Fabia vRS MK2 Tyre Choice

ldyte1

Struggling to choose a tyre, am looking at the Uniroyal rainsport 3, was about to order but now am not sure.

Also could someone give there opinion on putting on 215/40 17 on the stock mk2 fabia alloys. Does it improve? Is it a good idea? (As i will be keeping the rears 205 until they need changing.

Looking to spend around £100 a tyre. Going too put two new tyres on the front, and the ones currently on the front will go on the back's, as there backs are the ones that need replacing.

Any opinions is great thanks.

You "should" fit new tyres onto the rear, not the front or do ALL 4.

As far as which to buy, everyone will have different opinons on which tyre and even on the same tyre, if you have a budget, just buy a premium brand within that budget.

If you want the best fit michelin "imo" but they are the most costly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

You "should" fit new tyres onto the rear, not the front or do ALL 4.

As far as which to buy, everyone will have different opinons on which tyre and even on the same tyre, if you have a budget, just buy a premium brand within that budget.

If you want the best fit michelin "imo" but they are the most costly.

😬didn't really want to do all 4. If i bought two michelin's and put them on the rear will that be beneficial to the handling/power?  Just thought putting the new tyres on the driven wheels would be better thing to do??

• Like 1

On wet roads newer tyres have more tread and displace surface water "better"....on the flip side worn tyres in the summer will give better grip in the dry, theres always a trade off.

The tyre industry recommends fitting the new tyres onto the rear axle.

This will provide greater grip to the rear axle and mitigate any potential oversteer condition or loss of vehicle stability on slippery surfaces.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

40 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

On wet roads newer tyres have more tread and displace surface water "better"....on the flip side worn tyres in the summer will give better grip in the dry, theres always a trade off.

The tyre industry recommends fitting the new tyres onto the rear axle.

This will provide greater grip to the rear axle and mitigate any potential oversteer condition or loss of vehicle stability on slippery surfaces.

Ahh ok, well on the back they go then I suppose! I was going to ask the tyre shop to do the axle swap when I got the new ones so hopefully they would have advised me against that as well.

What do you run on yours and would you buy again?

Think most on the forum here is UK so as you probably know here we have overall wet climates, would that mean a winter tyre would be better? Or a summer tyre that performs good in wet.

Last thing, I've heard the uniroyals have soft side walls. So not sure that is the kind of thing I'm after...

4 hours ago, ldyte1 said:

I've heard the uniroyals have soft side walls. So not sure that is the kind of thing I'm after...

I've heard that the Uniroyal RainSport 3 tyre's supposedly soft sidewalls are an illusion as apparently it's the tread blocks moving around when cornering that gives this feel. Anyhow, 215/40's have very low sidewalls, so expect them to feel hard not soft.

If you go for the 205/45R17 88V tyre size, you can get the latest Uniroyal Rainsport 5 tyres. I've seen them for under £80 each. However, summer tyres won't give you enough grip in the snow. Better to go for all-season tyres in my opinion, such as Kleber Quadraxer 2 205/45R17 88V for under £90. These are a quality Michelin brand and have been tested to last even longer than the longer lasting Quatrac 5 tyres. However, like the Rainsport 5's, these have a directional tread pattern, so you can't have a matching spare. Although if you have a space saver spare it doesn't matter.

I'm not a fan of super low profile tyres due to their hard ride, being prone to pothole damage, reduced mpg, and often being expensive, I prefer 185/65R15 or 195/55R16 tyres rather than 205/45R17 tyres. All these tyres have about the same outside diameter. However, they are all slightly oversize for the Fabia MK2 but should still fit. Also consider 185/65R14, 195/55R15, and 205/45R16 tyres as the outside diameter of these tyres are in the standard range.

Edited by Carlston

Uniroyals 215/40/17 all round best tyre had so far for MEDIUM range, was excellent in the snow we had a few years ago, WET GRIP A,

Good year efficient grip are also good, you can find them in pairs on ebay with 7mm tread, as they are usually taken off scrap Audis.

All i can say is 'Dunlops' are made of toffee. Never know tyres wear so quick

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carlston said:

I've heard that the Uniroyal RainSport 3 tyre's supposedly soft sidewalls are an illusion as apparently it's the tread blocks moving around when cornering that gives this feel. Anyhow, 215/40's have very low sidewalls, so expect them to feel hard not soft.

