Brake fluid cap dia

OK, I'll ask even although I know there must be loads of you who are dying to know but are too shy to ask....

Why do you need to know the diameter of the brake fluid reservoir cap and why can't you just measure it yourself?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

On the same topic of brake reservoirs on the Superb 3, a quick question. While checking the fluid level on my 2015 Superb 3, I noticed that the yellow filter has a hole on the very bottom  (see pic)...and try as I might ( without using excessive force ) I was unable to remove it to check it further.  In other makes that I have worked on, the brake fluid reservoir filter has always been 100% complete. Unless the Superb filter is a two stage one?   Anyone else noticed this? And what's the trick in removing it?  It will move up and down  freely about 1/4" ( or 4-5 MM ) then stops. I tried gently to extract it with a snipe nosed pliers, but no good...it's still in situ.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

Superb Brake Reservoir Filter 20200912_194037[9038].jpg

@Jim Reire I've replaced the brake fluid few weeks ago. You don't need to remove this strainer. On the contrary, the maintenance manual (downloaded from cardiagn.com) recommends to leave it the fluid tank. I personnally leftit in the tank and no problem with it.

I've used a brake fluid bleeder kit like this one: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hand-Brake-Fluid-Bleeder-Bleeding/dp/B076WZ8D6L/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=brake+fluid+bleeder+kit&qid=1599954258&sr=8-9

No issue.

I've already released a tutorial on a french forum. I just need to translate it, if needed. ;) 

• Like 1

Hibap33, thanks for your prompt reply , I understand the function of the filter and also the reasoning behind not removing it, so my question was concerning the hole that is in the bottom of the filter. It can be seen in the Pic. and my question about removing it was so I can check if a part of it has fallen into the reservoir? A filter with a hole in it would seem to prevent it from doing it's filtering job? This is why I need to remove it, but if its designed like this, then no need.

Although I can't for the life of me figure out it would happen accidently....its not like something  where you would need to check it daily, or poke something around in it to check the level. So I assume that its designed like this?  BTW, the car is  a late (sept) 2015 Superb, 1.6 tdi with 80'000 klms on the clock, and its getting its first rear brake pad change, so I'll change the fluid as well . (  It's overdue, I know )  I have a Draper vacuum set that I use for oil changes, and in the past I've used it bleeding brakes as well, but the one you propose might be a bit better for the job if only because it's neater and easier to see what's happening. I'd like to have a look at your Tutorial, if you can give me the link? The language will not matter, as Google has a very good translation  service. 

Thanks again for your help, and 

Best Regards, JIm.

Edited by Jim Reire
grammer change

11 hours ago, Bap33 said:

@Jim Reire I've replaced the brake fluid few weeks ago. You don't need to remove this strainer. On the contrary, the maintenance manual (downloaded from cardiagn.com) recommends to leave it the fluid tank. I personnally leftit in the tank and no problem with it.

I've used a brake fluid bleeder kit like this one: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hand-Brake-Fluid-Bleeder-Bleeding/dp/B076WZ8D6L/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=brake+fluid+bleeder+kit&qid=1599954258&sr=8-9

No issue.

I've already released a tutorial on a french forum. I just need to translate it, if needed. ;) 

Me again Bap33, this time with a question about the bleeder you mention. I've had a look at it, and if I'm right, it works like this:  The reservoir of the bleeder is filled with fluid, and connected to the brake master cylinder, and then pressurised, The drain pipe and container is then connected to an opened bleed nipple , and let nature take it's course. When the new fluid, makes it's appearance , lock the bleed nipple, and move on to the next one, etc. until all 4 are flushed and air-free. The advantage as I see it over my Draper vacuum system is that  the pressure is always positive,,, all the way from the Brake master cylinder back to the bleed nipples,,,,which of course prevents any air from entering the system,,,,,even from the bleed nipples. I've often had  the problem when using the 2 man method, ( one pumping the brake pedal, and the other managing the bleed process at the wheel ) of air entering the system via the bleed screw threads. Positive air pressure from the master cylinder will eliminate that completely, even if the screw is opened several threads. So yes, I think that it will be a good investment, I'll go for it, assuming that I'm right in how it works?

Thanks again,

Jim

@Jim Reire 

Though I did not try to remove the strainer, to me, what you think to be a hole, is a kind of well, because it's a common part for several VAG vehicles. Some of them effectively may have a brake fluide level sensor. This 'hole' allow this sensor to plunge quite deep for "low level" detection. (My wife's Audi Q3 has this kind of sensor)...

Dealing with the bleeder kit now, you've understood everything. I've written the tutorial, just have a look, here:

• Like 1

Hi again Bap33, yes I've read your very detailed instruction's for bleeding the brakes with the brake bleeder kit, and its very clear and comprehensive. While I have already bled the brakes ( needed the car back in action ) I have ordered the one you recommended, because with 6 cars in the Family Fleet, and 2 year brake fluid intervals, for sure, it will be used !!!:cool:  This one has  "Standard Adapter E20 and collection bottle 1000 ml" so i'm praying that it will fit the Superb 3..... but if not, it seem's to be a detachable fitting, and I should be able to get or jury-rig one.  We will see !!:D

Your explanation for the hole in the cylinder filter is the correct one, I'd say....none the less, its a strange set up, install a filter that does not filter, and on a function affecting the brakes.

Anyway, Thanks again Bap33, you have been most helpful !

Best Regards, 

Jim.

Edited by Jim Reire
Grammer