Self Employed-Corona Virus Self Help

Some posts removed due to a bit of OT straying.

Please remember that CV19 is having - and will continue to have potentially devastating consequences on a great number of people. The self employed look to be particularly vulnerable at the moment.

Therefore question whether the answer is relevant before replying. :thumbup:

Edited by john999boy
Typo
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

So is there anyone out there with any advice for the self-employed?? Anyone taken up a job as a delivery driver etc? 

Funny you should mention that, I was just commenting to self employed partner that she could probably find work doing that if she feels the need to earn some cash.  No prospect of any of her normal work for the foreseeable.

I'm going to take as much as I can out of my company and will probably wait until April (new financial year) to try to get work. Just easier to get my head around it with a clean start. Probably going to be forced to take an early discounted pension though. Buggers up my retirement plan, but it might make the difference between going under and not. I might have to sell my George Clooney 

25 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I might have to sell my George Clooney 

Christ, tough times. 

"Condition: some wear and tear evident, as can be expected for its age"?

I'm afraid my gender fluidity is insufficiently developed to make you an offer for him/it.

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

Christ, tough times. 

"Condition: some wear and tear evident, as can be expected for its age"?

I'm afraid my gender fluidity is insufficiently developed to make you an offer for him/it.

I might just rent him out. He is still fully functional, with fully operational knees and looks stunning when properly buffed up. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

So is there anyone out there with any advice for the self-employed?? Anyone taken up a job as a delivery driver etc? 

Slightly OT but as of Friday I am now an Ex-self-employed-delivery-driver. 

My quack told me that as I have 3 of the 'vulnerable' problems (nearly 70 y.o. + Type 2,  + COPD with 2 episodes of pneumonia in last 3 years) I should self-isolate for 12 weeks at least. Unfortunately SWMBO was made aware and she and the rest of the family gave me endless flak.

So just relying on our pensions

• Sad 2

Just now, Lady Elanore said:

Ta. 

Funnily enough my accountants just emailed to say they hoped that something was in the air. :thumbup:

No probs. If I see anything more I'll keep you posted unless you've already seen something.
Take care :thumbup:

Getting information on the interweb can be tricky as there is a general melt down in services to do with credit/tax/financial help etc 

I'm sitting tight until April 1st as I want this tax year to end, so I don't fall foul of something that later bites me on the bum and it gives time for the government to do something to help before I panic :D 

I've been out to two machine breakdowns today, but had a call postponing the next two days work. This was followed by another customer with a breakdown wanting me in urgently. I haven't planned too much because I think companies will shut down soon and I will be working my way through the decorating list that Mrs Moley is no doubt preparing. 

Self-employed workers must wait several more days for Government support as the Treasury works on a package of help for those who face losing their livelihoods as a result of coronavirus.

Rishi Sunak is under mounting pressure to ensure that the self-employed are not financially wiped out by the recession which is expected to follow the Covid-19 epidemic.

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-support-self-employed-workers-income-rishi-sunak-plans-2507920

2 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Is that a bill to be heard in the near future? 

That's the way I see it, yeah. Hopefully sharpish as an emergency measure. Don't take your kit to Cash Converters just yet!

1 minute ago, Lady Elanore said:

Do have more info on that? just for a bit of context. 

Not at the moment, no. Sorry 😞 If you're on Twitter that came from @JamesMelville

• Thanks 1

If it got passed and they let me use my annual income (which includes my dividends) then that bill would save me for the rest of the year no problem. I'd even be able to do unpaid volunteer work like deliver medications to the OAPs etc 

• Like 1