Coming home lights possessed

Strange one. Had the car near enough 4 and a half years now, a record for me :)

Got home the other day, locked the car, headlights stayed on (never had coming home lights enabled) then turned off after a short while. 

Checked the settings today using MFD, sure enough, coming home lights are enabled. 

Scratched head, removed the tick to disable again, drove home and the damn thing did it again! 

Any ideas? Some module giving out? 

Edited by Timmyboy

My 2 litre Tdi estate is a 2010 model and it was fine till 18 months ago it started doing odd things like that. I ignored it for a while but when it started afecting the abs etc it went in for a replacement of the module in the steering column. I can't be specific about what they did but it is now fine. I guess the module strted to go wrong so the replacement has cured it. If you can ignore the symptoms for now it costs nothing but maybe in time other things may become apparent?

4 hours ago, Updown789 said:

it might be some customisation thats stored in individual keys. I'm pretty certain the selective unlocking is stored per key so might be the same thing.

Legend. 

Yes, my usual key started to struggle flipping open last week so I swapped to my spare - previous owner must have had it set up differently. Didn't know this was supported on my car! 

Thanks both for the input. Back to normal now, so looks like it just took 2 attempts to make it stick to my 2nd key for some reason. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since this thread's open, I wanted to hear some inputs about the coming home lights functionality. In my car the only lights on and off are the wing mirrorpuddle lights. Is that how it is supposed to work? I have the light knob turned to Auto always which as far as I know (up until reading this thread)was the only requirement to activate it.

Edited by kris_kristofferson

If you have access to VCDS you can set it up how you like. On mine it was set for the headlights to be the coming home lights, but I have HID's and it was a bit excessive. Switched it over to the fog lights instead.

If you have maxi dot I think there's options for the duration in there for it too, but not sure.

5 hours ago, kris_kristofferson said:

Since this thread's open, I wanted to hear some inputs about the coming home lights functionality. In my car the only lights on and off are the wing mirrorpuddle lights. Is that how it is supposed to work? I have the light knob turned to Auto always which as far as I know (up until reading this thread)was the only requirement to activate it.

It sounds like you don't have CH/LH enabled. If you have maxidot, are there options in there for it?