Quick help please! Broken breather pipe??

We have a 1.2 2014 Roomster. For a week or so we've had a petrol smell coming into the cabin when the car isn't moving. I've just had a look and this pipe is loose. 

I think I can see the hole where the bit coming out of the side is supposed to go. Does it just push back in or has something snapped off?

We're supposed to be driving the boy from Bristol to Bournemouth tomorrow. It's not caused a problem yet but do we need it fixed first before we drive it?

Thanks

breather.jpeg

A bit has broken off, and you don't want to push that bit into the engine by trying to reattach that photographed bit.

Fairly common problem I think. Folks who've had it happen will probably be along soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is the PCV valve and brakes easily. It senses the pressure on the cylinder head (if i remember well). It is quiet cheap and easy job. This is the part number 

PCV valve (Ventil) : 030103175B

Please take a look in my case as it is the same. A few moths ago I had to replace it again. 

• Like 1

I serviced my car this weekend, and was not surprised to find a broken off PCV valve. I stripped a welding rod of it's coating and bent it to a 2-3mm 90 degree hook in the end, which made it possible to remove the left over piece of the valve from the valve cover.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was giving my engine a wipe round and I found a small accumulation of dirt and oil around where it pushes into the manifold. When wiggling it it does not appear to have an airtight connection which explains the residue. The other end plugs into the air intake. What is its purpose and function? If it was supposed to provide an airtight seal it obviously does not.

• 1 month later...

Went to Heathrow today to drop off son: an 80 mile return trip. I was conscience of the broken PCV pipe but I felt that fuel consumption suffered and on two occasions while stationery I smelt petrol fumes in the cabin. Returned home and inspected the engine block where the plastic end is supposed to fit. There was a slight increase in oil residue around the block but nothing to worry about. I won't be doing many miles before a new valve is fitted.

Edited by edbostan

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was broken when I bought mine six months ago, and I think it had been off for quite a while based on oil residue. fitting a new one only saw the petrol fumes at idle go away, no change on mileage really.

It must be the wiggle of the engine flexing the valve. You would have thought the connection would be flexible to allow for this. On reflection I dont think consumption suffered but the challenging driving conditions on the M25 and flooded by-roads.

The car drives silky smooth and idles quieter since the valve was replaced. Just a thought - do they break when the air box is removed to replace the air filter? If this is the case then care has to be exercised either by yourself or the Skoda technician.