Nextbase 522GW Install

HI folks,

I am getting this dashcam installed hardwired by Halfords next week on my SUperb L&K.

Has anyone got any experience using this hardwired on a car that has stop/start? Some have said when stop/start kicks in, it no longer keeps the dashcam on as it thinks you are parked. However, I need the dashcam working when the ignition turns off in traffic just as much as when I am driving on the motorway.

Any information would be great thank you.

Most Dash Cams with parking mode will go into parking mode whilst the engine is running but the car is stationary as the camera senses there's no movement as it thinks you are parked, once you drive off the movement of the car wakes up the dash cam and it goes into normal running mode. My Blackvue 650s-2CH goes into parking mode after 2 minutes once the car has stopped with the engine running or when the  Stop/start is working

3 hours ago, neonplanet40 said:

I had heard that the battery in the Nextbase was rubbish, so if it stopped (and you were still driving but in heavy traffic), it would just turn off.

I may be wrong though. 

If it is hard wired in it wont stop recording as the car is powering it, even when stop/start kick in the engine turns itself off but everything else is still powered unless you turn off the Ignition

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 2

I've had a Nextbase 512GW hardwired in my car for the last four years. It doesn't stop recording when you're stationary; as long as the ignition is on, it will keep recording. I've set it to run on for two minutes after the ignition is switched off. The battery doesn't last for long, but it's not designed to.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neonplanet40 said:

HI folks,

I am getting this dashcam installed hardwired by Halfords next week on my SUperb L&K.

Just to confirm what others have said stop/start doesn't interfere, in fact my engine has been stopped and the battery light has shown that it was being charged.

Re Halfords, they fitted mine with a Nextbase 322GW and rear camera 3 weeks ago.  The price of the cameras and fitting was good, couldn't find them cheaper anywhere online and fitting includes the hardwiring kit (or kits in my case) which I believe retail at £20 each.

The not so good:

• Fitting was a bit sloppy, wire ties left on the car floor and some wiring left dangling near rear quarter light.  Soon pushed under headlining with the tool provided but not exactly professional.
  • Walk through by the tech consisted of, "the manual is online and the box is on the front seat with everything else in it".
  • They fitted it to the suction mount, as you're having it hardwired ask them to use the permanent 3m stick on mount, saves you having to do it later and it's far less intrusive and neater looking.
  • The manual says the camera should be charged for at least 2 hours before use, Halfords don't charge it so you need to when you get home. 
  • Go through the settings, very easy even for a technophobe like me.  Some of the default settings are a bit surprising.  For example, parking mode is set to "off" by default.

Hope that helps.  I subsequently read criticism that the nextbase batteries are their weak point but they are always near the top or thereabouts in dashcam reviews so I suppose only time will tell but not likely to be an immediate problem as they come with a 12 months warranty so back to Mr H for a replacement if it is.

Edited by IanW5177
typo

I am thinking of getting Halfords to fit a nextbase dash cam to my new Superb. Are there any warranty implications from Skoda?

Edited by vade04
spelling

I had fitted the  Nextbase 522 to my MY2019 Superb a week ago.

Not sure how much Halfords is charging for the privilege but if you have a trim removal tool set (or something slightly larger than the plastic trim removal tool provided in the box) then it is a 30 to 60 mins job (if you are very keen not to damage anything ;) 

I actually used a suction mount, nothing bad about it (placed so that I do not even see the camera which is completely hidden behind the rear mirror from where I sit)

I can confirm it keeps recording in stop/start situation (not keen on stop/start anyway, keep it off most of the time), and can advise that you will need two ferrite cores, one by the camera, one on he other side of the 12V-> 5V adapter (I used genuine nextbase hardwire kit). Otherwise you will experience DAB reception issue if only one ferrite core provided in the kit is used. Ask about it, and go back if they tell you it'll be all right when it is not ...

HTS

Stan    

Just be careful mounting directly behind “Auto “ dimming mirrors (type with a tiny sensor). The light from the dashcam screen is bright enough to stop the auto dimming sensor seeing that it is dark outside...sounds stupid but it stopped mine from dimming, until I sussed it out. 

3 hours ago, vade04 said:

I am thinking of getting Halfords to fit a nextbase dash cam to my new Superb. Are there any warranty implications from Skoda?

Regarding the issue of warranty...I was advised by my dealer that unless any problems could be definitely attributed to the installation of the dash-cam, then there would be no problem.

They went on to say, though, that they could install it cheaper than Halfords. Which they could, they did and I'm chuffed with it.

Cheaper than halfords? I thought halfords only charged £30. And £20 of that £30 is for the hardworking kit itself? So did they only charge you a tenner or less? If so. That's great. 

1 hour ago, neonplanet40 said:

Cheaper than halfords? I thought halfords only charged £30. And £20 of that £30 is for the hardworking kit itself? So did they only charge you a tenner or less? If so. That's great. 

Well...I had mine done a while back and I don't remember the exact figures Halfords were charging at the time, but certainly more than the figures you quote.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2020 at 21:45, Defenderben said:

Just be careful mounting directly behind “Auto “ dimming mirrors (type with a tiny sensor). The light from the dashcam screen is bright enough to stop the auto dimming sensor seeing that it is dark outside...sounds stupid but it stopped mine from dimming, until I sussed it out. 

In the UK the dashcam screen has to go off  while vehicle is in motion

https://dashcam.guru/resources/are-dash-cams-legal-to-use-in-the-uk/

9 hours ago, Q102 said:

In the UK the dashcam screen has to go off  while vehicle is in motion

https://dashcam.guru/resources/are-dash-cams-legal-to-use-in-the-uk/

I have mine set to switch off the screen but so many I see are always on; hence my comment about avoiding the mirror sensor.

I can only assume not all models allow for turning the screen off?

On 11/01/2020 at 20:37, vade04 said:

No. Took mine in for a recent service. They disconnected the dash cam but only took off the rear camera connection! The main front camera is hard wired. No warranty issues at all.

On 10/01/2020 at 10:16, knocker235 said:

I have hardwired mine to a fuse box and the dash cam will turn off only when you turn off the engine, the Stop/Start won't have any impact on the cam. 

Please can you tell me which fuse you used?  Thanks.