Considering a Roomster, quick question on room

MCG1975

Hi, hope this is a quick question to answer here.

We're unfortunately looking like we will have to replace my wife's 2007 VW Polo as it's starting to show its age, and have been looking at Roomsters.  What my wife would like is something where the seat position is a bit higher so it's easier for older relatives (and us) to get in and out as the Polo is a little low, plus as we've got teenagers with long legs we would like a bit more space than in the Polo (although for long distances we've got my company Superb).

Would a Roomster be something that would tick those boxes?  We haven't started looking in earnest yet but if anyone has any comments or tips that would be great.  We have seen as Roomster Scout which I am guessing is a little higher than normal?

Thanks in advance for any pointers and advice.

Matt

Hi Matt, 

The Roomster, Fabia and Polo share the same platform, so in truth there's very little difference between the with regard to leg room and height etc

Roomsters are however fantastically versatile, the middle seat can be removed to make a comfortable 4 seater and the boot is truly huge. 

The vehicle I think you are describing is a Yeti ...  I have one of each :) 

• Like 1

In the Roomster the rear seats are bit higher (and slide forward and backwards to increase leg room or boot space).  They are full varioflex and can take them out completely.

However the vehicle does not have a high floor and high seats like an SUV. But having said that because of high roof, can have front seats up high without hitting your head, so will not be as low as Polo

The Roomster Scout is not higher, it had some off road look plastic panels, 16 inch wheels instead of 15 inch, but it’s more decorative (rather than being off road running gear).  Others prefer the panoramic glass roof of SE spec

Amazingly versatile as second car, have even bought a small chest freezer and just slid it in.  But our teenage daughter used to say it is ugly (although stopped saying that since she has started driving lessons and wants extra practice in it)

Probably one of the best cars that Skoda made, it’s a shame they discontinued it, would definitely get another if it ever came back.

• Like 1

Roomster Scout - the best car I have owned in fifty years of motoring.  Like John, I would definitely get another if it ever came back.

But if you need higher seats then as B1ackb1rd said, you probably need a Yeti - which is the second best car I have owned in fifty years of motoring.

• Like 2

I have a roomster and a yeti in which i take my mother out in and she finds the roomster more confortable and easier to get in and out off, as he has arthritus in both her knees she finds the yeti to high to climb into.

Edited by prometheus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an elderly relative with limited mobility who reckons the Roomster is the best car she has ever experienced for getting in and out.  That is only for the back seats though.  Combination of higher roof line and higher seat.  Only issue she has is fastening the seat belt.  She won't be reading this so...  She is rather broad in the beam and struggles to find the buckle to plug the belt in!  When we take her for extended journeys I remove the centre seat and move the outer 2 towards the middle.  That makes a lot of difference!

The high back seat also makes for much increased leg room even when the rear seats are moved forward to increase the already enormous boot.  I have done this on a couple of occasions when carrying 4 adults and luggage to allow larger wheeled suitcases to be stowed "north-south" making it easier to pack it all in.

Here's another great advantage of the Roomster... The high roof line means that you can tip back and drain the last drops from a 500ml Coke bottle without doing contortions with your neck. 😄  Try doing that in a Polo!!

• Haha 3

The only car I can strap my grandson in his child seat in the back without bending over. Plenty of legroom in back, visibility great and so so comfortable for long distance travel. I bought mine new and 6 years old i have no intention of chopping it in. I will drive it until fossil fuel cars are banned.

• Like 1

I have had 2 Roomsters, first a diesel and now a petrol. They are the best I have had in 60 years motoring, certainly for space and versatility and load carrying. The wheelbase length is much greater than a Polo's or a Golf's, this translates into more leg room, especially in the back. As others have written, the back seats move approx 30 cm forward/back allowing you to prioritise seating or luggage room. The rear seats are mounted higher than the fronts and combined with the deep rear door windows give excellent visibility for rear seat passengers. The rear doors are "square" at the top allowing plenty of head room when entering or leaving the car. At the front it is more conventional, but the seating position is higher than hatchbacks and the higher roof line gives more than sufficient headroom.

The boot is deep, meaning wheelchairs and the like can be stored upright without needing to move rear seats or fold them. Take all the seats out and it becomes a van. Despite all this it is compact on the road.

I drive as a volunteer for a local charity taking elderly people to medical appointments; there is consistent praise for the car and often surprise at the name of its manufacturer.

After having Roomsters for nearly 10 years, I find other cars mostly cramped and claustrophobic with their low rooflines and pokey windows. 

I wish there was an adequate replacement on the market. Any ideas?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, joeski said:

The rear seats move forward and back?  How do you slide them, pretty sure mine are fixed in place.

If you remove the middle seat the outer two slide by releasing the red levers and sliding the seats sideways on the bars. You get more elbow room

Edited by edbostan

15 hours ago, moleinaroomster said:

I wish there was an adequate replacement on the market. Any ideas?

Ford's Fiesta-based MPV is high on my radar.  No varioflex rear seats though.

VW's Caddy Life is another possibility.

The larger Berlingo/Rifter/Combo trio have fold flat(ish) rear seats - but they're all made of spit and Kleenex 🙁

I knew you could move them sideways if you lose the middle seat, I also knew they had handles at the front but always presumed they were for carrying them when you removed them.

I'm nipping out in a bit, will have a play :D

Lift 'the handles' to move the seats backwards and forwards. Remember to ensure the seats are fully back when you remove them. If you don't and replace them and slam them down to lock you break the locking mechanism

You can also slide them back and forward from inside the boot using the pull straps - easier to pull them back than move them forward though.

The varioflex seats are, for my money, the most useful feature of the Roomster and the Yeti.  Shame they have been dropped in the K-----q models.

• Like 1

Many, many thanks for all these great responses and advice.  Currently seeing if the Polo can be nursed along with a CV joint change pending finding the cash down the back of the sofa but am very encouraged that a Roomster will be the eventual replacement.

This forum is truly awesome!  Hope you are all keeping safe in the present time.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2020 at 00:19, eccleshill said:

The varioflex seats are, for my money, the most useful feature of the Roomster and the Yeti.  Shame they have been dropped in the K-----q models.

I am fully inclined to agree. Switching the Roomster from van to bus and back again was so easy. 

Your second point though, they are an option in the K-----q models, the Karoq for definite anyway, and fitted standard the higher up the range you go. I have a Karoq Scout now having traded our Roomster on it and it has the varioflex. Not nearly as useful though as the boot floor is higher. 

I was looking forward to the rebranded Caddy Roomster coming out but I think the Golf SV would have been a good one to rebrand. It even bears a slight resemblance to the Roomster but is a bigger car. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We purchase a Roomster about 4 years ago. My 96 year old Mother in Law lives with us. We spent a few days trailing around car showrooms looking for a car that she could get into easily. I wanted a Skoda Superb estate.BUT no good too difficult to get into. So we went looking at bout 0 other vehicles including ones with sliding doors. No good.

For some reason we went back to the Skoda dealer and in the car park was a Roomster.  It was a customers car being serviced but the guy got the keys and Nana jumped in and out like a good en.
The following week I picked up a 2012 1.2 TSI. Done about 24,000 without a problem (apart from the door wiring loom) Brilliant car really pleased with it.

It is also good for both ends of the age spectrum. I can strap kids into the rear fitted car seats without breaking my back by staying upright. My 93 old mother finds the rear seats an easy entrance and exit. It is a great vehicle but not appreciated by the fickle design conscience.

Edited by edbostan