Cheap Carplay | Android Auto infotainment MK3

Hi all,

I have Octavia MK3 2013 with Bolero infotainment that offers bluetooth in menu but I guess is missing the actual adapter (it says "Telephone not available" when I click on that menu). It's quite annoying since at the time of purchase I though I could purchase this module later on. Boy have I never been so wrong.

Anyhow fast forward a couple of years later I found out this exists:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000037527870.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.54d4178bnRF5xR&algo_pvid=4b0288a2-3097-4b19-b264-caa32a0a003b&algo_expid=4b0288a2-3097-4b19-b264-caa32a0a003b-2&btsid=90d9858e-b503-41b6-a28c-016bac5fb2f0&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_55

I know what you're thinking - another lame-ass Android wannabe. But then I saw they offer a wireless (yes you read that right) Carplay / Android Auto support on that radio with the help of this module:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073434475.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.2.63c56376C2n9t2

... in combination with android APK app ZLink. Demo can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ensYOHyB92A

Based on specs the LCD looks great and it should be more than fast enough for smooth carplay / android auto which for the price point of ~240 EURs sounds an awesome deal. I wouldn't use radio for much other than just:

- Boot into Android -> Run Carplay / Android Auto and go on from there.

That way I can avoid all of the ugly Android / Chinese UI interfaces and jerky / lag behaviour since the phone does the heavy work.

Don't get me wrong, would love to have OEM Columbus MIB 2.5 with smartlink, but since my car options are pretty basic, I don't want to spend huge amount of money into it just to have them grayed out.

I'm not asking my Infotainment to do much other than just to stream Carplay or Android Auto.

Is there maybe any other cheap option to just "hijack" current Bolero screen with some button to display Carplay or Android Auto? The only thing I've found was this:

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-interface-for-seat-skoda-mib-1-mib-2-octavia-rapid-superb/

... but based on that price I would much rather prefer to try Android radio first because for half the price I also end up with a bigger screen - my bolero is the smallest one (5.8 i think).

Any opinions?

• Like 1

I tried going down this route. Apart from buying the wrong unit which didn't fit, the hardest part was getting the cabling to the centre console. As the stock head unit is in the glovebox that is where the cables are. The glovebox will need to come out (easier than it sounds) and possibly an extension or more to reach the area behind the screen. After that it should be plug and play.

Some on here have had success with android units in older cars but few have achieved a good install due the above.  I look forward to seeing how you go.

Hi Marky,

this unit should be compatible with Octavia mk3 out of the box. The instructions require only to switch the display unit. The glove box can stay as is.

The only reason I’m hesitant to purchase it atm is a lack of videos on YT about this particular model that only came out recently.

Its supposed to integrate to steering wheel, climate controls out of the box but i’m not sure how well it handles things like start-stop, initialisation time or sleeping procedure when car is turned off. Also accessing the car menu can be limited (not that I would use them often, its just nice that they're there)

On 07/11/2019 at 01:18, ajoj2 said:

this unit should be compatible with Octavia mk3 out of the box. The instructions require only to switch the display unit. The glove box can stay as is.

You will still need to route the cables from the glovebox to the centre console. The instructions on the site are general instructions for swapping out any head unit. The cables and units you see in the pictures bare no resemblance to the unit being sold or that it's replacing.

On 06/11/2019 at 17:05, ajoj2 said:

Is there maybe any other cheap option to just "hijack" current Bolero screen with some button to display Carplay or Android Auto? The only thing I've found was this:

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-interface-for-seat-skoda-mib-1-mib-2-octavia-rapid-superb/

... but based on that price I would much rather prefer to try Android radio first because for half the price I also end up with a bigger screen - my bolero is the smallest one (5.8 i think).

Any opinions?

I contacted Unique Auto Developments and got them to send me the installation instructions for this device.

For me the big downside is that to use AA or CarPlay you have to previously select Media and set the source to Aux - so you cannot listen to DAB radio and use e.g. Apple Maps at the same time.

22 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I contacted Unique Auto Developments and got them to send me the installation instructions for this device.

For me the big downside is that to use AA or CarPlay you have to previously select Media and set the source to Aux - so you cannot listen to DAB radio and use e.g. Apple Maps at the same time.

I think google have done far too much of an "Apple" job with Android Auto. Instead of allowing it to be used as an "App" (although there are various apps on the store that say they can emulate the proper interface), they want $$$ from manufacturers to integrate it.

You can also install Android Auto direct on the android headunit, and depending on your phone, tether internet to it so it can get Google Maps too.

4 hours ago, micro said:

I think google have done far too much of an "Apple" job with Android Auto. Instead of allowing it to be used as an "App" (although there are various apps on the store that say they can emulate the proper interface), they want $$$ from manufacturers to integrate it.

You can also install Android Auto direct on the android headunit, and depending on your phone, tether internet to it so it can get Google Maps too.

WTF? Why would you want to install android auto to android head unit? use your phone login or create new user for car and use android. Just use google maps and do not bother with android auto. just make sure that your android head unit is wifi capable (most are) and share data from your phone.

I had android head unit on my previous car and android auto is just stupid to use when you have the real thing already available.

What about MIB 2 / 2.5 Bolero or Amundsen?

I'm not an expert but would need screen, glovebox unit, I think USB socket and of course programming but end result is likely to be much better than anything aftermarket. Nice 8" glossy screen on the Facelift models. I guess it might come down to whether the price is OTT or not.

Worth a look at Sasha's thread if you haven't already, she has shared quite a lot of info there.  

18 hours ago, TonisT said:

WTF? Why would you want to install android auto to android head unit?

Because its a car optimised user interface that is easy to use rather than prodding what is essentially a phone/tablet interface.

1 hour ago, uchuff said:

What about MIB 2 / 2.5 Bolero or Amundsen?

I'm not an expert but would need screen, glovebox unit, I think USB socket and of course programming but end result is likely to be much better than anything aftermarket. Nice 8" glossy screen on the Facelift models. I guess it might come down to whether the price is OTT or not.

This is probably the nicest route but I think the OP is under a much tighter budget (maybe?) so the OEM route is not an option.  As far as I have seen on the forum, my MIB2 upgrade is the cheapest so far at £445 all in.  This was only possible sue to the screen I got was damaged on the surround.  I covered it in vinyl to hide the damage. And it is only a 6.5 screen.  Never felt the need for a bigger one apart form it might look nicer.  In use it is big enough.

22 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

. And it is only a 6.5 screen.  Never felt the need for a bigger one apart form it might look nicer.  In use it is big enough.

Absolutely, purely cosmetic, usability wise the 6.5 is perfect, you could even argue it's better due to the proper buttons. I think even the resolution is the same. 

Edited by uchuff

27 minutes ago, uchuff said:

I think even the resolution is the same. 

It is.  so in a small vs big tv way, the pixels are closer together making it look sharper.  I never have any issues seeing stuff on screen, apart from when not paying attention! 🤪