High Mileage MK2 Superb 2.0 TDI DSG Advice.

Hey all. Looking at buying a Superb as above. I'm wanting Elegance trim (L&K would be nice, but out of my price range), and I want a panoramic roof. 
Was the roof an option on the Elegance? As some have it and some don't.
I'd usually be happy with a manual but the other half needs an auto, I'm just worried about mileage on the DSG as the cars I'm looking at have done 125,000 - 175,000.

Any advice, and other things to look out for much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Pan roof was an optional extra on Elegance. They're known for leaking so have a look for water damage in cars that have one.

Which engine are you looking at?

Sorry, should’ve said. Looking at a 2.0 TDI 170.

Best way for looking for water damage? Check any particular part of the floor? 

Also were front sensors standard?

Having got a 2012 Elegance 2.0 Tdi 170 with a Pan-Roof I have recently cured its leaks.  With mine the leak manifested itself with water dripping down the trim that sits in the front footwell just in front of the door hinges.  Also there is very slight staining down the A pillars either side of the windscreen  Having said that you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking.

Just on the leaking roof, having cured mine it hasn't been expensive (Total Cost £7.99).  Just took ages and alot of forum searching to get there.

Can't comment on the DSG.  Mines a manual having done 140K.

Front sensors not standard on 2012 model.

Hmm, leaky roof puts me off a bit. Don't fancy a repeat of my MK1 Superb 😁
As much as Ioved thar car, the ingress was a pain.

I've found one with 108,000 miles on it. It's never had a gearbox service though, he said reverse has a delay, but eventually selects and works. Do you think a service would sort this, or avoid?

40 minutes ago, Alan16ac said:

Hmm, leaky roof puts me off a bit. Don't fancy a repeat of my MK1 Superb 😁
As much as Ioved thar car, the ingress was a pain.

I've found one with 108,000 miles on it. It's never had a gearbox service though, he said reverse has a delay, but eventually selects and works. Do you think a service would sort this, or avoid?

Avoid a DSG that has never been serviced. Too much risk of mechatronic or clutch failure.

I've found one with 150,000 on the clock, but it has had 3 gearbox services over its life. The milage is a little scary, but I figure it's a safer bet than one with unknown or no history.

41 minutes ago, Alan16ac said:

I've found one with 150,000 on the clock, but it has had 3 gearbox services over its life. The milage is a little scary, but I figure it's a safer bet than one with unknown or no history.

That's reasonable - maybe use the pending 160000 mile DSG service as a bargaining tool?

1 minute ago, chimaera said:

That's reasonable - maybe use the pending 160000 mile DSG service as a bargaining tool?

He's doing a gearbox service, and cambelt and water pump before I pick it up :D
I'm surprised an oil change on the gearbox is only £189 at my local dealer though. Cheaper than I thought it would be.

To " @Alan16ac " - £189 Preice for "DSG"-Oil change sounds very cheap. It is recommended to use only "OEM" "DSG"-Oil, that costs close around this Price. Of course, another brands "DSG"-Oils exists but there is some cases that after using not "OEM" "DSG"-Oil, "DSG"-Gearbox start to make some Problems. If the "DSG" is driven basically in cities (so many times gears changes)  I advice to change the "DSG"-Oil not on every 60.000 Kilometers but to every 40.000 Kilometers. High mealeage is not so scary if the Car is Used and Serviced in the Right Way. With Computer Diagnostic, someone who understand this matter, can check some parameters (even in real time, when the Car is driven) of the "DSG"-Gearbox. About the Panoramic Sun Roof - the Pleasure is Big but there may be have some Expensive Problems in Future if not well done maintained..

7 minutes ago, tuningmania said:

To " @Alan16ac " - £189 Preice for "DSG"-Oil change sounds very cheap. It is recommended to use only "OEM" "DSG"-Oil, that costs close around this Price. Of course, another brands "DSG"-Oils exists but there is some cases that after using not "OEM" "DSG"-Oil, "DSG"-Gearbox start to make some Problems. If the "DSG" is driven basically in cities (so many times gears changes)  I advice to change the "DSG"-Oil not on every 60.000 Kilometers but to every 40.000 Kilometers. High mealeage is not so scary if the Car is Used and Serviced in the Right Way. With Computer Diagnostic, someone who understand this matter, can check some parameters (even in real time, when the Car is driven) of the "DSG"-Gearbox. About the Panoramic Sun Roof - the Pleasure is Big but there may be have some Expensive Problems in Future if not well done maintained..

