new car help!

VRS Mike

Starting a new job in January which means my mileage will go from 5k to 20k+ a year, the M135i will have to go, but I'm stuck on what to replace it with. I want diesel, must be auto with adaptive cruise, ideally with virtual cockpit, and a good spec, bonus would be 4x4, lane assist. Budget is around £25k, needs to be safe, reliable and good on fuel, estate would be of preference.

So far my list is...

Volvo V60 D4 (pro model)

Golf GTD

Skoda superb sportline estate (can't find Octavias with ACC)

Am I missing anything obvious off this list? I think the car after this one will be full electric, but the models that interest me aren't available, maybe I should wait for the ID3 to be released!

Currently having a discussion elsewhere on the site about the downsides of modern diesels.

Mostly focused on the sheer complexity and amount of expensive things that go wrong, EGR DPF and MAF being top of the list whilst the fuel pump on common rail engines can cost the same as a second car for the missus. Extra weight, more wear and tear on tyres  / suspension too. We just don't think the mpg benefits are worth all the potential extra pain and cost.

4x4 is something else that adds a lot to running costs - do you need to go offroad? Modern traction and stability systems can cope with most conditions surely?

Edited by camelspyyder

1 minute ago, camelspyyder said:

Currently having a discussion elsewhere on the site about the downsides of modern diesels.

Mostly focused on the sheer complexity and amount of expensive things that go wrong, EGR DPF and MAF being top of the list whilst the fuel pump on common rail engines can cost the same as a second car for the missus. Extra weight, more wear and tear on tyres  / suspension too. We just don't think the mpg benefits are worth all the potential extra pain and cost.

car will be kept under warranty so although it will be a pain if it goes wrong, at least it won’t cost me. 

20k a year is going to murder the value of the car. Keep the 135 for the weekends and buy a Dacia Sandero + a Recaro seat to rack up the miles on.

I'd look for something you can pick up cheap with a couple of years on it. What about the Koreans where you could get the 7yr / 100k warranty? Kia Optima is actually a nice car.

Of your choices I probably say the Golf or Superb since they will be the easiest to run and repair (every mechanic has worked on VAG). What roads will you be on? If it's all motorway then the Superb all the way. If you have to work on smaller roads you might appreciate the Golf.

Edited by Aspman

27 minutes ago, Aspman said:

20k a year is going to murder the value of the car. Keep the 135 for the weekends and buy a Dacia Sandero + a Recaro seat to rack up the miles on.

I'd look for something you can pick up cheap with a couple of years on it. What about the Koreans where you could get the 7yr / 100k warranty? Kia Optima is actually a nice car.

Of your choices I probably say the Golf or Superb since they will be the easiest to run and repair (every mechanic has worked on VAG). What roads will you be on? If it's all motorway then the Superb all the way. If you have to work on smaller roads you might appreciate the Golf.

Value doesn’t really matter to me. If I’m spending a lot of time in the car I’d rather be safe and comfortable. I’m not sure where I will be based but it will probably be motorway. 

I've actually started looking the BMW 3 series tourers and they look good value. 

I don’t think the M135i is special enough to keep as a weekend car

Best go look at Volvos, they are IME about the best interiors, good heating / A/C, Demisting etc.

Actually built like a car for European roads and weather.  Able to keep water out of the cabins.

Check out Servicing Costs though.  BMW Service plans can be good value, Volvo you need to see about.  Skoda is pick a number any number.

Haldex every 3 years or is that 1 1/2 if doing 20,000 a year. DSG every 2 years / 40,000 miles at the same.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Best go look at Volvos, they are IME about the best interiors, good heating / A/C, Demisting etc.

Actually built like a car for European roads and weather.  Able to keep water out of the cabins.

Fabulous interiors and the best seats I've ever plonked my ass in. 

• Like 2

Not very exciting and subjectively interior quality/design is a bit down on the other VW group cars but have you looked at a Leon FR 184PS TDI?  I had one for nearly 3 years and whilst I never 'gelled' with the car it never had one single problem and was a great family car.  I had mine remapped which stopped it feeling boring.  You can often find nearly new ones that are well spec'd that offer massive savings over list price.  Mine was a pre-registered car with less than 1k miles on the clock, had every option barring a pano roof and it was up for £20K. 

I used to cover 20-25K per year in mine, mainly motorways and it was overall a nice car.  Fuel and running costs were great and the remap made it slightly better on fuel too.  

Edited by penguin17

Autocar  have their Big Up article out on the New Golf TDI's for next year.  

Economy, low emissions, AdBlue / SCR less polluting than petrols and all that guff.  Likely less polluting really than the new VW Hybrids..

More an Advert than an article when it comes to actual economy and why you want a 150ps rather than a 190ps.   

Real world economy not being mentioned with the VW's, just still the WLTP / RDE fiction.

