Seat memory woes

My drivers seat memory will no longer work 😞 I have tried all the solutions on the forum and on the VW forums to no avail - move seat forward, tip up seat base, tip seat back forward etc. I was going to book it in to Skoda to get them to sort it before the warranty runs out in July but due to the Covid-19 the dealers around me are not working. 

The seat can still be adjusted manually fine. The mirrors don't appear to be moving when selecting a different driver from the infotainment screen either.

Not in a desperate hurry as the car is just sat on the drive permanently now. Just reached 6000 miles from new so not overuse causing the problem!

Has anybody in the forum had the same problem and been able to fix it?

Edited by TerryMcK

9 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Are you moving the seat base forward the whole way? It won’t reset by adjusting the tilt. 

move seat forward, tip up seat base, tip seat back forward - so yes

And you’re holding both the switches forward until you hear a sound? It should be a clicking sound from memory. 

I’ve never heard of needing to tilt the seat base up to reset the seat memory. 

The procedure I've used is:

• Slide seat base all the way forward. It goes all the way then a further press makes it move another short amount. No clicking heard (apart from the relays clicking under the dash) but it will not go any further.
  • Then, and this varies as to which forum you visit, tilt the seat base up (the front of the seat base lower than the rear of the seat base if you get what I mean - picked up from VW forum)
  • Finally move the seat back all the way forward then quickly press all three manoeuvre buttons separately in quick succession to ensure they are in their final resting positions (within 10 seconds). A beep or two should be heard but it isn't.

Also tried it by moving seat forward and then the seat back tilt forward (leaving the base as it is) had to move sun visor to do this as the head rest would catch on the ceiling if the seat base was too high 😃. Still no joy.

Edited by TerryMcK

Keep the seat base on the lowest position then move it forward as far as it can. Then tilt the seat back as far forward as it can. Finally hold both the seat base and back switches forward at the same time until you hear a sound. 

Edited by ZacDaMan72

Just now, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Could the issue be the battery nearing being discharged?

Trickle charging the battery is going to become a necessity for many people not using cars for a while.

Good point. I'll put the battery on charge.

• Like 1

OK vehicle battery fully charged.

Seat fully down, moved forward and then seat back moved forward.

Held both switches (slide and tilt) until beep heard. This took about 20 seconds or so.

Slid seat back and then adjusted seat and mirrors until correct.

Pressed store and then pressed 1

......Nothing. No chime or anything.

No Joy 😞 

Back to the drawing board.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this with mine, it helped having obdeleven and watching live values.  Mine hadn't registered in the up most position. Hold and then hold again and it should go up a bit more.

I had the same issue - it won't restore based on driver profile.

Ended up getting the seat module replaced under warranty. 

They tried a software update to it first, but still no luck.  So they got a newer updated module - 5Q0 959 760 C

Previous part number was 5Q0 959 760 B.

IMAG4560.thumb.jpg.86c3e59a026a02e472a6b90a082c1062.jpg

Edited by JR RS

• 2 months later...

After a lot of messing about trying to store a memory on seat position, i found that by simply entering the car pressing "SET" then letting go and pressing desired number "1" in my case the seat stored the position with a bong lol. As i previously thought you were supposed to hold SET and NUMBER at the same time to store a memory of the position. I bought my car second hand so not sure if the module had been updated and this is the new way to program the seats. Must be worth a try after all it has worked for me after 2 weeks of messing about.

13 hours ago, carrswood said:

i found that by simply entering the car pressing "SET" then letting go and pressing desired number "1" in my case the seat stored the position with a bong lol.

It's been like this since day 1.

It's in the manual.

Im sure my manual says hold both together which does not work and i have attached a small video from DM Keith Skoda showing this method. 

Well this is partly where all the confusion is, i got my booklet out this morning and it definitely says "HOLD" not press this is very strange indeed, this is the original 2017 booklet that came with the car, i have attached a picture which confirms what i am saying, owners need to be aware of this as they could be wasting time and money following the booklet and video. 

IMG_20200628_122734272.jpg

Ah yes, I can see why the confusion @carrswood.

Hopefully they've corrected this in the printed manuals.

The screenshot I showed is from the MySkoda user manual.

My memory seats were wiped/disabled twice by valeters. I looked it up online and fixed it fine by doing this:

Move seat base all way forward, then press a few times once it’s stopped to make sure it’s gone all the way.

Move seat base all way backward, then do the same. 

That’s it - I didn’t touch any other switches for height/angle/anything 

Edit: before you try storing positions again, switch off ignition and lock the car for 2 mins. I can’t remember if the ignition was on or off for resetting the seat memory but try both

Edited by drewellis

• 1 month later...

I've had my seat memory fixed by the dealer on warranty. It appears that what happened is this:

I have Kessy with 3 keyfobs and over a period of time the batteries have been getting low. I am normally the driver of the car but my wife sometimes drives it with her own keyfob. Needless to say the seats, mirrors and many other settings like the radio are changed when she gets in. Just before lockdown we went on a trip to Joderell Bank and she drove. I got into the car with my own fob about a week later and noticed the seat did not move. Then I discovered pressing the preset buttons at the side of the seat also did not work.

The seat itself could be moved with the other switches and the mirrors had to be adjusted manually with the switches.

The garage reported what had happened was there were many error messages written into the log some of which were about various key fobs being low on battery. The system couldn't cope as it didn't know which driver was in the car and it set a flag in the control module which disabled the seat/mirror memory segment. So they put in some fresh batteries in all the fobs at the same time, reset the flag which reactivated the seat/mirror memories, went through a relearning procedure and everything is now working.

Moral of the story is replace your batteries regularly.