All-season tyre choice for Rapid 215/40 17

WolfyWesty

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to replace the tyres on my Rapid, and I'm curious to know what all-season tyres other people use/recommend?

I'm currently leaning towards Firestone Roadhawks, but happy to hear what other people suggest!

Thanks,

Is that not an All-Season tyre as in you can leave the summer tyre on all year and it will be OK if it rains?

Not an 'All-weather' all year around tyre that will be OK in winter if cold or snowy for a while, or warm, wet, warm and wet, cold and wet.

Maybe the new Vredstein Quatrac Pro, or the old model, or Michelin CrossClimate.

Depends on your budget and needs, locations driven.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Can't comment on the Firestones.

However, can firmly recommend vredestein quatrac 5 or quatrac pro tyres (the pros come in your size, not sure on the 5's). They are typically well priced (for a mid range brand) last well, don't affect fuel economy too much and perform well in all conditions, from moderate UK snow right through to summer time. 

Also you may wish to consider Michelin crossclimates tyres, I haven't used them myself but they seem to be highly regarded by others on briskoda in other threads. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Is that not an All-Season tyre as in you can leave the summer tyre on all year and it will be OK if it rains?

Not an 'All-weather' all year around tyre that will be OK in winter if cold or snowy for a while, or warm, wet, warm and wet, cold and wet.

Maybe the new Vredstein Quatrac Pro, or the old model, or Michelin CrossClimate.

Depends on your budget and needs, locations driven.

Not sure what the difference is to be honest, I though tyres were generally "all season" unless they're winter tyres but looks like I thought wrong! I'd budgeting around £100 per tyre (fitted).

47 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Firestone class it as an summer tyre: https://www.firestone.eu/en/car-suv-and-4x4/roadhawk

I don't think there is much choice for 'all-season' tyres in that size, most are either summer or winter.

Thanks for the info!

45 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

Can't comment on the Firestones.

However, can firmly recommend vredestein quatrac 5 or quatrac pro tyres (the pros come in your size, not sure on the 5's). They are typically well priced (for a mid range brand) last well, don't affect fuel economy too much and perform well in all conditions, from moderate UK snow right through to summer time. 

Also you may wish to consider Michelin crossclimates tyres, I haven't used them myself but they seem to be highly regarded by others on briskoda in other threads. 

I've seen quite a few people on here talk about Vredestein but it's a brand I've never heard of (not been able to find apart from on Black Circles). Looks promising!

45 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

I used Maxxis AP2 (all seasons) in 215/40 R 17 but would not run them all year. OK during the winter.

Reviewed in this section.

I have seen good reviews on Maxxis HP5 tyres, but I'm not going to be swapping tyres for summer/winter as don't have the space to store them (nor the funds) so I'm after an "all rounder".

BlackCircles is owned by Michelin as is ATS Euromaster but that does not mean that the prices / costs are all the same.

£100 a corner will get you a All Season / All Weather tyre that is not 'Summer Tyres' that are only too often called All Seasons.

CrossClimates are classed as a Summer Tyre but have 3 peak Winter Certification'. As some other 'All Season' tyres are.

30 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

The prices I've found for that unusual size are rather high. Indeed twice the price of my 205/55 -17 Vredesteins -searching on mytyres. Couldn't see the 215 width option on blackcircles.

£100 seems to be the cheapest all seasons tyre. Not a good way to choose though.

Edited by gregoir
  • Like 1

Buying by price and even Brand name never a good idea.  Assuming more expensive is better not that smart either.

Sometimes driving into a Tyre and Exhaust Centre and having the person on the desk check their screen and pick up the phone to their distributor can get the best price.

They know what is in stock and on their way.  Funnily the Internet / Websites are not always quickest or cheapest.

That is what i get at ATS Euromaster and sometimes the tyres are with them next day and cost less fitted than if i ordered and paid on BlackCircles.

Edited by Roottootemoot

56 minutes ago, gregoir said:

The prices I've found for that unusual size are rather high. Indeed twice the price of my 205/55 -17 Vredesteins -searching on mytyres. Couldn't see the 215 width option on blackcircles.

£100 seems to be the cheapest all seasons tyre. Not a good way to choose though.

47 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Buying by price and even Brand name never a good idea.  Assuming more expensive is better not that smart either.

What would be a good way to choose then?

Know what you want and why you want them, and if it is All Season / All Weather & on all year tyres see what is available in the size you need, 

or can you change from 215/40 R 17 to 205/45 R 17 say.

Look here at what people recommend or dismiss from experience rather than Brand snobbery maybe.

Read reviews and see if they apply to your car and your needs.

?

Are you keeping the car for long and do you not want to change tyres again too soon type of thing?

If £400 fitted is your top budget that will get you good tyres.

1 minute ago, Roottootemoot said:

Know what you want and why you want them, and if it is All Season / All Weather & on all year tyres see what is available in the size you need, 

or can you change from 215/40 R 17 to 205/45 R 17 say.

Look here at what people recommend or dismiss from experience rather than Brand snobbery maybe.

Read reviews and see if they apply to your car and your needs.

?

Are you keeping the car for long and do you not want to change tyres again too soon type of thing?

If £400 fitted is your top budget that will get you good tyres.

The car currently has 3 odd tyres on it with various wear, so before the weather gets too cold I want to get all tyres changed to matching set. It's a daily driver that isn't used for track days, so just after something that won't reduce fuel economy, won't be horribly loud in terms of road noise and won't make the car un-drivable.

I'm not tied into any brand, and I've only had the car since February so will hopefully keep it for a few years!

The budget is £100 per tyre, so £400 or there abouts is the max. I'm a bit confused as to why you can say that will get good tyres, but then a previous post going on price is considered not a smart move?