Edited by Roottootemoot

50 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Not very exciting and subjectively interior quality/design is a bit down on the other VW group cars but have you looked at a Leon FR 184PS TDI?  I had one for nearly 3 years and whilst I never 'gelled' with the car it never had one single problem and was a great family car.  I had mine remapped which stopped it feeling boring.  You can often find nearly new ones that are well spec'd that offer massive savings over list price.  Mine was a pre-registered car with less than 1k miles on the clock, had every option barring a pano roof and it was up for £20K. 

I used to cover 20-25K per year in mine, mainly motorways and it was overall a nice car.  Fuel and running costs were great and the remap made it slightly better on fuel too.  

yeah I’ve been looking at the Leon, 184’s aren’t very common and often not spec’d well. 

I seem to change my mind everyday, Volvo is winning today. 

I was thinking of keeping the 135i for a year, then selling and getting an ID3, but now someone wants to come view mine lol

25 minutes ago, VRS Mike said:

yeah I’ve been looking at the Leon, 184’s aren’t very common and often not spec’d well. 

How very dare you contradict me on a public forum 😂 IME the 150PS TDI is the better unit anyway, hence why I remapped the 184; it just doesn't feel as brisk or torquey as the numbers would suggest.  

I think Volvo are on top of their game at the moment.     

Edited by penguin17

If mine sells then I’ll probably go look at some cars and try and kick a few £k off the asking price. Seats do offer great value, the Mrs has just ordered a Tarraco and I was tempted by the Ateca. 

@VRS Mike

Are you selling privately.

Dealerships want cars in and stock sold.  Getting a good trade in on a BMW anyplace is easier than a good one on a SEAT other than at SEAT Dealerships.

They might 'quote you happy' at a SEAT Dealership to take in the BMW and punt something before Xmas bonus time.

But that applies at any Dealership now, other than maybe BMW / Mercedes where they think they are Archie.

I think I'd take a 320dx over a Seat for doing miles tbh. Seats have always been weak on soundproofing imho. If you're doing a lot of miles small things like that become important.

My 335d has not had any mechanical issues in the ~3yr I've had it and still seems quite solid. X drive has coped with some very poor roads (got me out of Edinburgh when the snow bomb hit). TBH BMW is the first brand I've seriously thought about staying with for more than one car (we're on our 3rd BMW Mini in the family).

Interiors are not exciting but I'd have argued nicer than the equivalent VW. I've never had a Volvo so George's advice would be worth looking into (seats are supposed to be very good).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

@Aspman Have you got the Countryman yet?

I had 3 hours up the A93 with a new Countryman 1.5 Cooper S E Classic ALL4 PHEV as thought about one from Motability.

Very very comfy, but just not what i was after.

Yep picked it up form John Clark last Friday.

SWMBO loves it.  Although got a bit of a shock at the thirst.

The tech is a bit much though. The Apple integration with my BMW is much easier without Apple CarPlay than in the Mini with it. Goes like a rocket as well and not too wallowy (she quite likes all the banks and crackles on startup).  Lots of silly little touches but that's mini (mini logo projected onto the ground under drivers door for one) and it's why SWMBO likes them. Bit more attention to detail than most. This one was totally loaded with £10k of extras as well.

I had a 2003 Cordoba.. and Seats plastics still look/feel the same - dull and scratchy, thin... and sound deadening is lighter.. ie noisier..

Been in a couple of leons too, and found the same.. compared to the Octavia its loud,and seats are squishier.

Want a decent spec, mile munching diesel with decent reliability at a drcent price.. Focus Estate diesel.. have a fleet of them in work and theres no reported issues so far..

Or an i40...

Want a bit more - get a volvo. My dad had one years back (560? I think) and it was (from a kid's pov) a comfy place to be. I know my dad liked it too and my SIL is on her 2nd v40...

8 hours ago, Aspman said:

I think I'd take a 320dx over a Seat for doing miles tbh. Seats have always been weak on soundproofing imho. If you're doing a lot of miles small things like that become important.

You raise a very good point.  I soundproofed the doors, footwells, boot and behind the dash on mine.  It was a little 'tinny'. 

Thanks for all your replies. I went out in a golf GTD yesterday, its a capable car and a nice place to be. Unsure on the quality of the extended warranty with VW, DPF is excluded and I've heard a few stories about them being reluctant to pay out for repairs. BMW are really good warranty wise.

I've spotted a well spec'd 120d X drive m sport SE locally which has active cruise, adaptive suspension and a load of other toys, waiting for the dealer to send some photos before deciding to go and see it.

I may just run the M135i for a year longer, and see what fully electric cars come out. It will cost me about £2k more in fuel but save me £6k in buying a new car.

Well to put an end to this.... I’ve just agreed a deal on a 120d xdrive which I pick up on Sunday. Really well spec’d car which had a price of £38k new. I’ve got a week to try and sell the M135i before it goes in PX

• Like 2