spark plugs recommendation

I have tunnel vision so can't see beyond NGK for use in any VW Group engines I'm likely to end up working on. They seemed okay for VW Group to use, so why not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I have tunnel vision so can't see beyond NGK for use in any VW Group engines I'm likely to end up working on. They seemed okay for VW Group to use, so why not.

last batch i got was denso, will these do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-MK1-1-2-02-03-08-08-NGK-SPARK-PLUGS-x-3-ZFR5P-G-6893-NEW/153852780937?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3AFabia|Cars+Type%3A1.2|Plat_Gen%3AMK+II|Cars+Year%3A2008|Variant%3AMK+II+[2006-2014]+Hatchback&hash=item23d2572189:g:cQgAAOSw5XxeXSPn

Skoda fit various makes to the 3 cyl HTP engines. Ive seen Beru and Brisk as factory fitted OE. BZG and its variants take bog standard plugs and not the fine tipped iridium or platinum that Tsi engines require.

Standard plugs are good for 40,000 miles on my experience of two htp engined cars, I use Bosch Super Plus plugs on those, racked up over 200,000 miles without problems on Bosch, still going strong

Super Plus Consumer Brochure.pdf

from ECP/Carparts4less

Super Cheap and at least as good as OE.

Bosch Part nos are FR7HC+     0242236565

CP4L shown below (ECP is the same company)

Under £3 per plug with sale discount code, free delivery too.

Screenshot_20200329-145151.thumb.png.5d6b5488af7308e5f06be1245caed41c.png

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

When I changed (TSI engine), I had a choice of NGK or Bosch. I went with the Bosch as they were a lot cheaper and, to my mind, Bosch don't make rubbish plugs. They've been good so far.

On 29/03/2020 at 14:59, xman said:

Skoda fit various makes to the 3 cyl HTP engines. Ive seen Beru and Brisk as factory fitted OE. BZG and its variants take bog standard plugs and not the fine tipped iridium or platinum that Tsi engines require.

Standard plugs are good for 40,000 miles on my experience of two htp engined cars, I use Bosch Super Plus plugs on those, racked up over 200,000 miles without problems on Bosch, still going strong

Super Plus Consumer Brochure.pdf 404.13 kB · 1 download

from ECP/Carparts4less

Super Cheap and at least as good as OE.

Bosch Part nos are FR7HC+     0242236565

CP4L shown below (ECP is the same company)

Under £3 per plug with sale discount code, free delivery too.

Screenshot_20200329-145151.thumb.png.5d6b5488af7308e5f06be1245caed41c.png

would these do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BOSCH-SUPER-PLUS-YTTRIUM-SPARK-PLUGS-for-CARS-FULL-RANGE-AVAILABLE/161370688371?hash=item2592714b73:m:mJMSW6pEg-Q20Dpxq7JYQgw

1 minute ago, xman said:

Make sure you order the correct ones +51  0242236565

tank you

what about these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0242236565-BOSCH-SPARK-PLUG-51-IGNITION-PARTS-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-PART/152294813953?epid=28010366518&hash=item23757a7101:g:YG0AAOSwgAhc20n3

i didnt realise there would be different ones out there.

The original ebay link you gave has the correct plug, but make sure to pull down the +51 Variant which is the correct plug for a BZG engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BOSCH-SUPER-PLUS-YTTRIUM-SPARK-PLUGS-for-CARS-FULL-RANGE-AVAILABLE/161370688371?hash=item2592714b73:m:mJMSW6pEg-Q20Dpxq7JYQgw

FR7HC+   is the Super plus range, yttrium enhanced

+51 is the variant

0242236565 is the Bosch Part no.

Check basket contents show these numbers before ordering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xman said:

The original ebay link you gave has the correct plug, but make sure to pull down the +51 Variant which is the correct plug for a BZG engine.

FR7HC+   is the Super plus range, yttrium enhanced

+51 is the variant

0242236565 is the Bosch Part no.

Check basket contents show these numbers before ordering.

thank you again

i  understand now.

37 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

do i need to apply any grease to the new plugs before installing?

on my last change, i just put the new plugs in without anything.

Do not put anything on threads, they are nickel coated rolled threads not requiring use of anti seize or anything.

If you put anything on those threads you're likely to create big problems and corrode the aluminium threads.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Do not put anything on threads, they are nickel coated rolled threads not requiring use of anti seize or anything.

If you put anything on those threads you're likely to create big problems and corrode the aluminium threads.

thank you again xman

i will just leave it as it is :) 

• 10 months later...

hi guys

i bought these spark plugs last april, will i need to change it yearly? reason i ask is because someone told me that these kind of plugs can last few years.

40 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

hi guys

i bought these spark plugs last april, will i need to change it yearly? reason i ask is because someone told me that these kind of plugs can last few years.

No, they'll last at least 20k, age means nothing, only wear.

• Like 1

When we used leaded fuel spark plugs were changed at every service because they became crudded and needed to be cleaned to remove the deposits of combustion. These days they are as clean as a whistle and platinum and iridium tipped so they last much much longer. Mind you the dealer changes them ad hoc even if you have only travelled 5k because at £99 a set they are raking it in. I am on my second set at 42k and 8 years.

Edited by edbostan

When the Service was Minor & Major time about and even major and major 2 years apart the Manufacturers Recommendation / Guidelines and Fixed Price Skoda Servicing in the UK the 'Spark Plug' replacement was at the 2nd Major Service, so 40,000 miles / 4 years, which ever was soonest.

The problem was this was the same with the Air Filter, and people could pay £269, then changed to £289 and get a Major Service at 4 year intervals and they were not changed.

Some dealership did Fuel Filters at 4 year Service Intervals on a TSI or TDI and some only on TDI's and some never bothered, but the Service was still £279.

11 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

...40,000 miles / 4 years, which ever was soonest.

This is just so dumb, spark plugs don't age, you can buy NOS plugs for vintage cars that are 50 years old yet brand new, by that logic you shouldn't use them because they're over 4 years old. Staggering stupidity.

• 1 year later...