6 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

Have a look on oponeo as well. They have a good range of summer, winter or all season tyres often at competitive prices. 

I shall check them out, thanks!

2 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

@WolfyWesty

I said it because i have had tyres people will call ditchfinders like Avon, Goodride, TIGAR at under £100 fitted that have been as good and even better than £150 plus ditchfinder from the 5 or 6 brands that people think of as Premium Brands.

Thanks for the clarification! I've seen Avon ZV7;s that have good reviews, as do Rotalla RU01's (a brand I'd never heard of) and both seem to be on parr with the £100+ tyres.

Doesn't seem to be much choice in 215 40 R17

Maxxis AP2  (OK but apparently AP3 is now out in limited sizes)

Kieber Quadraxer 2  (OK)

Vredestein Quatrac Pro  (Very good, but not cheapest), although Camskill seem to have them at good price £78.95 (unfitted)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WolfyWesty said:

I shall check them out, thanks!

Thanks for the clarification! I've seen Avon ZV7;s that have good reviews, as do Rotalla RU01's (a brand I'd never heard of) and both seem to be on parr with the £100+ tyres.

You asked for recommendations for all seasons tyres. You have had several. But you keep mentioning summer tyres.

Just now, gregoir said:

You asked for recommendations for all seasons tyres. You have had several. But you keep mentioning summer tyres.

Yup, but currently looking at all tyres to see what the options are! :) 

4 hours ago, WolfyWesty said:

Yup, but currently looking at all tyres to see what the options are! :) 

If you fancy a day trip to Lake District then try and get the Vredestein Quatrac Pro at Camskill, with the manufacturer rebate nearer £300.  If you get them mail order and pay about £70 locally for fitting, still under your £400 budget.

You are going to struggle to beat that without compromising quality, or blowing your budget.  Vredestein are Dutch and they have great reviews, although not that common in UK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gregoir said:

Maybe you could start another thread with Summer tyres instead of All seasons in the heading. Just a thought .😞

Like I said, looking at several options. Not sure why that's an issue? Never used all season tyres before so seeing what people recommend. 

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

If you fancy a day trip to Lake District then try and get the Vredestein Quatrac Pro at Camskill, with the manufacturer rebate nearer £300.  If you get them mail order and pay about £70 locally for fitting, still under your £400 budget.

You are going to struggle to beat that without compromising quality, or blowing your budget.  Vredestein are Dutch and they have great reviews, although not that common in UK.

Hadn't really considered ordering myself and getting fitted separately, that's a good idea!

11 hours ago, WolfyWesty said:

Like I said, looking at several options. Not sure why that's an issue?

I was trying to be helpful. If you want to bring in more peoples opinions about summer tyres, post separately.  At present you are possibly only talking to the people who are more interested in all seasons tyres.

Just my opinion. I used Avon summer tyres once, they had a high wear rate for the price. I switched to Barum Bravuris tyres and bought 4 sets at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

I was trying to be helpful. If you want to bring in more peoples opinions about summer tyres, post separately.  At present you are possibly only talking to the people who are more interested in all seasons tyres.

Just my opinion. I used Avon summer tyres once, they had a high wear rate for the price. I switched to Barum Bravuris tyres and bought 4 sets at least.

I'm talking to people interested in all season tyres because that's the experiences I'm after, which several people have happily provided so now I can do some investigating and see what's what! All suggestions have been useful :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased replacement alloys 185/60/15 ... same size as the spare .. and fitted Michelin CrossClimate tyres, ride is much better, less noisy, more comfortable. This is a win-win situation, I didn't experience any snow last year but this winter is looking different. Tyres are much cheaper too ... gives rise to the question why the 17" were ever fitted in the first place ...  

• Like 3

On 26/11/2019 at 20:53, Smileyman said:

I purchased replacement alloys 185/60/15 ... same size as the spare .. and fitted Michelin CrossClimate tyres, ride is much better, less noisy, more comfortable. This is a win-win situation, I didn't experience any snow last year but this winter is looking different. Tyres are much cheaper too ... gives rise to the question why the 17" were ever fitted in the first place ...  

185/65R15 are even more comfortable than 185/60R15 due to even more sidewall height. Same outside diameter as 195/55R16 and 205/45R17.

There's loads of different VW/Audi/Skoda steel rims that you can use for the 185/60R15 or 185/65R15 tyres.

5Jx15 ET28 (from Audi A2)

6Jx15 ET29 (from Audi A1)

5.5Jx15 ET34 (from Audi A2)

6Jx15 ET35 (from Skoda Scala)

6Jx15 ET38 (from Skoda Fabia I and Skoda Fabia II)

6Jx15 ET38 (from Skoda Octavia I)

From a performance perspective, the 6Jx15 ET29 steel rims from the Audi A1 would be a good choice for either 185/60R15 or 185/65R15 tyres, as the 6" wide rims stretch the sidewalls a bit for sharp handling and steering response, and the 29mm offset increases the track which pushes the tyres out to the edges of the wheelarches for that performance look.

185/65R15 are even cheaper than 185/60R15 tyres and have even more tyre choice, including Michelin Primacy 4 and Continental PremiumContact 6. Plenty of good tyres in the low £40's in this size.

Here's the Alcar 7415 (6Jx15 ET29 5x100 57.1) on mytyres:

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=q96EbXa6scQc3E1u.110.753302166&s_p=Steel-Rims&sowigan=felgen&Hersteller=Audi&PKWtyp=A1+1.6+TDI&PKWtypgenau=%3A6647%3A%3A1598%3A85%3A201009%3A++++++%3A57.00%3A100.00%3A5%3A8X++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AP%3AE1*2007%2F46*0414*..++&Show+types=Show+types

As you can see, it's a very attractive design (for a steel rim) with 20 holes for brake cooling.

Edited by Carlston