Skoda Enyaq

vrskeith

• Administrators

I'd be quite tempted once the range with stuff on; wipers, ac, heaters, is 300+ 

It's not uncommon for me to head from home in sheffield, to say Ilfracombe, with a few toilet stops, 281miles, but no specific long hour stop. Now I could easily bake two 30min stops in.

Heading to scotland, via perth thats 400+ for fort william.  Once past the Lake district the driving is easy but hilly. I normally bake a stop in on the a66 and again around perth, both I think I could do with this ev.

But could I do it with all the essentials, and maybe the radio on too? That I'm not so sure about. And I know I'd have fun getting to Orkney ;) and back. Ultimately as I've learnt from the above tv show, it's about changing habits, expectations, making more of the journey than the destination.

If it wasn't for covid and a few other problems, I've got a 'video' tour planned for the enyaq if skoda press lent us one. And it's mostly based in scotland ;) Where now, I'll need the wipers, ac and radio ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

First thought watching the interior videos of these newer designs... there's a bit of peugeot leaking through the bank of buttons mostly.

I did sit in one of these for an hour to soak it all up. Very tempted I was.

Edited by ColinD

32 Chargers going in to Stirling Park & ride instead of the 1 rapid and 1 slow will help many travelling, 

If all were working at Perth Park and ride that would be Simply Clever. 

Then there are the new chargers going in at Forfar which will be good for those using the A90.

Such a pity that between Perth & Inverness the Charger infrastructure is so pathetic and the speed of that being improved is even more pathetic.

The Scottish Government's Electric A9 seems to be more talk than action, but they lie sign about the A9 like at the 2 chargers in Dunblane.

At least that is in a car park of a Tesco Metro.

The thing that is missing at nearly all Scottish Charging Hubs is the availability of public toilets.

That is not just because of Covid 19 and toilets being closed, it is because there are none in the close vicinity. 

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

There are plenty EV,s that are good for over 200 miles or 4 hours driving and then you are only charging for an hour during the trip if you want back up to the full range again.   If you have all the time in the world then charging for free while covering the miles in Scotland is rather nice.   There are plenty doing their journeys and liking the much cheapness.   Central belt Scotland is slow in getting enough charger hubs with enough chargers installed though.

One of the largest charging hubs in the country has opened in Falkirk football club car park. Doesn’t get more central.

And only 2 miles from me.

Maybe one day . . . . .

• Like 1

@BoxerBoy

Central for those in the Central Belt.   Not much cope if your  East / West is Glasgow - Edinburgh, you need to change the shortest route to a longer one.

The issue is really on the route South / North on the East Coast through Fife, where chargers around Edinburgh and the Forth Crossing are terrible, and worse where some on the route to cross the Forth are out of use for months. 

Just as well Perth & Kinross is providing a better service with EV chargers than Lothian / Edinburgh is.

Stirling is the important one for travellers North / South & the other direction on the A9, Falkirk Charging Hub is pretty not much unless they want to visit the Kelpies, or Falkirk wheel or your are in and around that area living or driving.

For the further away future.

Maybe a Coupe stylee roof but really It is just a 5 door  /5 seat car and an EV,

not a Coupe or SUV etc no matter what the Media people might want to call it.  If any thing it is a MPV, Multi Person Vehicle.

Edited by e-Roottoot

And that sums it up.  The charging “network” is nowhere close to meeting the needs of the end users in the real world.

I have to take someone to Aberdeen next week. Drop off. Return home. What a ****in’ nonsense that trip would be in an electric car compared with a simple 4+ hours, 260 mile round trip without stopping.

Let’s come back to leccy cars in a few years.

@BoxerBoy 

The 5 hour journey would be 6 hours including charging. But then that would mean being charged before leaving and charging again after getting back

Maybe it is too much hassle for you,, but i do trips like that every week or 2 and for the hour or less i stop and charge on route, usually after dropping the passengers off or before collecting them & instead of paying 26 litres of fuel i do the trip at no cost in electric.  

Its just £30 but it is £30 i have not spent.   (I do quite a few 400-450 mile round trips to Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen Airport / Heliport.)

I have spent less than the cost of 2 gallons worth of fuel at commercial chargers in the past 4,000 miles covered since the 10th of August.   Sitting an hour or less on a heated seat posting on here while charging is no different to me from doing it from inside a building.

The New Charging Hub at Forfar will make A90 trips quicker as the chargers in and around Aberdeen are not great or currently on the A90,

and you can travel from Perth missing going to Dundee.

A Costa Drive through, McD's & KFC just 50 yards from the Public Chargers, and the new EG Filling station where the Costa is going will have pay and go Rapid Chargers.

PS,

when the snow is falling and the usual nonsense is going on i will be buying liquid fuel and heading off the main routes to get places and home again.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

And that sums it up.  The charging “network” is nowhere close to meeting the needs of the end users in the real world.

I have to take someone to Aberdeen next week. Drop off. Return home. What a ****in’ nonsense that trip would be in an electric car compared with a simple 4+ hours, 260 mile round trip without stopping.

Let’s come back to leccy cars in a few years.

Agreed but if no one buys them now, there won't be any incentive to make and improve them in the future. Actual driving data and over the air downloads are invaluable for manufacturers' research.

VW just have to sort the Software / IT issues with the EV's and Skoda has not to launch or deliver the cars until the VW Group have.

Then do bundles where the cars are bought or leased with a charger installation arranged and completed if the customer wants it and a good energy provider / partner with VW Group offers great value electricity.

