Self Employed-Corona Virus Self Help

• 4 weeks later...

Small business loans as started last Monday are quite amazing. 

Apply one day and have all the relevant information and qualify and money in the bank the next day.

No repayments for the first year then 60 months of repayments at 2.5%

My local MP has been great at keeping me up to date with her and her parties attempts to help us lot. It looks like it isn't going to happen, but I get a genuine sense they have and are still, trying. I'm hoping that I might get a job in August. It's looking 50/50 at the moment so fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

I have been out on a few jobs, but none this week and I get sweet FA from the government.  I have been making or repairing parts for customers and selling some spare parts. Over the last couple of days I have had customers calling asking when I can visit them to carry out some repairs etc. Last month was OK, but a bit down on a normal April, May will  be well down on the norm, but I a have a lot of work queued up after that if I can get to it.

9 hours ago, Aspman said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52642197

But I don't think you're covered if you pay yourself thorugh dividends. Which covers pretty much every contractor I've ever known.

Yep, I'm still screwed 😞 

I dread to think how harshly we are going to get hit by the chancellor next year, especially after he threw us all under the bus this year.  He had already intermated that he was coming down hard on us next year and that's before the world went mad. A lot of people will go bust I should think, even if they start to get regular work soon. Making up for the savings I'm burning through, will extend my retirement plans by several years now

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Sad 1

One of my friends retired last year, he's looking to go back to work now with the hit his pension income has taken.

I've seen a few articles stating that that cancellor shouldn't expect to be able to clobber everyone with tax increases and have the economy grow and everyone keep spending.

This is the old Churchill quote -

Winston Churchill. “For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.”

The only silver lining is that every nation on earth is pretty much going through the same thing.
  • Like 1

There are an estimated 2 million people in a similar position to myself (ie no real financial support at present) and as the chancellor seems set to ignore us now, I feel confident he will carry through his threat/proposal (delete as you see fit) to tax us much heavier and probably make it more difficult to work for many companies as a freelancer (the industry trend for us lot is for facilities companies to only employ people who have a ltd company and refuse to employ sole traders) 

Mind you that's getting ahead of myself as I've not any work for nearly 2 months and the government has only given me just over £500 to get me through. I failed a job interview at a supermarket due to my torn rotator cuff 😞 

• 1 month later...

Coming up to the 5th month for me with no income but all the overheads to pay and still blocked from making the claim for the €1500 per month that I should be due from the fonds de solidarité. Not much solidarité being shown when the people that are claiming it have a payment holiday from their taxes & social charges and I am still making contributions on an estimated income which I wont even see 1/10 of this year 🙁

But I finally got to see a real person behind a mask, behind a screen and I had to wear a mask as well so that didnt go too well, in a couple of weeks I might finally get the missing magic number in time for them to tell me that my claim is lodged too late 🙁

The good news is that for my sector the aid is being extended till September, about the time that I might actually be able to claim some.

But then it will have to run out at some time for everybody, at least I am quite used to it now.

• Sad 1

I finally have started to get a bit of work, but sadly won't get paid for at least another month. So it will be over 5 months with no pay for me? and I need to find around £1,500+ for seed money on a job I have at the end of the month. Still it's a good problem to have, as it's work! YAY! 

• Like 2

The Bounce Back loans capped at £50,000 being used to buy cars is not some internet myth, plenty have used dormant companies to borrow with 6 years to pay it back.

Then there are those trying to get vehicles by getting BB loans by using a Car traders DOB etc and getting money paid into their account as though the payment came in from the customer.

If that has worked for any chancer only time will tell.