If you go for the 205/45R17 88V tyre size, you can get the latest Uniroyal Rainsport 5 tyres. I've seen them for under £80 each. However, summer tyres won't give you enough grip in the snow. Better to go for all-season tyres in my opinion, such as Kleber Quadraxer 2 205/45R17 88V for under £90. These are a quality Michelin brand and have been tested to last even longer than the longer lasting Quatrac 5 tyres. However, like the Rainsport 5's, these have a directional tread pattern, so you can't have a matching spare. Although if you have a space saver spare it doesn't matter.

I'm not a fan of super low profile tyres due to their hard ride, being prone to pothole damage, reduced mpg, and often being expensive, I prefer 185/65R15 or 195/55R16 tyres rather than 205/45R17 tyres. All these tyres have about the same outside diameter. However, they are all slightly oversize for the Fabia MK2 but should still fit. Also consider 185/65R14, 195/55R15, and 205/45R16 tyres as the outside diameter of these tyres are in the standard range.

Oh ok, interesting to know! 

Would putting a 45 profile instead of a 40 profile make much difference? I know it would save me from pot holes a bit more :D as you mention. I don't think i would really want to put massively different size and profile tyres on the axles?.

Strange they don't do the rainsport 5's in a 205/40.

36 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Uniroyals 215/40/17 all round best tyre had so far for MEDIUM range, was excellent in the snow we had a few years ago, WET GRIP A,

Good year efficient grip are also good, you can find them in pairs on ebay with 7mm tread, as they are usually taken off scrap Audis.

All i can say is 'Dunlops' are made of toffee. Never know tyres wear so quick

Awesome! That's what i like to hear, i think for the price, uniroyals are looking like my best bet. Do you notice much difference from 215 compared to 205's? I mainly want wet grip as the roads are always fairly wet here in the UK lol.

If im only changing two tyres i suppose its best to stick with 205's all around.

1 hour ago, ldyte1 said:

Oh ok, interesting to know! 

Would putting a 45 profile instead of a 40 profile make much difference? I know it would save me from pot holes a bit more :D as you mention. I don't think i would really want to put massively different size and profile tyres on the axles?.

Strange they don't do the rainsport 5's in a 205/40.

Awesome! That's what i like to hear, i think for the price, uniroyals are looking like my best bet. Do you notice much difference from 215 compared to 205's? I mainly want wet grip as the roads are always fairly wet here in the UK lol.

If im only changing two tyres i suppose its best to stick with 205's all around.

Only ever had 205's Dunlop to compare to but yes 215 uniroyal all round is better handling, cornering, and less tyre wear (at least for me)  When choosing tyres stay away from Chinese Budget (for a VRS!)

Plenty to review on my tyres and the like but you need to compare 'like for like' cars.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-3.htm

Edited by Kobayashi
  • Like 1

Ignore industry advice, forum advice and my advice or people you do not know.  As long as you put good legal tyres on the back of a Fabia twin charger, and never put the tyres that mis-shape from the rear to the front. Fit good new to the front. Where you get traction, abs, steering etc.  Take the ballast weights off the rear of a hatchback. That will more likely put you in a ditch more than used tyres left on the rear. 

Edited by Roottootemoot

Ps @Carlston advisng go narrow all the time for twin chargers and other cars is maybe because he knows nothing about these cars. 205/45R 17 and, 215 / 40r17 in good tyres work great in wet and snow. The ride is fine and if you want to go 16,s then fine, but not always better.  There are lots of days in winter not wintery. So go with correct load and speed rating and not crap tyres.    There is 180ps going through the front tyres. PPS,  re 14" on a VRS, not happening, try on the front.  Look at the calipers and discs. 

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Ignore industry advice, forum advice and my advice or people you do not know.  As long as you put good legal tyres on the back of a Fabia twin charger, and never put the tyres that mis-shape from the rear to the front. Fit good new to the front. Where you get traction, abs, steering etc.  Take the ballast weights off the rear of a hatchback. That will more likely put you in a ditch more than used tyres left on the rear. 

Im confused, you say ignore all the advice, yet then offer your own..............

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, offered to be considered using common sense and ignored or attention paid to.  Because like some industry advice or people's it all depends on the vehicles and tyres.  And back tyres moved to the front on some models can be bloody dangerous depending how long on the back as some with a VRS know.  That is if they think about it. Or give a ****. 

I've just ordered 4 new tyres for my mother's Fabia.

The car has done almost 18k miles and the front needed replacing.

Seeing the car is over 5 years old now it felt better to replace them all.

I went for Continental Premium Contact 6 205/40 R17 Y (84) from Blackcircles.

They were £111.06 each fitted so £444.24 in total.

