1.5 TSI vs 1.6 TDI

solarfusion

My lease on my Karoq 1.5 TSI is up next March so I'm looking at options. I quite fancy a DSG model this time but the lease prices go up quite a bit.

There are however some good deals going on the 1.6 TDI models. Anyone have any experience of how they compare? Looking at the figures I'm worried it might be a bit slow of the mark but I probably rarely put my foot to the floor to get to 60 the 8.9 seconds quoted here in the TSI if I'm honest.

I get roughly 400 miles per tank doing about 40 miles a day mixed between motorway and town driving. What sort of mileage are people getting from a tank from the 1.6 TDI

Thanks

Can’t answer your specific query, but thought I’d highlight some attractive lease deals I’ve seen available on KODIAQ 1.5tsi SE-L recently, with auto available for just a couple of quid a month more than manual. 

Example I’d seen for manual over 3-years was £1528.78 + 35x£254.80 based on 10k miles per annum. An admin fee of £180 would also be payable at time of order through broker.

Could work well for you as delivery is indicated for March on a 20-plate. 

Hi solarfusion

I have been using the 1.6tdi dsg Karoq for the last two weeks whilst my 1.5tsi 

Sel manual was with the dealer having warranty work done. I must say I was quite surprised by the performance, at first it seemed slow on the pick up but if you wanted to get out of a junction quickly and floored the accelerator it was quicker than the 1.5 TSI engine and also the torquier engine was better uphill with four adults in. Consumption wise it returned an average of 51 mpg in real terms based on brim to brim filling at the same filling station. A regular trip of 8 miles in the 1.5 TSI would return 51mpg and the 1.6 TDI would return 63 mpg both cars were accurate to within 2 mpg of what the cars on board readings said and an actual calculated mpg based on using about 45 litres of fuel. All in all a surprisingly pleasant vehicle to drive considering the size of the engine.

• Like 2

I can only agree with what Peachysheff has said,I have just purchased a 1.6 TDI in SEL spec with DSG and I am more than happy with the performance,I to was a little sceptical seeing the output is stated as same as the 1.0 TSI,but after test driving ,I was very surprised. I have just traded in a VW CC with 180HP TDI engine and I can honestly I havent found the Karoq wanting at all.Its a bit too early to give any accurate information on economy but all reports seem to say that it is remarkably frugal.

• Like 1

Thanks Peachysheff and Steve. That's really helpful.

Must admit I do miss the uphill torque I used to get out of my old 140 TDI Leon.

Sounds like you'd probably get about 500 miles per tank on the 1.6 TDI.

As others have said here, you'll be quite impressed by it, particularly when mated to a dsg. 

Had an octy hire car for a few days last year with the 1.6tdi and was pleasantly surprised by it. You would never describe it as fast but it certainly did the job admirably well as it is much torquier feeling than the smaller tsi units (we were loaded up with 2 adults, 2 children and a boot crambed with luggage. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 2

Mine is a manual 1.6 sel, had it since April and just about to clock up 10k. It replaced a 1.6 Octavia, impressed with how smooth and quiet it is. Taken us to Holland and the other end of Germany. It does a mixture of motorway, a road and crowded south London on a daily basis. It won’t win any races but it had more than enough go for everyday use and certainly on our long runs was more than adequate to keep up with the traffic. Don’t keep a close tally on the mpg but 500 or so miles per tank is about right. 

• Like 2