Skoda UK offer the DSG fluid change as a fixed price option at 189gbp. It's similar here in Ireland.

10 minutes ago, tuningmania said:

Thanks, the £189 is from Skoda Dealerships and appears to be afixed price, so I'd be sure they'd be using the correct oil. 
As for the sunroof, this car doesn't have one. As much as I'd like one, any worries of water ingress I can do without. So I'll live with a little sun in my life. 😄

To " @chimaera " - I am from Bulgaria and here the "DSG"-Oil change in "Skoda Dealer" is more expensive than £189, although we are poorest country in Europe..

To " @Alan16ac " - The Price is Top :) The "DSG"-Oil Filter have to be changed as well :)

Edited by tuningmania

28 minutes ago, tuningmania said:

To " @chimaera " - I am from Bulgaria and here the "DSG"-Oil change in "Skoda Dealer" is more expensive than £189, although we are poorest country in Europe..

To " @Alan16ac " - The Price is Top :) The "DSG"-Oil Filter have to be changed as well :)

No idea why it's so cheap at a dealer here. I'm surprised tbh. Dealers are usually extortionate. For example, Audi wanted £680 for front discs and pads on my A5 last week, and wanted to charge £180 for a tyre which was available online for £145.

Is the DSG dual clutch in the Superb?

Dual Dry Clutch DQ200 in a 1.6 TDI.  So no Oil Change required.

Wet Clutch in 2.0 TSI's or TDI's.

Audi s-tronic Oil & Filter change Fixed Price & participating dealers is £225.   

Note that is Oil & Filter where that applies. 

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 18.58.53.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

16 minutes ago, Alan16ac said:

No idea why it's so cheap at a dealer here. I'm surprised tbh. Dealers are usually extortionate. For example, Audi wanted £680 for front discs and pads on my A5 last week, and wanted to charge £180 for a tyre which was available online for £145.

Is the DSG dual clutch in the Superb?

The DSG is a dual clutch transmission period. It's an intrinsic design feature of the transmission type, not something that's specified depending on the vehicle it's fitted to.

The problem is the £189 is the DSG oil only, it is advised to replaced the filter too, where fitted.

A clogged or partially blocked filter starves the oil supply, so even fresh oil is pointless at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The problem is the £189 is the DSG oil only, it is advised to replaced the filter too, where fitted.

A clogged or partially blocked filter starves the oil supply, so even fresh oil is pointless at this point.

Is that true?

I thought  even Skoda replaced this filter as standard

I know they dont changer the haldex filter as they dont even have a part number for it (even though it is there)

You need to be sure when there is a filter to be replaced in a DSG that they are replacing. 

Assume nothing. The person at the Service Desk or on the end of the phone likely does not know. 

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 16.01.50.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DEL80Y said:

Is that true?

I thought  even Skoda replaced this filter as standard

I know they dont changer the haldex filter as they dont even have a part number for it (even though it is there)

My bad, I was indeed confusing the DSG and Haldex oil changes, apologies.

I therefore take back my comment about the £189 fixed price service not including the DSG filter.

Roottootemblowinootsoot is right though, one thing I have learnt is to never assume, so always best to check when on the phone or dropping it off at the dealer.

A member on here this week posted that they were told by someone at a Main dealership in Scotland that the £189 would not include a filter in the DSG being changed and another that gave them a price that said the cost would be more but the Oil & Filter would be changed.

Simply question any quotes given at Skoda Authorised Dealerships / Repairers. What work they are doing, parts being supplied etc.

• Like 1

Well I have it! Just driven 242 miles home in it at “motorway speed” and got 52mpg which I’m pretty impressed with. The Audi A5 I drove down in with basically the same engine achieved 44mpg. Surprised it’s capable of that much more mpg. Really impressed with the handling too! Actually feels much more grippy than the A5.

Bit disappointed with the bluetooth audio. I can’t change the track or see what’s playing on the car? Have to do it through the phone. Is there any way of sorting this?