Is it a 140 or a 170?

tintinandcharlie

1 minute ago, Daveyeti said:

Yep, noted the 420nm, had to ask google to convert that to old school, around 310ft lb. Love the torque on these things and its the only reason I'd consider a remap really, just to enjoy more torque. You experienced any reliability issues with remap?

And what was the mileage when you had the remap, and now? I know that Shark originally had concerns with the clutch/DMF if the mileage was knocking on a bit.

I want to remap the 170 I hope to end up with,  mostly to get rid of the emissions fix, but also to release more torque for towing. What should I be concerned about/avoid? DMF/Clutch, Haldex, etc? I'm searching for a manual raather than DSG. At what sort of mileage should the clutch/dmf be replaced for security?

Also, I have test driven a local 170 that has had the fix (i checked), and tbh it seemed a bit flat, certainly not 30bhp better than the 140 in my Scout. Is that a legacy of the fix? There;s not a secret button I should have pressed for a bit more vim?

22 minutes ago, tintinandcharlie said:

And what was the mileage when you had the remap, and now?

95k and 135k remaps been on for about 2 years.

Can't answer on the 170 never driven one.

I had the fix removed a week after I got the car at 90k made a difference but not as much as the remap.

Edited by idleness

18 minutes ago, tintinandcharlie said:

Also, I have test driven a local 170 that has had the fix (i checked), and tbh it seemed a bit flat, certainly not 30bhp better than the 140 in my Scout. Is that a legacy of the fix? There;s not a secret button I should have pressed for a bit more vim?

Mine has remained standard, didn't have VW 'fix' so can't comment if it made the car feel less responsive. However, noted your Octavia Scout was 2.0PD. I may stand corrected, but weren't the earlier PD engines known for delivering a good chunk of torque lower down the rev range than CR diesel. Mine kicks in at 1750 rpm.

13 hours ago, Daveyeti said:

Mine has remained standard, didn't have VW 'fix' so can't comment if it made the car feel less responsive. However, noted your Octavia Scout was 2.0PD. I may stand corrected, but weren't the earlier PD engines known for delivering a good chunk of torque lower down the rev range than CR diesel. Mine kicks in at 1750 rpm.

It's the first (and thanks to the Vimtovirus lockdown, the only) CR that I've driven, so I don't have anything else to compare it with. I wasn't polite with it, even with the salesman in the back, but still disappointed.

If standard CR140 is similarly flat, it would be out of the question, but one remapped to 170 like idleness' (especially if it's character resembles the 140PD but with extra beans) might tick most of my boxes.

14 hours ago, idleness said:

95k and 135k remaps been on for about 2 years.

Can't answer on the 170 never driven one.

I had the fix removed a week after I got the car at 90k made a difference but not as much as the remap.

I notice you've also had the bigger brakes upgrade, how did all those mods affect your insurance?

Edited by tintinandcharlie
Apostrophe pedantry.

3 minutes ago, tintinandcharlie said:

I notice you've also had the bigger brakes upgrade, how did all those mods affect your insurance?

Along with fitting the towbar my insurance actually went down ;)

I did change companies to LV as the company I was with refused the mods.

This year its £337 two old fogies driving, in rural Devon, 12000 miles PA (I've retired so not doing the miles now).

Last year £315 but I was living in Northamptonshire.

I understand that Shark aren't about as such but I've had my CR170 Shark remap for 70k since it was a relative youngster at 14k.

Third CR170 Yeti and the first one I'd had mapped. I did try a tuning box but that was vicious and brought the engine management light on sat at road works traffic lights (consistently) in winter months. Binned that and bought the 'do it yourself' remap box from Shark. Fntastic. really, really subtle but there when you need it. Much smoother when cold as well - morning commute was over the Chilterns and the extra pull was really noticeable there. I've never driven any other Yetis apart from mine but I don't think you'd be disappointed with a remapped CR170 - it is embarrassingly quick when you want it to be. I do run BP Ultimate or Shell V Power, no excessive regens.

