Battery Status

In an idle moment I thought I would have a look at this mainly because the auto engine stop/start is new to me. I got SOC ---% on the display.

Can someone tell me what that means please as I cannot find it in the manual? Thanks R-

Edited by RogerBest

I think it is not a zero reading but it just doesn't know/won't let you know the SOC.

With the right program you can find the SOC of the battery.

With a Stop/Start battery system the battery will never be 100% SOC while on the car.

As when the car fast recharges the battery, eg when braking, the battery needs to not be fully charged already.

The car only charges the battery when the car thinks it need doing.

You will notice the stop/start sometimes won't kick in and you get this symbol in the MFD:-

image.jpeg.2e53f10b58ce1b2bf7b661402b798ba9.jpeg

Thanks AG Falco

Thanks for this. A little confusing in that the battery status check produces no information but not overly worrying as the car starts each time. I will keep an eye out for the Auto stop/start icon cancelling itself as per the diagram. R-

Are you still getting "no" percentage showing when the engine is running, I'm only asking that as most other driving info is "--" unless the engine is running, note I've never bothered to check the battery SOC thing yet. (mainly because I'm a bit naughty and press the "cancel" button as soon as I start the car in cold weather.

I think that the reason why it doesn't show the SOC is because Stop/Start batteries will never be at 100% SOC and car owners if they see the reading might think that their battery is no good.

Thanks AG Falco

Makes you wonder what the point of having the facility might be?  I suppose it might be that the same function is installed on all models but only available for use on some.

Of slight interest to me as the car is new to me but three years old. I don't know if it is the original battery [although I would think so] and with the cold weather coming up where battery resources diminish I thought it was worth checking.

R-

This discussion is about to force me to check out if I can view that parameter in my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI SEL - as I've never checked up on it as I have a CTEK battery tester which was bought for another reason on another car.

Well that went badly, no Battery SOC option on the offering from the small display, and nothing like that in the MFD either!

just oil temperature and all other time distance MPG, so it looks like at end of My 2015, Polo did not have that ticked, though I’d think that I could add it using VCDS or maybe not!

That car does have Stop/Start and it works okay if I allow it to.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RogerBest said:

I suppose it might be that the same function is installed on all models but only available for use on some.

Correct.

11 hours ago, RogerBest said:

I don't know if it is the original battery

What make do you have? Moll EFB?

Don't connect a battery charger up to both battery terminals when charging the battery.

The Negative needs to connect up to the metal earthing nut/bolt on the wing.

Thanks Ag Falco

14 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Don't connect a battery charger up to both battery terminals when charging the battery.

The Negative needs to connect up to the metal earthing nut/bolt on the wing.

Thanks for this. There is a helpful diagram about that on the top of the battery as well. 

R-

Well that seems to be a genuine VW Group supplied battery made by Banner which is an Austrian company that it seems VW Group now favours over one/some of the better known brands like Moll etc, and it is an EFB.

Yes and I would think original to the car. I now know what EFB stands for and [having looked it up] it seems an ideal technology for the start/stop type of motor. Might take it to where I got it and see if they have the correct sort of tester to see what shape it is in. R-

I got the car 4 Sep and there was an MOT and service prior to the sale.

I called them this afternoon and I am taking the car in on Friday - subject to plans remaining stable 😀.

There was a "service' before I picked the car up, but I think that was more of a small pre-delivery slightly cosmetic type. They are not a main dealer.

R-

Make sure they test the battery as an EFB as this is a different test to a normal battery.

Expect the battery to have low voltage and low SOC/condition/capacity when tested.

Batteries are not tested in a MOT except to make sure it is secure and not leaking.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

Just to round this off the battery and alternator were tested this morning and found to be in good order.

Not sure about the Life: 82% is that expired or left do you think?

R-

Battery Test - Fabia 2019.jpg

Edited by RogerBest