Oil confusion

I've not yet asked the dealer, but it's pointless asking them as you'd never get an honest answer as long as I've got a hole in my.......polo.

Any road, I've just been having a look at my last service slip just to remind me how much to expect to be paying. On my last service just on 12 months ago, it had the oil changed and I've only just noticed the oil which was used; Shell Helix Ultra Pro 0W/30. Now, if I'd have noticed at the time I would certainly have said something, as the owners book says it should be VW 507.00 or 5W/30.

Now the plot thickens. I've had a google regarding oils for the car and the vast majority of sites (halfrauds, opie, castrol) all say 5W30 LL. Whereas, Shell's site is happy to offer 0W/30 as the primary choice and 5W/30 as the secondary choice. On the 0W/30's spec, it does say it conforms to both 504 and 507 standard.

So from Shell's point of view, the car should be ticking along fine with said oil in it. You'd assume (rightly or wrongly) the garage should know what oil to be putting in which engines.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

thanks

As long as the oil conforms to VW 507 spec it will be fine. Just be careful some oils say recommend for VW 507 use which is different to it actually conforming to VW spec.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

As long as the oil conforms to VW 507 spec it will be fine. Just be careful some oils say recommend for VW 507 use which is different to it actually conforming to VW spec.

I thought just as much, thanks.

0W/30 grade oil would be that little more beneficial in the colder weather any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tunedude said:

I thought just as much, thanks.

0W/30 grade oil would be that little more beneficial in the colder weather any way.

Exactly. Don't get too hung up on the number before the 'W' (I believe it's stands for winter) . An oil is always thicker when cold compared to it's 'operating' temperature rating so the lower that first number then the faster it will get round the engine from a 'cold start'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hatchy said:

Exactly. Don't get too hung up on the number before the 'W' (I believe it's stands for winter) . An oil is always thicker when cold compared to it's 'operating' temperature rating so the lower that first number then the faster it will get round the engine from a 'cold start'.

Yeah I understand all what the grades of oil were. It was more a case of one site says one things and another site is saying something different. They put specific oils in for a reason. But yes, if they'd have thrown 10W/40 oil in, I would be concerned for my turbo.

The nearest oil to what you've written that features on the Approved oils list to 504/507 is this one, so I guess that's what it was.

You can view this approved oil list just by registering and logging in at erWin Skoda by the way. Link on RHS of homepage.

Helix Ultra Professional AV-L

SAE 0W-30

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

The nearest oil to what you've written that features on the Approved oils list to 504/507 is this one, so I guess that's what it was.

You can view this approved oil list just by registering and logging in at erWin Skoda by the way. Link on RHS of homepage.

Helix Ultra Professional AV-L

SAE 0W-30

that was the one I assumed it was when I looked on Shell's website.

This may help any people like myself that get a surprise warning light pop up saying to check oil level. which was down to the bottom 1/4 on the dip stick range. After having had the car 6 months and it only had 4k miles on the clock when i got it, i'd heard oil consumption was high for the first 5k miles or so. my manual saud contact your local skoda dealer, very helpful. The skoda website section on oil had a small piece saying Castrol is approved for Skoda engines. So I then went over to the Castrol website and they have a very useful search filter: Manufacturer, model, engine. which yielded a product and so i went and ordered it off of Amazon. The specs matched up compared to those mentioned in the manual so was pretty confident I got the right one. Again, this is just how I went about trying to ID the oil in my engine/ a suitable one to put in. Hopefully someone may find it useful.

41 minutes ago, GregMech18 said:

Castol search result gave: "Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL" the amazon page listed its Product Specifications: SAE 5W-30; ACEA C3; MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51; Porsche C30; VW 504 00/ 507 00

This was the confusion I wanting clarified about the reason behind the different grades with the same VW rating.