Fabia Mk1 1.4p 8v Cooling system problem

KCross98

Hi everyone, hope somebody on here can help. Recently my water pump developed a leak. Replaced the water pump only to find out that the thermostat was shot so replaced that aswell (entire housing aswell as thermostat). Now the problem is my engine is getting so hot its smoking (Not steam) the coolant doesn't seem to be circulating around the engine. I filled the expansion tank and ran the engine and all that happened was the coolant in the expansion tank just boiled and bubbled so I put on the cap and took it for a short drive, after a couple of minutes steam was blowing from around the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing at high pressure. I have absolutely no clue as to what is causing this, any ideas? 

Thanks 

What year is it? There was a revised head gasket fitted to later ones. The revised gasket is identified by the red letters TEMAC on the front right of the gasket. Green arrow here...

Untitled.png

Edited by TMB

1 minute ago, TMB said:

What year is it? There was a revised head gasket fitted to later ones. The revised gasket is identified by the red letters TEMAC on the front right of the gasket. Green arrow here...

Untitled.png

Mines a 2001 1.4p 8v but no sign of water in the oil 😁

Best have a look and see if you have the revised gasket. There won't always be water in the oil.

Edited by TMB

My own cylinder head gasket has gone now as well 😞  Noticed the coolant had dropped quite a lot which it never does. Took the expansion cap off the next day and there was tons of pressure in it and the system is making gurgling noises if you drive the car. Bugger.

• Sad 1

Just now, TMB said:

My own cylinder head gasket has gone now as well 😞  Noticed the coolant had dropped quite a lot which it never does. Took the expansion cap off the next day and there was tons of pressure in it and the system is making gurgling noises if you drive the car. Bugger.

Oh no, mine just ended up being an air lock in the system somewhere but managed to get it out and now it runs fine again. What's your plans with yours now?

Oh nice one, glad I was wrong about your gasket 👍

I will have to whip the head off when I feel up to it. Anyone know how much a head skim costs on average?

23 minutes ago, TMB said:

I will have to whip the head off when I feel up to it. Anyone know how much a head skim costs on average?

Not to sure about skims but I had a quote just incase it was my head gasket and for the garage to replace it with new head bolts and skim with labour it was £430

Thanks, yeah I'll be doing it myself (don't trust garages). It's a pretty straightforward job on the 8 valve engine. Sod's law that it would choose to go in the colder weather though. Haha.

Edited by TMB

Cost of a skim depends on where you are really.

It's an incredibly simple job on an 8 valve, couple of hours to get the head off, take it for a lick and buy the gaskets, couple of hours to put it back together again, quick, easy and cheap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TMB said:

I'm pretty sure my head gasket has gone, I'm going to change it myself but unsure where to start. Does anybody have any tips or a link to a video for a 1.4 8v head gasket change??

22 minutes ago, KCross98 said:

I'm pretty sure my head gasket has gone, I'm going to change it myself but unsure where to start. Does anybody have any tips or a link to a video for a 1.4 8v head gasket change??

Oh dear, I did think it was a bit odd for an airlock to come out of nowhere. It's probably being caused by combustion gases getting into the cooling system.

Edited by TMB

26 minutes ago, TMB said:

Oh dear, I did think it was a bit odd for an airlock to come out of nowhere. It's probably being caused by combustion gases getting into the cooling system.

Only reason I'm thinking this is my oil light has come on even though the oil level is correct. Could just be a dodgy sensor but what a coincidence 

Hello. Im new here, (but not to Fabia cooling probs) 😉 I thought I had a head gasket leaking too. Gave it some Holts (Gold) Cooling system stuff and it ran fine. Done some thousands miles since. Worth a try? Cheers, John in Denmark

Going to be doing my head gasket soon. Have ordered the gaskets and have also ordered new head bolts just to be on the safe side even though Skoda don't say they should be replaced on the 1.4, 8 valve engine.

I note that Skoda say that the head should not be reworked on this engine if warpage is beyond tolerance. Let's hope it's not warped when I check it.

dftt.png

Edited by TMB

1 minute ago, sepulchrave said:

Yeah, you don't need those head bolts and you can safely lick the head flat, 0.05mm across 100mm is an absolute banana.

Ah well, the bolts are only £16. Won't harm to have them.

OK, thanks, will get it skimmed then.

• 2 months later...

Started taking my cylinder head off. Got all the bolts out of the manifolds but they are stuck absolutely solid to the engine 👀 Anyway, I noticed some pink staining on the block where coolant must have been weeping...

SS853852.jpg

SS853853.jpg

Just now, sepulchrave said:

If you're certain all the fixings have been removed from the manifolding then use a big block of wood and an equally big hammer to jar them loose.

Just been out again and managed to free it :thumbup: