DTUK 2.0 TDI VRS QUESTIONS

Hi all,

I've just purchased the DTUK CRD3+ Bluetooth connectivity but yet to have installed it, (weather reasons). 

Before I install does anyone have or currently use one?  

Anything I should be wary of that you may have experienced?

One thing I did read on the manual was, if you have a DPF please contact your vendor before installation.  I've emailed DTUK to ask them but yet to receive a response.

I'm driving the 2.0tdi vrs mk3 DSG running on premium Diesel.  Another question, VPower from Shell is the fuel I use anyone use a different type and what are your thoughts?

Regards,

Luke

I dont have any experience with the DTUK add on. However with fuel you can use any type. The Vpower has additives in it to clean the fuel system and engine. It will run just fine on normal diesel either standard or mapped. Most mappers run the car on regular diesel anyway when they do the map. I use shell or tesco diesel and cannot notice any difference in performance or mpgs from either. Diesel is diesel. The main issue is f the tank in the fuel station does not get cleaned and can get full of water. That is where issues arise rather than the fuel itself.

@Sherry7

When you install the power connections make sure you use the bulkhead neutral & not the battery unless you don't like stop/start cos it stops it working.

Other than that, try to fit the tuningbox somewhere near the top of battery area to improve the bluetooth connection.

Don't be too greedy with the pluses when you setup it up, diesels will throw limp modes with too much boost in colder weather, don't get hung up on asking other users "which map is best" different boxes have different software on & non bluetooth ones will have older software.

Other than that, have fun

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Thanks for the input.  Yes I've read / watched the youtube clips and understand each map and car are different.  Going to start on the 0 setting first and then up to 1, basically try them out and find a setting which is suited.  The bluetooth is trial and error, I will play around with a suited position to optimize the connection.

Personally I notice a difference with the Diesel, definitely get more mileage from the tank commuting to work and back and notice a difference in power in sports mode.

cheers

2 hours ago, Sherry7 said:

Thanks for the input.  Yes I've read / watched the youtube clips and understand each map and car are different.  Going to start on the 0 setting first and then up to 1, basically try them out and find a setting which is suited.  The bluetooth is trial and error, I will play around with a suited position to optimize the connection.

Personally I notice a difference with the Diesel, definitely get more mileage from the tank commuting to work and back and notice a difference in power in sports mode.

cheers

All sports mode does is just use the full rev range but doesnt increase the power. It is 184ps no matter what mode you use. I use normal and sport and havent noticed any difference. It is still quick on tesco as it is on Shell. Only difference is that I save a few pounds with the tesco diesel and get a few tesco clubcard points.

Goodluck with fitting the DTUK 👍

• Like 1

I fitted it two months back, easy install in about ten minutes, I'm unsure what others are on about for the power connections as its is literally three leads to connect and hide the box between the battery and airbox as that keeps it nice and secure. The instructions that come with it are pretty good just follow those and you'll be flying mate.

As for the settings. DTUK say to leave it in default mode for a day first, then start trialling the different settings. I'm sat on 2+2 and very happy with the cars performance. But every car is different so just test it gradually and dont be too greedy otherwise the little orange engine light will make an appearance and cut all performance 😆

Cheers.

I've still yet to install it, weather hasn't been great up in Yorkshire.  Hopefully tomorrow is the day to have some fun.

I'm fitting the black grill surround and some OEM mirror caps in the same colour, will be a busy afternoon.  Had the car coming up to 2 years now so finally making some mods.  What do you think to Eibach lowering springs? Also looking for a front splitter and then finally want my flat bottom changing to Alcantara.

Some of you will notice the leather on the wheels wears pretty easily, and the chrome around my shifter is peeling... annoying to say the least. 

I've had the same tuning box for a month or so now, tried almost every setting and found 3+3 works well in sport for me loads smiles. Trying to find a good setting for dynamic and eco now :)

Also its really easy to fit, unless one of your clips is upside down as mine was. (fuel pressure I think). 

On 22/02/2020 at 11:46, Sherry7 said:

Cheers.

I've still yet to install it, weather hasn't been great up in Yorkshire.  Hopefully tomorrow is the day to have some fun.

I'm fitting the black grill surround and some OEM mirror caps in the same colour, will be a busy afternoon.  Had the car coming up to 2 years now so finally making some mods.  What do you think to Eibach lowering springs? Also looking for a front splitter and then finally want my flat bottom changing to Alcantara.

Some of you will notice the leather on the wheels wears pretty easily, and the chrome around my shifter is peeling... annoying to say the least. 