The only reason I went with Continental is that is what was fitted to the car when new.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AJR77 said:

I went for Continental PremiumContact 6 205/40R17 84Y from Blackcircles.

They were £111.06 each fitted.

Continental PremiumContact 6 185/65R15 88H from Blackcircles are £68.53 each fitted. Far more comfortable, economical and pothole resistant.

2 hours ago, Carlston said:

Continental PremiumContact 6 185/65R15 88H from Blackcircles are £68.53 each fitted. Far more comfortable, economical and pothole resistant.

The 2014 brochure for the Fabia the wheels and tyre size fitted from the factory on the vRS were 17” ‘Gigaro’ alloy wheels  (7J x 17” 205/40 R17 84W)

13 hours ago, AJR77 said:

I've just ordered 4 new tyres for my mother's Fabia.

The car has done almost 18k miles and the front needed replacing.

Seeing the car is over 5 years old now it felt better to replace them all.

I went for Continental Premium Contact 6 205/40 R17 Y (84) from Blackcircles.

They were £111.06 each fitted so £444.24 in total.

The only reason I went with Continental is that is what was fitted to the car when new.

Nice, was tempted for Continental but for there price no one really has anything great to say about them, to bad either just not brilliant.

12 hours ago, Carlston said:

Would 185 fit a 205 Rim?

9 hours ago, AJR77 said:

The 2014 brochure for the Fabia the wheels and tyre size fitted from the factory on the vRS were 17” ‘Gigaro’ alloy wheels  (7J x 17” 205/40 R17 84W)

Indeed that's my i'm confused he said 185, don't think any tyre shop would want to stretch them really.

The 185 mentioned were with 15" rims and nothing to do with 17" Gigaro rims as on a vRS.

(Trading in your Fabia vRS for a Dacia Sandero might be the idea if 185/ 65 R 15 tyres are what is wanted or needed.)

Pointless going so narrow & small rim in the UK were winter can have lovely dry sunny days and no need for the likes of 15" rims and tyres that chains could be used with.

205/40 R 17, 215/40 R 17 or 205/45 R 17 are fine unless you wanted to be getting 16" rims and suitable tyres.

As to Pothole protection 17" tyres marked XL (Reinforced) are fine.

Top pic is 205/45 R 17,  2nd pic is 205/40 R 17, 

all others are 215/40 R 17's

DSCN1996.JPG.a27fed23698026d394432f6add44e7ed.JPG.481627c96978eb7f58c0f13196efcee9.jpeg

rsz_dsci0128.jpg.1eea9f2efaa3a6ccd962fc3b77db885a.jpg

599890e9a86d9_OldFlabioDaisyJan2014004.JPG.209dfa384c7d2e595acb31690a30f314.jpeg

post-86161-0-01078300-1444393088.jpg.d98a61807a643ba6b06f8a224a4a6333.jpg.44cc49727db349875ca5fe63e546f95d.jpg

DSCN0331.JPG.5487eb8ac8c1f58c4646869245f2588a.JPG.8c6a2222eb8af7d86e8ae9de248c9eed.jpeg

Edited by Roottootemoot

21 hours ago, Carlston said:

And useless if he doesn't have any 15" wheels!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tweenster said:

And useless if he doesn't have any 15" wheels!

Alcar 7415 6Jx15 ET29 steel rims from the Audi A1 will fit.

The 29mm offset will increase the front and rear tracks by 34mm compared to 7Jx17 ET46 rims.

Alcar 7415 steel rims from the Audi A1 are £38.50 on mytyres, so 15" tyres and rims are less than just 17" tyres.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=110&s_p=Steel-Rims&sowigan=felgen&Hersteller=Audi&PKWtyp=A1+1.6+TDI&PKWtypgenau=%3A6647%3A%3A1598%3A85%3A201009%3A++++++%3A57.00%3A100.00%3A5%3A8X++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AP%3AE1*2007%2F46*0414*..++&Show+types=Show+types

Putting 17" rims on 15" brakes (288mm discs) just doesn't look right...there's a big gap between the discs/calipers and the rim.

Edited by Carlston

Interesting, i can't see much difference between the 40 and 45 in the picture.

I found a good deal on blackcircles for 2x Avon's ZZ5 2x£130 fitted, thought it wasn't bad. Probably not the best tyre overall but for the money. Get them fitted next weekend then i'll drive on them for a couple of weeks and then update everyone on how they are. Just stuck with 205/40 17's in the end.

Thanks for all the input guys. Interesting to know that Uniroyal are owned by Continental in Europe but it seems they are owned by Michelin in North America?