Engine coolant question

Hi, apologies of this is in the wrong place or already answered elsewhere. 

My 2016 Octavia VRS has red/pink engine coolant in it and has just gone below the minimum line. The manual was useless as to what type etc to put in. 

The coolant tub in the engine says G13 on it so I got G13 coolant. However this is green. I don't have a mechanical bone in my body but a lot of people say not to mix two colours, some seem to think it doesn't matter. 

So my question is has anyone topped up their coolant with a different colour and was there any issues? And what should I do put in this coolant or see if I can find a red coloured G13 type.

Cheers

I have a similar problem. The coolant colour in my SEAT and the antifreeze I bought from Europarts is pink. The wife's Dacia has yellow coolant. I have been topping up the coolant in her car with the pink stuff for two years with no problems and the overall colour remains a shade of yellow. The colourant is only a dye beloved by a particular manufacturer.

Screenshot_20200424-191739.thumb.jpg.436f5a7a6418f4409379e12a39c3f640.jpg

1 hour ago, CathalD said:

Hi, apologies of this is in the wrong place or already answered elsewhere. 

My 2016 Octavia VRS has red/pink engine coolant in it and has just gone below the minimum line. The manual was useless as to what type etc to put in. 

The coolant tub in the engine says G13 on it so I got G13 coolant. However this is green. I don't have a mechanical bone in my body but a lot of people say not to mix two colours, some seem to think it doesn't matter. 

So my question is has anyone topped up their coolant with a different colour and was there any issues? And what should I do put in this coolant or see if I can find a red coloured G13 type.

Cheers

I have never seen G13 coolant in any colour other than pink/violet, even euro car parts own g13 is the same colour as vw's own. Had a quick Google and found this, it says VW compatible but i personally wouldn't know.

Edited by allan1888

No, you should definitely not mix pink with green.

G13 is pink...

1 hour ago, CathalD said:

The coolant tub in the engine says G13 on it so I got G13 coolant. However this is green.

What coolant have you bought? What brand and where from?

I've no idea why Mannol decided it would be sensible to colour their G13 green, when their G12 was pink...

image.png.a81878269bc611835e4af39bff2bd9df.png     image.png.47ca0a5ba40ab31b9eefd634bfe935fa.png

1.5 litres of genuine VAG G13 can be delivered to your door for around £15...

image.png.07d55927fef497c9c6b4dbd8527192c5.png

Just make sure you get the pre-mix and not the concentrate so you just pour it straight into the expansion tank without diluting it.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following this with intererest particularly the contradictions ! Just googled "yellow antifreeze" and got the following......Mannol Yellow Antifreeze Coolant 5l G13 Ready for Use German Hi Spec.  Until proven incorrect I rest my case on the " fact" that G13 is G13 whatever colour it is.

crazy that one company decides to colour their G13 coolant differently from all the other manufacturers. personally i would stick to the proper VW spec coolant as you know it meets the requirements.

• Like 1

Just got this info off Ebay concerning green g13.......

MANNOL Antifreeze G13 -30°C

Corresponds with requirements / specifications / products:

SAE J1034
ASTM D3306/D4340/D4985
BMW 
DAF 
FORD 
FORD AF Plus, ESE-M978B4H-A
GM SATURN
GM 1825M/1899M
JAGUAR 
JOHN DEERE 
MAN 324
MN 235.0
NATO S-759
OPEL GM QL130100
RENAULT Typ D
ROVER 
SAAB 
VW-Audi-Porsche 

I watched an episode of Blackadder yesterday where Lord Percy in persuit of gold discovered green. Perhaps the Antifreeze manufacturers were trying for pink but got green !!!!!!!

The reason there are different colours is to show different chemical compositions, although the use of certain colours for certain compositions isn't reliable.

"Never mix different types of coolant.

Unless you're an expert on the exact chemical composition and reactions of the various types, keep it simple and stick with what the manufacturer recommends."

G13 should be pink.

There may be green G13, but as it isn't pink and in the absence of a list of ingredients for side-by-side comparison then don't use it would be my advice.

The fact Mannol have used green colouring for their G13 would be enough for me not to buy it, simply out of principle. Life is already complicated enough.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Just got this from the ASDA Website..................CarPlan Demon Cool is a universal top-up antifreeze and coolant suitable for use in all vehicles (both petrol & diesel) and mixes with all colours of antifreeze already in the radiator/expansion tank.
As an antifreeze…add Demon Cool to enhance and revitalise the qualities of the original antifreeze, providing exceptional performance in all driving conditions.
As a coolant…Demon Cool can also be left in the system as a coolant and inhibitor, protecting against rust for up to a maximum of 5 years.
The synthetic process and additive package within Demon Cool provides exceptional year round protection whilst offering a superior corrosion resistance over extended service periods.

ADVANTAGES
Ready mixed with de-ionised water for added convenience
Winter protection down to -36°C
Patented clear formula
Protects all types of engines
Excellent compatibility with seals, hoses and plastic components
One coolant for all vehicles
The concentrate used to make CarPlan Demon cool meets or exceeds the requirements of:-
BS6580: 1992
APPLICATION
Whilst engine is cold, remove cap from radiator or expansion tank
Check antifreeze level
If necessary, just pour in Demon Cool to fill level as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
Replace cap

The concentrated stuff from both Mannol and Carplan is approx £6 per litre. The pukka G13 from VW group is approx. £13.