I've got h&r springs fitted, very happy with those as the ride feels good so far, had vwr springs on a mk7gtd and they were very bouncy, these are much better. Gives a nice drop too.

Yeah I agree with the steering wheel and shifter, mines only on 40k and the wheel looks like it's done twice that as well as the shifter. Plan to get those sorted in time. 

• 2 weeks later...

All fitted over the weekend, really great gains and loads of fun.  Having a play with the settings not quite found the best suited map had it in map 3 setting 0 today great top end on this setting for my car I highly recommend if anyone is thinking of purchasing one.  

I had one some years ago, it was great initially, although flat spots appeared and are hard to eliminate if you pushed the settings. After a few months i got a setting that sort of worked for the whole rev range.... then i drove to the Alps in the Summer. I can only guess it got too hot and caused nightmares, kept tripping to limp mode, restart then OK, limp mode again.... Ripped it out and the car was perfect.  I will not be fitting another 'Tuning' box, a complex way of over fuelling that as temperatures go high or low can lead to engine management issues.

No problems currently, regens as normal really happy with it so far. Scared the brother in law yesterday who knows my car pretty well until the installation he’s looking at one now for his 3.0tdi 3 series. 

On 05/03/2020 at 13:37, matrix2020 said:

I had one some years ago, it was great initially, although flat spots appeared and are hard to eliminate if you pushed the settings. After a few months i got a setting that sort of worked for the whole rev range.... then i drove to the Alps in the Summer. I can only guess it got too hot and caused nightmares, kept tripping to limp mode, restart then OK, limp mode again.... Ripped it out and the car was perfect.  I will not be fitting another 'Tuning' box, a complex way of over fuelling that as temperatures go high or low can lead to engine management issues.

The tuningbox didn't get hot, the car's timing management altered itself to suit the unusual conditions (altitude = less oxygen) that it found itself within. 

You didn't realise & change the settings on the box so, it was altering the Fuel Air ratio of thin air which wasn't the conditions you'd set the tuningbox up for

On 08/03/2020 at 07:40, themanwithnoaim said:

The tuningbox didn't get hot, the car's timing management altered itself to suit the unusual conditions (altitude = less oxygen) that it found itself within. 

You didn't realise & change the settings on the box so, it was altering the Fuel Air ratio of thin air which wasn't the conditions you'd set the tuningbox up for

I wish it was that simple, it never recovered, irrelevant on temperature or pressure (mountains or valleys), the box started playing up on the French plains (low altitude, high pressure due to OAT heat). But it carried on playing up at all altitudes and all temperatures so I am not sure how your statement of 'it did not get hot' works? The temperature outside when it started playing up (at low altitude) was high 40s centigrade OAT and much much higher in the engine bay, especially when refuelling and no dynamic cooling, and it never worked properly again. Changing the settings made absolutely no difference at all, it continued to randomly put the car in limp mode. As I said I can only guess it was the extreme heat that killed the box, it most definitely was not the settings and/or the change of altitude. I tried it many times both in France and back in the UK before throwing it way. I do understand the impact of altitude and temperature on engines as I have flown helicopters for the last 30 years.

On 09/03/2020 at 10:24, Settol said:

It would be nice to know what the box actually changes when you choose a different map, then at least we could all have a better understanding of what each setting does. 

Agree, rolling road will need doing to find that out. I’m having this done in the summer. 

On 09/03/2020 at 10:24, Settol said:

It would be nice to know what the box actually changes when you choose a different map, then at least we could all have a better understanding of what each setting does. 

Careful, you are moving toward the JB4 box functionality which is far more configurable, has a logging function so, you can tell just how the engine is running & adjust it accordingly. Which a great tool if you wanna squeeze every last Nm outta the engine however, I kinda reckon drivers using tuningboxes want more power that can be hidden.  Playing with detailed AF settings ect. can put lots of strain on an engine & run the risk of a full engine/turbo/gearbox warranty claim.

Expensive warranty claims can provoke more detailed examinations of the car's data files, doesn't matter who's tuningbox/remap whatever, if the root data says the engine ran 20-25% above its expected operating parameters your warranty claim will get rejected & you'll be asked to pay off your entire PCP or forfeit your PCH.

This reason alone can explain why DTUK outsell JB4, 27 differing stages of tune set by someone else (blame removed) is generally enough for most whom by going the tuningbox route have already shown a risk aversion. Whereas with the JB4 a technically better product, the onus of responsibility shifts to the owner/driver whom sets up the tune state.