Playing with VCDS, I've tweaked the brake boost up to the highest settings and switched on XDS which is good on the tight corners.... Without driving it too hard, the front pads and discs were changed last year at around 78k, rears are 50% worn now at 82k.

I went to LV and they charged £25 extra for the remap if I remember correctly. I haven't towed much with it and no caravans or boats but pulls well. Before the Yeti I had a remapped Fabia vRS (around 170hp) and that would spin the clutch. Nothing like that with the Shark remap. I'm not sure how someone like Shark could do such a fantastic job yet the EA189 'emissions fix' has been for some, a total night mare with the flat spots etc. I've never had the 'fix' done.

Fuel consumption improved about 1 mpg (brimming) to about 41 on the same daily journey - obviously without using the extra power which apparently be a bit over 200hp. These days using the Yeti for longer journeys it averages low 40s at 70 mph + and high 40s keeping it sub 65 mph.

PS As an edit and to keep on topic, TIBET III (face lift) has a red 4x4 and I and II (pre face lift) had the red  TDI. Oh, and my boat is called Tintin...! And the weekend was spent putting the summer wheels and tyres on and painting the callipers (E-Tech 'graphite' calliper paint is wonderful - half of one tin did the Citigo callipers and drums and all four Yeti callipers and the edges of the rear discs where they're starting to corrode. I know I need to get out more, but I'm not allowed....  

Edited by aerofurb
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My 2012 170tdi has a MoreBHP stage 1 remap to 210bhp & 430nm of torque. It's just clocked 128k & was chipped 5 years ago at 55k. Absolutely no problems at all, never had a cat regen but my journeys are 90% "A" roads & motorways. It also hasn't had "the fix" post Dieselgate. Performance is impressive & tows well, no clutch or flywheel issues, still all original.  The car's also got Eibach Pro springs, Bilstein B4 dampers & Brembo Xtra discs & pads all round. Makes a truly great car even better. Insurance increase was initially nearly £100 over standard, but now I'm only paying £220 a year fully comp with protected NCD. Great to be old. 

• Like 2

On 01/05/2020 at 19:23, rover220 said:

this is not a reliable indicator of engine output

I think the only model of Gen1 Yeti that was fitted with 312mm front brakes was the 170 TDI 4x4. I don't think any others (including the 1.8TSI) had them.

So IF a Gen1 Yeti has 312mm discs (and you know they've been that way since new) then it's a pretty clear indication it's a 170.

2 hours ago, muddyboots said:

I think the only model of Gen1 Yeti that was fitted with 312mm front brakes was the 170 TDI 4x4. I don't think any others (including the 1.8TSI) had them.

So IF a Gen1 Yeti has 312mm discs (and you know they've been that way since new) then it's a pretty clear indication it's a 170.

Spot on muddyboots. That is my understanding of gen1 yeti.

16 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

You can not go by brake disc size if you have no idea if a former keeper has upgraded brakes as some on here have done.

Hence my "and you know they've been that way since new" comment :wink:

28 minutes ago, muddyboots said:

Hence my "and you know they've been that way since new" comment :wink:

The first paragraph of the first post states "but I'm trying to buy a Yeti Elegance that's advertised on autotrader and Cargurus as a 170, but on the dealer's website as a 140,"

He has no idea of previous history.🙃

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2020 at 11:45, Rustynuts said:

The first paragraph of the first post states "but I'm trying to buy a Yeti Elegance that's advertised on autotrader and Cargurus as a 170, but on the dealer's website as a 140,"

He has no idea of previous history.🙃

So to answer this, it was a 170. Red D, I and X. And it had a pan roof, so I have moved on. (BTW, are they all really THAT bad? Has anyone had a good one?)

On to a supplementary question then, given similar specs, is a Gen2 better than Gen1 in all respects, or are there any advantages in sticking to the older model? Still after a 170, or a 140 mapped to 170-ish.

Slightly different question, what can the 140 be remapped to (Nm and bhp) without changing any hardware? (I'll add extra braking regardless) Pros and cons please.

Cheers.