Why the h*ll would you risk screwing up the cooling system (which are complex on modern cars) just to save £7 ?

• Like 2

Engine

Volkswagen: Identifying And Mixing Factory Fill Engine Coolants

Coolants G11, G12, G12+ and G12++ have been replaced by an improved version. G13 coolant is introduced on all engines.

on

Feb 22, 2016
  •  
  •  
VW coolants G13 G12 G11

G11, green-blue; G12, red; G12+ and G12++, purple; G13 (not pictured), purple.

Models

All 1994-2016 (except Routan)

Technical Background

Coolants G11, G12, G12+ and G12++ have been replaced by an improved version. G13 coolant is introduced on all engines.

Service

Identify which coolant the vehicle was filled with from the factory. The photo below shows the color of each type of engine coolant.

Note: The photo above is for color identification only. Your packaging may vary.

The table identifies which coolant can be added to the factory coolant.

Note: G12+, G12++ and G13 coolants are lifetime coolants when used exclusively in the coolant system (not mixed with other coolants).

Coolants can be mixed, as described in the chart, but it is always a best practice to change the coolant due to reduced corrosion protection when coolants are mixed.

Additionally, coolants can be mixed, as described in the chart, when adding/topping off fluid levels. When the coolant is changed due to a cooling system issue, the cooling system should be drained and filled.

VW coolant mixing tableThe table is read by identifying the factory filled coolant at the top and comparing it to the available service coolants to the left. (Example: If the car was factory filled with G12++, the coolant allowed is G12++ or G13.)

Tip: If a vehicle is found to have the incorrect coolant, the cooling system should be drained and then filled with the correct coolant.

Note: Cooling system drain and fill due to coolant mixing or incorrect coolant is not covered by warranty.

• Like 1

It must just be me?

I'm all for saving money, but seriously, Demon Cool and Mannol?

As pointed out earlier, the genuine Skoda coolant is readily available, matches exactly the coolant already in the system and is a few quid more expensive.

I'm all for saving money, I spent weeks haggling on the price of my Skoda to save thousands of pounds, but I draw the line at a tenner for genuine factory spec VAG coolant.

• Like 4

If I had to use any of the Mannol coolants, it would be the Mannol AF13++ given that meets the same VW TL 774 J spec as VAG G13.

I can't even find the green G13 on the Mannol website and certainly nothing to suggest it meets the correct spec. Even though some of these coolants can be mixed with all other coolants, it doesn't mean they will work or protect as effectively as unmixed coolant.

Given we're unlikely to reach a consensus, feel free to use the green Mannol G13 or CarPlan Demon Cool but personally, I'd stick to proper VAG G13 or the Mannol AF13++ at a push.

edit:

When I say ""feel free to use the...."

- Green Mannol G13 <- do so at your own risk, I certainly wouldn't until the spec is confirmed.

- CarPlan Demon Cool <- probably won't cause damage, but I wouldn't recommend it when better options are available.

Edited by langers2k
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, langers2k said:

...feel free to use the green Mannol G13...

I'm not sure I'd advocate mixing green with pink, which will turn brown i.e. the colour of rust and/or oil.

We all know rusty coolant is not great. The OP's car is out of warranty now, but each time someone opens the bonnet, unless the OP explains to them first, they're possibly going to jump to a wrong conclusion, or it could potentially mask a genuine issue in the future.

If the plan is for a full system empty, flush, refill and to then use green, then perhaps so. But then if that is the plan you might as well just use pink again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I'm not sure I'd advocate mixing green with pink, which will turn brown i.e. the colour of rust and/or oil.

I agree completely, I wouldn't put the green Mannol G13 anywhere near my car! Even more so given it appears not to exist on their website so the spec is unknown ;)

The "feel free to use the green Mannol G13 or CarPlan Demon Cool" wasn't a recommendation or even a suggestion, just an acceptance that it's probably going to happen. I'll make it clearer in my previous post...

• Like 1

On 25/04/2020 at 11:11, silver1011 said:

We all know rusty coolant is not great. The OP's car is out of warranty now, but each time someone opens the bonnet, unless the OP explains to them first, they're possibly going to jump to a wrong conclusion, or it could potentially mask a genuine issue in the future.

I think the biggest problem with mixing green and pink G13 will be the confusion it causes, as you say.

On 25/04/2020 at 11:11, silver1011 said:

If the plan is for a full system empty, flush, refill and to then use green, then perhaps so. But then if that is the plan you might as well just use pink again.

I think this is still likely to cause confusion in the future when someone looks and sees that the car is supposed have G13 but the coolant is green!

• Like 1

Thanks folks,based on the answers I've had here I've decided to hold off untill I get a better coolant, bar some absolute emergency!

Had a look at the bottle there since it seems to be such an unusual coolant, it says it's made with mono-ethylene glycol  and doesn't list any of the VAG cars at the bottom with other brands. It's also harmful of swallowed.