Summer tyres recommendation for Sportline 4x4

have a 2018 Superb Sportline 280 hp (4x4) so time to get a set of new tyres. Very few people use winter tyres in Ireland so will go for summer tyres.

Nokian Powerproof seem to get good reviews and other than that, not sure what to get (Bridgestone Turanza or Continental Premium Contact 6).

Any thoughts?

Bridgestone may be noisy compared to Conti.

A bit surprised by the "GT" tyre types, you mention for a TSI 280. I would rather suggest Continental ContiSportContact 6 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 instead, probably more efficient for such an engine and not less confortable... ;) 

8 hours ago, dubincalling said:

have a 2018 Superb Sportline 280 hp (4x4) so time to get a set of new tyres. Very few people use winter tyres in Ireland so will go for summer tyres.

Nokian Powerproof seem to get good reviews and other than that, not sure what to get (Bridgestone Turanza or Continental Premium Contact 6).

Any thoughts?

Didn't think there would be too many 280's sold over here............what colour is it, I'll keep an eye out around Naas for you.

My 190 Diesel had Pirelli P Zero Nero GT on it when I got it........fantastic grip and I got 50,000kms out of the fronts (just a little noisy)

6 hours ago, k.young said:

Didn't think there would be too many 280's sold over here.

No, don't think so either. Have only seen one come up for sale and that was second hand on Carzone (Red, estate, Wicklow dealer - looked to be an Irish car as I couldn't see any mph on the speedo).

With them starting (new) at over €52,000 before options - I don't think the roads will ever get paved with Irish ones. Maybe a few UK imports but even they can seem to be silly money once the vehicle registration tax is paid. Revenue don't even have the model on the VRT calculator - the closest seems to be a 220 Tsi SE.

8 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Michelin PS4. Can't go wrong.

+1.  I fitted a set in early Summer and they are the best Summer tyres I've ever had, incl. the other UHP offerings from Conti, GY and Pirelli (though these were earlier versions of what's available now)

I was toying with the PS4S' but reviews led me to the conclusion that normal road speeds/conditions don't warrant the extra performance over the PS4.  The new Conti Sport Contact was another I considered but early reports indicated that their wear rate was shocking, which I've always found typical of Conti tyres..don't expect them to last much more than 10K miles.  

One thing to note with the PS4, they do drone a little on poor surfaces.  I know most tyres will but they seem worse; the rest of the time they are fine and don't ruin the ride. 

14 hours ago, k.young said:

Didn't think there would be too many 280's sold over here............what colour is it, I'll keep an eye out around Naas for you.

My 190 Diesel had Pirelli P Zero Nero GT on it when I got it........fantastic grip and I got 50,000kms out of the fronts (just a little noisy)

It was the only one in the country for a good few months and I lost track after it.

It is an absolutely stunning car

Edited by dubincalling

12 hours ago, dubincalling said:

sorry guys, 235/40/19. Car is fitted with Bridgestone Turanza's but feel they are noisy and the Nokian's art 155 euro seem quieter.

PS4 are about 200 each...

Look on mytyres ebay outlet.  They will offer multi-tyre discounts too: 

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/mytyres/Summer-Tyres-/_i.html?_nkw=235%2F40 R19&rt=nc&_fsub=4358116012&_sacat=mytyres&_sid=114962842&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

You can get the PS4's and other UHP tyres for £150-165.  Conti SC6's are £620 and something like the Falken Azenis FK510 would also be worth a look.  +1 to the Hankooks Ventus S1's mentioned above, also worth a look. 

Eg; 

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres/falken/fk510/235-40-r19-96-y-xl.html

HTH 

Edited by penguin17

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted Michelin PS4Ss because everyone seems to think they are great. But I’m not very impressed. They are quite a hard tyre and thus noisy, harsh and a little lacking in grip. Well, I am comparing to the Kumhos I had before which are a fairly soft tyre.

Of course the PS4Ss are wearing much better than the Kumhos, that is the up side of a hard tyre. I only got 10k from my Kumhos and now with 12k on the PS4Ss they still have plenty of tread left. Probably good for 20k. My driving is mostly on quiet, fast twisty scottish country roads so wear rates will be relatively high compared to motorway cruising.

I shall revert back to Kumhos because there is no point in spoiling an expensive gas guzzling performance car with hard “motorway tyres”, just to save a bit of money. The Kumhos by the way, are a fair bit cheaper than PS4S but not enough difference to cater for the shorter life. It helps though!

On 02/10/2019 at 12:39, TheRobinK said:

No, don't think so either. Have only seen one come up for sale and that was second hand on Carzone (Red, estate, Wicklow dealer - looked to be an Irish car as I couldn't see any mph on the speedo).

With them starting (new) at over €52,000 before options - I don't think the roads will ever get paved with Irish ones. Maybe a few UK imports but even they can seem to be silly money once the vehicle registration tax is paid. Revenue don't even have the model on the VRT calculator - the closest seems to be a 220 Tsi SE.

The Red one is mine, i put it for sale due to our plan to migrate to continent, however we decided to postpone this decision for a year at least so i withdraw this offer at once.

And about tires there is only 1 option mentioned already here and is Michelin PS4. And now is coming with a deal, u got 100e refund from Michelin if u buy a set of tyres.

On 21/10/2019 at 12:34, nicknorman said:

I fitted Michelin PS4Ss because everyone seems to think they are great. But I’m not very impressed. They are quite a hard tyre and thus noisy, harsh and a little lacking in grip. Well, I am comparing to the Kumhos I had before which are a fairly soft tyre.

Of course the PS4Ss are wearing much better than the Kumhos, that is the up side of a hard tyre. I only got 10k from my Kumhos and now with 12k on the PS4Ss they still have plenty of tread left. Probably good for 20k. My driving is mostly on quiet, fast twisty scottish country roads so wear rates will be relatively high compared to motorway cruising.

I shall revert back to Kumhos because there is no point in spoiling an expensive gas guzzling performance car with hard “motorway tyres”, just to save a bit of money. The Kumhos by the way, are a fair bit cheaper than PS4S but not enough difference to cater for the shorter life. It helps though!

I've seen many MK3 owners making feedbacks about PS4, but very few on PS4S... 🤔