T

Edited by tintinandcharlie

29 minutes ago, tintinandcharlie said:

So to answer this, it was a 170. Red D, I and X. And it had a pan roof, so I have moved on. (BTW, are they all really THAT bad? Has anyone had a good one?)

Yup, many thousands of owners ... dont forget, if things are ok and working properly then you will never hear about it .... only those who have a problem, or those who like to repeat the doom and gloom stories  will comment and many of them are unlikely to actually have a car with the "irksome" roof.

Like everything with cars, some are good and some are bad ... if the Pano-roof was that bad then the VW group (and many other manufacturers) would not have fitted many hundred of thousands of them in various models over the last 15-20 years.

However, be aware and do your checks carefully 🙃

Edited by TruckbusUK

Sun roofs or panoramic roofs on a Yeti and just how SKoda and Official dealerships have dealt with issues even in a all percentage really has nothing to do with other models, other VW group sister brands or generations of vehicles.   The recoring issues are well documented and are in number greater than just those that visit a forum to give vent or ask advice.  Obviously there is not all having issues or SKoda would not have got off as lightly as they have in what repairs cost as owners get landed paying out just too often.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

8 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Sun roofs or panoramic roofs on a Yeti and just how SKoda and Official dealerships have dealt with issues even in a all percentage really has nothing to do with other models, other VW group sister brands or generations of vehicles.   The recoring issues are well documented and are in number greater than just those that visit a forum to give vent or ask advice.  Obviously there is not all having issues or SKoda would not have got off as lightly as they have in what repairs cost as owners get landed paying out just too often.

No doubt that is the crux of the problem, but the same pano roof mechanism from the same manufacturer is used across the VAG group and by several other manufacturers .... honestly they are not all bad even in the Yeti.

People who've had a leaking sunroof will invariably be on the side of the fence which is reserved for people who don't want another sunroof. The other side of the fence will be populated by people who haven't had a leaking sunroof, or indeed haven't had a sunroof to leak but still have an opinion on the subject.

Personally, I won't have another car with a sunroof so I won't have to suffer the massive condensation problems, the smell, the staining of the headlining, the pools of water in the passenger footwell after it rains etc.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

People who've had a leaking sunroof will invariably be on the side of the fence which is reserved for people who don't want another sunroof. The other side of the fence will be populated by people who haven't had a leaking sunroof, or indeed haven't had a sunroof to leak but still have an opinion on the subject.

Personally, I won't have another car with a sunroof so I won't have to suffer the massive condensation problems, the smell, the staining of the headlining, the pools of water in the passenger footwell after it rains etc.

I totally get how you feel, we once had a Renault Clio with the electric tilt n slide sunroof (ok different mechanism but) ... it leaked from the day it was delivered, it was replaced twice under warranty then eventually removed by a non manufacturers bodyshop and filled with sealant and refitted ... it still operated as normal, but after that it never leaked again, 18 years later we said goodbye to the Clio (it was 21 years old by then) ... dry as a bone ...

I get it I really do, and fully understand your fear ... but with the number of this specific unit in circulation, honest they dont all leak ... Why do Skoda behave like a PIA  ... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Three Yetis over 10 years, last one for 6 years. All three with pano ceilings and none have leaked. Only issue was TIBET II that was prone to creaking occasionally but Allams sorted it on a service and it was fine after that. Any minor creaks caused by ambient temperature changes are cured by opening (tilt) and closing (untilt!) the roof and letting it reseat on the seals. 

The light into the cabin is fantastic. The blind shuts itself when it gets cold or wet when parked. The view through the roof is second to none - especially for the back seaters as I found out when a couple of friends and I took TIBET III for a jaunt down to Dubrovnik (threrad elsewhere) and you could sit back and watch the Austrian mountains pass by (when off shift from driving!). 

I wouldn't have an issue buying a Yeti with a pano roof. Mind you, I don't have an issue with brown leather seats (TIBET III being an L&K) or Tibetan Bronze paint whilst others, who have never lived with such niceties will look the other way. The L&K had a great spec for standard 'extras', what's not to like. As others have said - the naysayers tend to outvote the happy folk - human nature.  

• Like 3