Bosch wiper blade fitting

judith_sw

I’ve got some replacement Bosch wiper blades for our 2019 Karoq. According to the website/reg, they should fit but none of the four supplied fitting adapters seems to fit. Am I doing something wrong/daft?..

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

I thought the Bosch A864S Aerotwin Wiperblade set comes with the fittings attached?

Certainly the ones I bought from Amazon last week did.

Edited by Berisford

1 hour ago, judith_sw said:

I can confirm the #4 fitting is the correct one. Didn’t look remotely similar to the one that was on the OEM blade but definitely works. Now have super smooth Bosch wipers 👍

What was the price of the wipers.

And do they properly work with no squeaks, etc?  The reason I ask this is that I found on our previous Honda Jazz any wiper blade make other than Honda would not work 100% but would give squeaks or judder, etc.  And Bosch wipers were not as good as the Honda ones.

I have replaced both my front wipers with Skoda ones and they work ok but are expensive and thus maybe looking at Bosch next time.

2 hours ago, BramptonTrev said:

What was the price of the wipers.

And do they properly work with no squeaks, etc?  The reason I ask this is that I found on our previous Honda Jazz any wiper blade make other than Honda would not work 100% but would give squeaks or judder, etc.  And Bosch wipers were not as good as the Honda ones.

I have replaced both my front wipers with Skoda ones and they work ok but are expensive and thus maybe looking at Bosch next time.

I paid £21 + postage from wiper blades.co.uk - I’ve used them before and they’ve been good. So far the new blades are great and silent ... much better than the original Skoda ones that juddered since about 6000 miles from new. I should add that I have also polished and sealed the windscreen with Meguiars products! 

I’ve always used the Bosch ones on my TT and they’ve been really good too. Dealer wanted nearly £40 and I think they use Bosch.

All this talk of wipers and adapters prompted me to get off my backside this afternoon and do something about the front + rear replacement Bosches that had been delivered before Christmas. They were A331H (rear) and A864S twin-pack for the front. They were all direct replacements for the rubbish supplied with the Karoq - there was no need for fitting any sort of adapter. I got mine here (if the link works).....

https://www.windscreenwipersdirect.co.uk/shopby?find=skoda-karoq-suv-07-2017----90971

Fitting was a doddle - especially when I had re-checked the manual to get the wipers into the 'service' position (P289/290 in my manual). The spring on the wiper arm is surprisingly strong so I would wholeheartedly support an earlier suggestion of putting some padding (e.g. a folded towel) on the screen in case the spring thwacks back and buries itself in the glass.

It hasn't been possible to test the wipers in real rain yet but, a few squirts from the washer, and the wipers were sooooooo quiet. A vast improvement! 😊

The rear wiper used to make a terrible racket as well - and that is now completely inaudible.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, windsurfer said:

The Bosch twin pack A864S that doesn't require any adaptors is available from Amazon for £17.35.

The rear is A331H @ £5.94 

That's clearly the best price that I've seen; for this combination, Halford's price is £42. I'm contemplating if it's worth keeping a set 'in stock' but have concerns over the durability of the materials used in the blade ....... would they deteriorate in time like tyres, for example?

35 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

That's clearly the best price that I've seen; for this combination, Halford's price is £42. I'm contemplating if it's worth keeping a set 'in stock' but have concerns over the durability of the materials used in the blade ....... would they deteriorate in time like tyres, for example?

I don’t know what the shelf life for wipers is,  but we live in West Yorks where the wipers get very regular use and need replacing annually - I’d  imagine they’d store for a year or so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StEdmund said:

As above, they’ll last a long time.

I always keep a spare set under the boot floor so that they’re ready at any time.

And that means not only ready for replacing a streaky blade, but for replacing a stolen blade.

(from one who had a rear wiper pinched)

Ah, the joy ..... the deep joy, as the late Prof Stanley Unwin would say ............. how could anyone derive such pleasure from something as utterly boring as a new set of wiper blades?

I've just had to take the Karoq out in real rain to pick my daughter up after work ........ and there wasn't a squeak or a squawk from the Bosch wipers ...... not a whisper, nothing. Long may this continue.

I remember taking the Karoq out, at night, in the rain, for the first time; we still had some 40 miles to get home and just couldn't understand the racket that was coming from the back of the car. It was early days and I hadn't realised that the rear-wiper was set on automatic ....... could that be wheel-bearings ............ already???

The rear wiper is now so quiet that I have dared to set it on automatic again.

I have just ordered a spare set from Amazon.

On one of the occasions when I had taken the Karoq into the dealer for another software update, I had mentioned the migraine-inducing wipers. They, apparently, cleaned the blades with something or other but, after a few days, the racket was back. It would appear that the blades supplied by Skoda are rubbish ...... simple as that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rumour has it that the Skoda wiper blades fitted at the factory were always Bosch, but recently they've flitted between Bosch and Valeo.

I once fitted a set of Valeo wiper blades to a previous car, they were really poor. Swapping back to the Bosch Aerotwins offered a massive improvement.

It might be that those with the poor factory fitted blades were part of a Valeo production run?

Edited by silver1011

30 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Luckily the LED headlights on my Kodiaq are made by Hella.

I believe the Karoqs LED headlights are Hella units as well. Having experience of both I feel the Karoqs LEDs are miles better than the pre facelift Leon’s. Different league entirely.

• Like 2

I fitted the twin pack Bosch front wiper blades A864S this morning. Took moments to do. Perfect fit. No adaptors- straight on.

All I need now is rain to try them.... (Did I just say that??)

With special thanks to St Edmund for the "service position" reminder and towel tip, and Windsurfer for sourcing. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OldKaroq said:

I fitted the twin pack Bosch front wiper blades A864S this morning. Took moments to do. Perfect fit. No adaptors- straight on.

All I need now is rain to try them.... (Did I just say that??)

With special thanks to St Edmund for the "service position" reminder and towel tip, and Windsurfer for sourcing. 

And a bargain from Amazon at £17.43

• Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 23:54, judith_sw said:

Thank you! I ordered the AP26U and AP18U as recommended - there is a #4 fitting. I will try that tomorrow. I also have an Audi TT and this is also the fitting for that.

I can also confirm that AP26U and AP18U with fitting #4 is the correct setup. Mounted it myself last night.

And wow, what a difference it made with the Bosch aerotwin compared to my almost new (but ****ty) skoda original wiper blades. Will be interesting to so how long they last. Have heard very different experiences in that regard.