So, tonights tea was..........................

Auric Goldfinger

8 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

my missus???? not a chance :rofl:

@Colin170CR 's missus and daughter did though

i wouldve eaten both of them quite happily... 

Tis true. Living in a house full of veggies (well only 1 now) is not great for a carnivore. Especially on Sundays when we almost lost the trad roast dinner:worried:

I do like to wind up the wife now & again though by doing some fried bacon or sausage sarnis for breakfast at the weekend. The smell of bacon wafting through the house on a Saturday morning gets her ex-carnivore juices going & I can see her looking longingly at the two rounds of sandwiches smothered in Tom sauce  or, if its sausages, tom sauce & fried onions. 

My inner demon is then satisfied :devil:  

• Like 1
  • Cheeky 1

On 21/03/2021 at 23:46, Colin170CR said:

... house full of veggies (well only 1 now)

Have you eaten all the others? :notme:

My Mum always told me to eat my veggies.

G

Edited by Gaz_
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gaz_ said:

Have you eaten all the others? :notme:

G

Ha Ha.

My daughter, Son (not veggie) & his girlfriend have all moved out so it's just the wife & me now.

Which, in a way, is even more difficult when it comes to mealtimes. At least before my son would be around to help with the carnivore portioning. Anything I prepare now has to be done on a small scale or, I'm eating it for days after which does get a bit tedious.

The Sunday roast is the most difficult. Unless I want to curry or mince the leftovers for days after it's small size joints of Pork, lamb, beef or chicken joints instead of a whole bird. Somehow it's just not the same. 

Hey ho. Summers coming & lockdown restrictions are easing so I'm looking forward to dusting off the BBQ, spit roaster & PIzza Oven for some outdoor cooking with friends (probably all I'm going to get in the way of a holiday this year anyway). I've still not quite mastered the mobile Pizza oven which needs more practice. It runs on wood pellets or propane gas. Gas gets reasonable results but the wood pellets (for extra wood fired oven flavour) needs more practice to keep the temperature up & prevent the pizza bases sticking to the stone.

Below is an wood pellet effort from last year which got a bit scorched around the edges but other than that was OK. However, the homemade dough was too wet & a bit too thick so I'm now leaning towards shop bought frozen dough for less faff, more consistency & easier prep. Once the oven is up to temperature (around 500c) the Pizzas only take 60-90 secs to cook so you need to be on your toes & prep all the different pizzas in advance so they can all be cooked one after the other & everyone can be served roughly at the same time. Can't wait.

Have I got your taste buds salivating yet?   

image.thumb.png.3783f06d19180a936154cd17054cd7ff.png        

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Another 4 pies to go. 

Just treat them as part of the series of sacrifices you have to make for family ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Amen to that. 

To pie, or not to pie, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mouth to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous veggies,
Or to take cutlery against a sea of nut cutlets
And by opposing avoid them.

(with apologies to William Shakespeare)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeTheThinker said:

To pie, or not to pie, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mouth to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous veggies,
Or to take cutlery against a sea of nut cutlets
And by opposing avoid them.

(with apologies to William Shakespeare)

A poet & you (& everybody else) didn't know it:D

Pretty good interpretation of the Bard though. :thumbup:

a10.png?resize=564%2C344&ssl=1

Elizabethan Pies (from https://www.star2.com/food/food-news/2016/04/23/shakespeare-in-love-with-food/)

Apparently Warden Pies were a (sorry, veggie but not vegan - pie crust would have animal products in it) Shakespearean delicacy and one referenced in his works:

Warden Pies

Made with brick hard pears, called Warden pears, these pies were open face tarts. They were often colored with spices to make the food bright, which was a Tudor era favorite. This need to make sure the pie was brightly colored is echoed in the direction of the Clown from The Winter’s Tale when he declares:

I must have saffron to colour the warden pies;
Act IV Scene 3

The Warden pears are even thought to have been part of soldier’s rations for the troops at the Battle of Agincourt, the battle featured in Shakespeare’s Henry V.

https://www.englandcast.com/2018/03/10-foods-from-shakespeares-plays-that-shakespeare-probably-ate-himself/

• Like 1

I pie with my little eye...

I have a Mrs Beatons cookbook which has wonderful pies such as 'lark'! You need a lot of larks however

I think a trip to M&S is due and a nice gravey rich pie is needed for tea :) 

11 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

a10.png?resize=564%2C344&ssl=1

Elizabethan Pies (from https://www.star2.com/food/food-news/2016/04/23/shakespeare-in-love-with-food/)

Apparently Warden Pies were a (sorry, veggie but not vegan - pie crust would have animal products in it) Shakespearean delicacy and one referenced in his works:

Warden Pies

Made with brick hard pears, called Warden pears, these pies were open face tarts. They were often colored with spices to make the food bright, which was a Tudor era favorite. This need to make sure the pie was brightly colored is echoed in the direction of the Clown from The Winter’s Tale when he declares:

I must have saffron to colour the warden pies;
Act IV Scene 3

The Warden pears are even thought to have been part of soldier’s rations for the troops at the Battle of Agincourt, the battle featured in Shakespeare’s Henry V.

https://www.englandcast.com/2018/03/10-foods-from-shakespeares-plays-that-shakespeare-probably-ate-himself/

A tart masquerading as a pie :ohmy:

All pies should have pastry sides with a top &, preferably contain meat, although non meat varieties are OK on occasions. 

Anything with fruit in it is a desert.   

I now have a choice of a chicken and leak, or a chicken with lots of gravy for my pie tea. Hmmm decisions  nom nom nom 

Mince and onion, and Lamb pies, in the freezer for another time 

24 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I now have a choice of a chicken and leak, or a chicken with lots of gravy for my pie tea. Hmmm decisions  nom nom nom 

Mince and onion, and Lamb pies, in the freezer for another time 

I think it's official - pies are contagious.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

So last night tea was the first of my butchers Pie Pack. 

Steak & Kidney. It was rather good & decent size for a single portion & with lashings of gravy. 

image.png.ec70511fb1bb334d95ff1d0ad2952665.png

Almost identical to what I had, except as I had the oven on for the pie I had roasties to go with it. Carrots and peas too and lots of gravy. Was gonna have fries but decided another day for them.

I have the Morrisons Steak and Ale or just steak (bakery fresh) two for £2 and they really are lovely.

2 minutes ago, Tilt said:

Almost identical to what I had, except as I had the oven on for the pie I had roasties to go with it. Carrots and peas too and lots of gravy. Was gonna have fries but decided another day for them.

I have the Morrisons Steak and Ale or just steak (bakery fresh) two for £2 and they really are lovely.

£2 is good value. Mine were £4 each as part a £20 5 pie package. I guess online butcher prices are higher than Supermarkets. 

3 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

A tart masquerading as a pie :ohmy:

All pies should have pastry sides with a top &, preferably contain meat, although non meat varieties are OK on occasions. 

Anything with fruit in it is a desert.   

Actually no...

Just a bottom is a Flan.

Just a top is a Pie.

A top and a bottom is a Tart.

• Confused 1

This chap disagrees

According to Matthew O'Callaghan, chairman of the British Pie Awards, being held on 22 April, a true pie has to have a filling completely enclosed in pastry. Anything not fitting this strict description is not eligible to enter.

• Like 1