Bloody pot holes

1 hour ago, 310golfr said:

depends on which part of the country your from, only 1 in 20 claims successful in sunny glesga

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/revealed-potholes-on-scotlands-roads-that-so-big-they-can-be-seen-from-space/

This backs up what I stated in my post,  that Councils pay out in 1 in 4 cases. Sadly, and perhaps surprisingly the Glasgow authorities are not that generous!!

Add me to the pot-hole hospital.

I’ve got one buckled wheel and both front dampers leaking. Not that I needed the explanation but the mechanic said it’s all because of the pot holes. He saw my address and knew that I live down a country lane which makes Aleppo roads look like the M6 toll

Should we really be diving along scanning the road for potholes? This alone means that your attention is at best divided. It is not always easy to serve round them as incoming traffic makes it impossible.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that councils have let the roads become so dangerous.

I heard that London are diverting the money that should be used on potholes to subsidise the buses!

5 hours ago, facet edge said:

Should we really be diving along scanning the road for potholes?

Well you should be looking for potholes/puddles as they might mean you need to steer around them to be sure that one doesn't actually deflect you into the other carriageway, oh and people and pets need to be checked for - just look at animal ankle level and you can see the road surface and avoid ever present urban glass.

You should be looking at the road surface ahead, not just looking for potholes but for gravel, mud, standing water, debris etc, any one of which can cause loss of adhesion.  

I see lots of people drive through large pools of standing water at speed, anyone pause to think if there is a hole in the middle where an underground chamber cover has lifted because of the flood?

We built a network for the council in Hefeford, our Project Manager recommended lockable chamber lids in one area because it was prone to flooding but they would not pay for them.  Six months later, after the first floods had lifted all the covers off in that area, they called us back to fit lockable covers.  When it is flooded you can't see what is underneath.

On 28/02/2020 at 09:29, IJWS15 said:

I would suggest that a large proportion of rejected claims are based on the defence that if the Authority is unaware of the damaged surface then they cannot be found negligent and thus no valid claim. That defence also contains a reasonable time frame, based on the extent of damage to and location on the highway, for repairs to be completed.

To balance earler comments about not paying claims, recent figures actually suggest that over 50% of claims are successfull nationally. There are significant local differences.

Similarly, drivers have a duty to drive with due care and attention but I doubt that not spotting a pothole would count. On the other hand either swerving quickly and/or braking sharply might well count especially if damage to third party property or injury is caused as a result.

If you suffer damage, the first thing is to report the damage together with the total area, depth and location to the Authority then consider whether you want to claim. If you are rejected you should be told why.

Sadly the system is not generally in favour of the average person claiming from an Authority. It means a degree of effort is often required to pursue any claim beyond a first rejection. 

I had a case of a broken edge of a country lane rejected because 'it was not part of the highway'. I was able to show that it had been maintained as part of the highway previously. Claim paid.

I think the problem in my case is that the pothole had appeared that day, so I suspect that any claim that I make for the tyre will very quickly be rejected because the council won't have had time to repair it - which is honestly fair enough.

• Thanks 1

Over the last 15 years my wife has blistered four tyres and bent one alloy in probably 80k miles.

In the same time I have driven 300k miles without blistering a tyre.

I drive on the same roads as she does, I am a little more cautious over damages road surfaces.

At least she hasn't done one in the last 5 years and her current car is on 18" wheels . . . . . 215/55s - it is an SUV.

On 02/03/2020 at 18:33, NJRJ said:

Well you should be looking for potholes/puddles as they might mean you need to steer around them to be sure that one doesn't actually deflect you into the other carriageway, oh and people and pets need to be checked for - just look at animal ankle level and you can see the road surface and avoid ever present urban glass.

Of course I realise you should be aware of the road ahead. What I was trying to say is the council's are making our lives even more difficult by neglecting the roads.

There is a good site Here where you can report damage. You stand a good chance of reparation if the pothole has already been reported.