55R17 standard Karoq tyre uses a 7J wheel, even though the tyre width is still 215.  So that 6J width on top of the slightly higher tyre profile with 16" wheels should lead to a noticeable ride improvement, though no doubt suffering a modest reduction in steering response.  Appeals to me.

Though many like the sharp handling of the Yeti, I did always find the Yeti steering feedback of some road surfaces a little tiring, particularly on longer distance drives.

Edited by croquemonsieur

Handy that the Steering Assist can be changed from the factory setting to give more assist or less assist as required as long as you can plug in and make that change.

Brake Assist can be changed as can XDS / XDS+.

Some do this as they change the tyres width or to suit winter driving by maybe reducing the Steering Assistance.

I recently had the Bridgestone Weather Control tyres fitted, to the front tyres, to our Galaxy and I'm very impressed with them. They grip very well where I would be spinning up on the old conti 5s.

Also on our Fabia I fitted some Imperial all season tyres, on the back, so far so good but not had chance to throughly test them due to lock down.

• Confused 1

On 12/12/2020 at 09:52, tuono01 said:

I recently had the Bridgestone Weather Control tyres fitted, to the front tyres, to our Galaxy and I'm very impressed with them. They grip very well where I would be spinning up on the old conti 5s.

Also on our Fabia I fitted some Imperial all season tyres, on the back, so far so good but not had chance to throughly test them due to lock down.

What's on the back?  I thought it was  dangerous to fit different type of tyres front and back as you would get differing grip levels.  i.e. when you brake the front's would grip and the rears wouldn't so you could spin or lose the back end when cornering.

• Like 1

That might happen, but then if the same tyres were on the front as on the rear then when it happened you might have no steering or braking ability.

If the ones on the back are total rubbish then best change them, if they are OK and you drive to the conditions of what is fitted front and rear maybe no issues then.

Better grip at the rear on a FWD car or one with Haldex is as much use as a chocolate fire guard as you skid into a strainer post or dry stain dyke when the front tyres hit the ice, mud, gravel, surface water, oil or what ever that you never knew was there or that you were driving at around a bend.

Many drivers have never dealt with under steer or over steer and known what it was or how to deal with it.

Maybe just they know to steer into a skid, or not, or just shut their eyes.

Having grip at the tyres that steer & put down the drive does help getting the back end in line if it is trying to overtake you.

Many have no idea that the ESP is nipping at the back brakes when it is.

Safest thing is do not run around with crap tyres at either end of a vehicle or on any corner and that might mean do not have summer tyres on a car in wet or cold weather unless you are being very very careful.

Edited by e-Roottoot

3 hours ago, farty said:

The tyres with the better grip should be on the rear as drivers are better able to handle understeer than oversteer.  

Which drivers are better able to handle understeer than oversteer?  I'd much rather be hanging the tail out and correcting and holding the slide than going head first off the road in terminal understeer. 

I remember that Costco used to trot out that old chestnut in the days when I used to go in to have a pair of new Michelins fitted to my Citroën BX.  They would only agree to fit them to the rear.  I'd promptly go home and swap the wheels front to rear.

Edited by Schtum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

That might happen, but then if the same tyres were on the front as on the rear then when it happened you might have no steering or braking ability.

If the ones on the back are total rubbish then best change them, if they are OK and you drive to the conditions of what is fitted front and rear maybe no issues then.

I was thinking all seasons on one axle and summers on the back! Probably okish in the dry,  but on cold wet road or on  a bit of ice or snow?

@farty  just get out and do the driving winter after winter in various vehicles and see how it goes.

All the experts and all the tyres in the world are right until they are wrong.

Get a car on a road with a camber and not some skid pad.

Just do not fit sh!te tyres to cars you or others drive and especially the cars you look after for loved ones.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I do not want to get into a squabble..  If the roads here are deep in snow I can just wait.  I don't think it is ever a good idea to fit better grip tyres on the front.  It's a terrible idea to mix summer and winter tyres front and rear.

Edited by farty

You can go out with good front tyres on a FWD car and rag a car around a car park, road or where ever and swing the back end around even with the hand brake on.

You can not do much just driving on a road normally with ABS if you touch the brakes and the car just skids on.

Taking worn tyres off the rear of a car and fitting those to the front and new ones on the rear of a FWD car can be a very big mistake.

Just say no!

Do not fit crap tyres to your vehicle or leave ones on when getting just a pair of new tyres.

Edited by e-Roottoot