Scala versus Rapid

Robbydazzler

I will have one in the next couple of weeks (Velvet red). But I will be comming from a Fabia III. But they are rather alike, at least inside, the Fabia and Rapid.

I will report back.

32 minutes ago, fum said:

I will have one in the next couple of weeks (Velvet red). But I will be comming from a Fabia III. But they are rather alike, at least inside, the Fabia and Rapid.

I will report back.

Different platform so should be a pretty good step up. The Fabia is been lagging behind the rest of group for a while now.

Yes, but the same kan be said about the Rapid. Not much love there either :-) From the testdrives in a comparable Scala to the one I ordered, its quite a step up. And I can't wait to get the 2-zone clima. I like it hot, 21-22 celsius, the wife like it colder, around 18. So it always ends with me freezing, and the wife sweating. Hope the 2-zone works.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my Scala for a month now. I can't compare it to a Rapid as my two previous cars were Octavias. So having downsized I knew I was getting a slower car. I like the design, it's much easier to park in town. Fuel economy better, I got 57mpg on a motorway run. Around town its great, on motorway okay, on twisty country roads up and down hills it struggles. My main gripes are the steering feels too light with almost no feedback, rear view mirror isn't good. At high speed it doesn't feel as stable as an Octavia. 

15 hours ago, ortmazar said:

I think you only get driving profiles with different steering weighting on the 1.5 engine

Have to ask the dealer to permanently adjust it then, or a member on here with VCDS.

Re driving it: The motor does free up after a few thousand miles, but the narrow torque band will still make gear selection critical on hills

Edited by camelspyyder

@ortmazar

What tyre pressures did the car come to you with and have you tried making adjustment to the tyre pressures to see the affect on stability and weight of it?

The steering can easily be set with more or less assistance at the Dealerships as that is a feature that is available for those requiring it maybe for a disability, 

or when fitting hand controls. Or even Winter or different tyres.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2019 at 09:26, Roottootemoot said:

@ortmazar

What tyre pressures did the car come to you with and have you tried making adjustment to the tyre pressures to see the affect on stability and weight of it?

The steering can easily be set with more or less assistance at the Dealerships as that is a feature that is available for those requiring it maybe for a disability, 

or when fitting hand controls. Or even Winter or different tyres.

Just been out to check it was 3.0 bar all round, reduced it to 2.4 bar, won't be going on a motorway for a while so don't know if I'll see the difference until then

• Thanks 1

@ortmazar

3.0 bar sounds like at the PDI the Technician or Fitter did not check and adjust the tyre pressures which is just dangerous and only too common.

I would be checking the tightness of the wheel bolts, and looking at the coolant lever and checking the oil level cold and then at Normal Operating Temp after stopping for a few minutes.

Then you know at least the level of the oil you received the car with in. 

I would also drop an email to the Dealer Principal telling them what the tyre pressures were when you checked.

Training required at that dealership, there is a corporate responsibility and the buch stops with the Top of the management.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Had the 2015 Spaceback with the Style Elegance package, the manual gearbox and 105 hp tsi motor. Upgraded it last month to the 2020 Scala Monte Carlo 150 hp automatic.

Had no problems with the Rapid but always fantasied about the having the Monte Carlo version with more power. When I first found the Scala Monte Carlo online I drove to the car dealer and after a week was happily driving back with my new car. Love the "body kit" and full Led lights, easier driving, better sound system, whole black interior with sportier seats and of course the digital gauges.

Of course the Scala with this stuff cost lots more then the basic version with the smaller engine but I got a good deal on the finance. Scala is a straight new version of Spaceback but with 10 years newer tech being used. I ordered the same parts that my Rapid had for the Scala from Superskoda and they were much more harder to install as a result of "advanced" engineering. Some parts are just stupid hard compared to the old "slap them on" technique.

So if you want to enjoy your old Rapid but want it to be a little better and you have the cash to do it, upgrading to Scala is the way.

ScalavsSpaceback.jpg.b18f2e334c05bcbbf0f81ea239ac8e75.jpg20200331_111852.jpg.22d12c8d3d2d7deeb5115a1071dce6ff.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 11:57, Tech1e said:

Different platform so should be a pretty good step up. The Fabia is been lagging behind the rest of group for a while now.

Had the Fabia caught up with the rest of the group I may have considered it!  Though to be honest, having lived with a brand new Fabia for a couple of weeks last year, I think I'd be much happier with the extra space in the Scala anyway.  For me the Mk IV Fabia cannot arrive quick enough

Cant comment on living with a Rapid vs a Scala, but the Scala certainly appears to be a lot more advanced with the former based on a rather ancient platform (even older than the Fabia's)

Edited by Tarby