Spare Wheel advice

Hi,

After some advice please. I’m after a spare wheel, preferably full-size but space saver would be OK. 
I have 235/40 r19 wheels and wondered if pretty much any VAG group wheels will fit with the same centre hole size?

I’ve found a VW transporter wheel that has a 205/65 r16 tyre on it.  

Here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352942383244

....which I think is only 0.3% difference in diameter to my normal wheels/tyre.... according to:-
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=235-40r19-205-65r16

So what do you guys think?  is there anything I haven’t thought of?  Will it fit?  I know it will look crap but I don’t care about that as long as it gets me home!

Thanks!

I posted this in a separate thread a couple of weeks ago - 

For anyone contemplating replacing the "tyre repair kit" with a spacesaver spare wheel here's my recommendation based upon my recent experience - 

1. First ask on here if anyone has one for sale !! I missed a chance here that would have saved some time and effort.

2. You'll need the spacesaver wheel, a jack and brace kit, and a foam insert to support the floor properly. Skoda dealers will charge around £180 for a 16 inch wheel set and £210 for the 18 inch wheel set. That includes everything you need and the tyre is brand new, unused obviously.

3. If you want to get it cheaper then head over to eBay.  You should be able to find an 18 inch spacesaver wheel (just the wheel and tyre) for around £35. This will be a used item but query the seller and you should be able to determine that it will have plenty of tread for a spare. Note that all the VAG use the same spacesavers so an 18inch wheel for a VW Golf should fit the Superb and so on. The 18inch Superb wheel uses a 125/70 R18 tyre and the rim has the code "1K0601027B" stamped on it (the 16 inch wheel will have a different tyre size and code).

4. You can get the full jack, wheel brace and foam insert kit brand new from Superskoda here Superskoda 18inch or here Superskoda 16inch for around 60 Euros.

That makes the whole kit less than £100.

If you want to beef up the wheel brace with something that has a little more leverage then you'll need a 17mm socket on the end of it.

Don't forget to ensure you have the little plastic "tweezers" thingy to remove the plastic wheel nut covers - that's not included in the Superskoda kit.

And I highly recommend removing all the wheels and putting a touch of copper ease or similar around the inner centre of the wheel where it sits on the hub to prevent the wheel from sticking to the hub due to corrosion.

That's all.

•  
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, raveydavey said:

205/65 r16 tyre

that size fits perfect ->

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/442912-full-size-spare-wheel/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5040470

during last two years haven't had to test on road,
original size 205/55r16 cancels Cruise Control, that weren't happiest trip -

~80km distance with spare wheels speed limit 80km/h
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/434028-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/

On 10/04/2020 at 00:05, raveydavey said:

Hi,

After some advice please. I’m after a spare wheel, preferably full-size but space saver would be OK. 
I have 235/40 r19 wheels and wondered if pretty much any VAG group wheels will fit with the same centre hole size?

Some Superbs have bigger discs so need a minimum of a 17 in rim to fit.

The 280/272 at least, not sure about the 220.

So if you have 19's now, check that a 16in rim will fit.

Made the mistake of not specifying one when I purchased the car new . Found it difficult to get a 17” wheel for sensible money . In the end I bought a set of 4 ,  17” alloys with winter tyres already fitted , off a Yeti for just £200 from eBay . Great through the winter and I keep one of the original wheels as the spare . Bought a jack and brace off a Passat for £35 , also off eBay . One way to do it and better value too. 

4 hours ago, Haystack1 said:

Some Superbs have bigger discs so need a minimum of a 17 in rim to fit.

The 280/272 at least

yes, only 272/280 has big brakes -

340mm front and 310mm rear instead others have 310/298,
but that isn't problem for 16" spare wheel,
just install spare on rear axis, that way is more safe for any type of engine

Don't make the mistake i did.  I bought a new space saver, jack and tool kit for my 16 Plate 190 DSG with 17" wheels from a dealer, then i traded the car and the new Superb 150 had a full size spare.  Now tripping over the thing every time i go into the shed.  Still, it looks nice though!!  I haven't checked, but i'm sure it would fit all 16, 17, 18".  MartiniB mentioned about fitting on the rear.  I've seen that in here a few times, always fit the space saver to the rear otherwise it can mess up the ABS and cook the diff, or so i have read.

11 hours ago, OFFS said:

Don't make the mistake i did.  I bought a new space saver, jack and tool kit for my 16 Plate 190 DSG with 17" wheels from a dealer, then i traded the car and the new Superb 150 had a full size spare.  Now tripping over the thing every time i go into the shed.  Still, it looks nice though!!  I haven't checked, but i'm sure it would fit all 16, 17, 18".  MartiniB mentioned about fitting on the rear.  I've seen that in here a few times, always fit the space saver to the rear otherwise it can mess up the ABS and cook the diff, or so i have read.

I did notice when I put the winter tyre wheels on my car , the tyre pressure monitor didn’t like them , kept saying low pressure . It took a few resets before it finally settled down and accepted them . 

On 12/04/2020 at 20:40, OFFS said:

The main reason is emergency braking, the front wheels do most of it and you want the same effort from each one, imagine when one tyre is twice the width of the other  -  put the space saver on the back.

• Like 1