They are partnering on public chargers, sadly they are not Rapid chargers.

So some way to go before that happens.  First the Software / IT / Communications needs fixed by VW.   Then lots of training of technicians, dealership service desk staff etc etc.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2020 at 10:24, ColinD said:

I'd be quite tempted once the range with stuff on; wipers, ac, heaters, is 300+ 

It's not uncommon for me to head from home in sheffield, to say Ilfracombe, with a few toilet stops, 281miles, but no specific long hour stop. Now I could easily bake two 30min stops in.

Heading to scotland, via perth thats 400+ for fort william.  Once past the Lake district the driving is easy but hilly. I normally bake a stop in on the a66 and again around perth, both I think I could do with this ev.

But could I do it with all the essentials, and maybe the radio on too? That I'm not so sure about. And I know I'd have fun getting to Orkney ;) and back. Ultimately as I've learnt from the above tv show, it's about changing habits, expectations, making more of the journey than the destination.

If it wasn't for covid and a few other problems, I've got a 'video' tour planned for the enyaq if skoda press lent us one. And it's mostly based in scotland ;) Where now, I'll need the wipers, ac and radio ;)

wipers etc have feck all impact, heaters are fine if you have a heat pump, tesla doesn't but is about to get one for MY2021. I personaly can't drive 300+ miles non stop. I recently drove Edinburgh to Northampton, I stopped twice. I could have done it with one stop but I was getting tired and on both stops I was birsting for a pee. The key determinant is your bladder range and how long you can go without having to stop to have a leg stretch and take a break. 

There's no point paying for and then hauling around a bigger battery if you are only doing a big trip like that occasionally. The stops I make on long trips from Scotland to England are pretty much the same whether I am driving diesel or electric. 

• 2 weeks later...

Production has started and the line looks great. Note that there are 80x model badges on two cars (or the same one twice), so does that mean the AWD versions are now available for order?

Edited by Luckypants
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 14:41, Masternet said:

Hi, 

I just have got my Enyaq, feel free to ask.

Enyaq.jpg

Congratulation on the car.

Is this the production model? If so, what production week did this car come from?

Could you post some more pictures of the interior and exterior design?

Awsome car, can't hardly wait for it to arrive.

On 04/01/2021 at 11:23, e-Roottoot said:

@Masternet Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the Pic.  Very nice.

?

Could you tell us what the car is exactly, what size the wheels / tyres are, battery etc,

and what it came with for cables.  Was it 1 or 2 cables?

?

Do you have a home charger, or will you rely on public charging?

Hi, 

thank you for the warm welcome.

I have version "82", that means 82 kWh Battery, Interiour Lodge, 19" winter wheels "Regulus", almost all equipment except panorama roof and AR-HUD.

I have two cables, MODE2, this is a standard equipment and as a extra I have the universal charging cable by Skoda - 11 kW AC.

So I am usually charging at home and sometimes I also use the HPC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/01/2021 at 16:02, iamgod said:

Congratulation on the car.

Is this the production model? If so, what production week did this car come from?

Could you post some more pictures of the interior and exterior design?

Awsome car, can't hardly wait for it to arrive.

Hi, 

yes, it is the production car - my guess is CW50.

I will add more photos as soon as I can. Right now the car is under the snow.

20201218_142733.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Very Nice!

@Masternet You’ll have to let us know your impressions on the car, likes / dislikes etc. I’m sure many people are interested in your experience as am I.

I can see from the photo that you picked it up from the Skoda Dealer right in Mlada Boleslav where they are produced, do you have a connection with Skoda or just a customer?  It would be really interesting to see them produced, but the Pandemic I’m sure has stopped all that.

Many thanks for posting.

Edited by Greenliner1

4 hours ago, Greenliner1 said:

Very Nice!

@Masternet You’ll have to let us know your impressions on the car, likes / dislikes etc. I’m sure many people are interested in your experience as am I.

I can see from the photo that you picked it up from the Skoda Dealer right in Mlada Boleslav where they are produced, do you have a connection with Skoda or just a customer?  It would be really interesting to see them produced, but the Pandemic I’m sure has stopped all that.

Many thanks for posting.

Hi, 

you are right, that is the Skoda Dealership in Mlada Boleslav. I also work for Skoda, so do not expect any negative comments :-D

(My previous car was the Octavia, Gen 4)

Interiour: 

• Bigger than in Octavia, more legroom on the rear seats
  • The driver's seating position is quite similar to Octavia, but you seat higher (because of the Batteries), the windscreen is quite far away -> Enyaq feels roomy
  • I was worried, that the size of the FID is to small, but it is perfect - you can focus just on the important data
  • Infotainment is similar to Octavia with some improvements - it is possible to add your favourites settings to the bar with temperatures...

Drive:

• Quiet
  • Well balanced settings - It does not motivate to drive fast, but if you want to, it goes through the corners really easy
  • The weight of the car is well hidden because of the batteries between the wheels, you don't feel it in the corners
  • Acceleration is really smooth, 150 kW is perfect for everyday use, if you need more, you can choose up to 225 kW

Charging

• DC charging speed depends on the SOC and on the temperature of the battery, you can get the best charging speeds (125 kW) roughly to 50% SOC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’re in the middle of winter, waking up to ice on our cars.

What’s it like to warm up on a sub-zero cold start morning?

Hot seats? Hot screen? Hot wheel?

But more importantly, what’s the basic passenger compartment heating / AC like to live with?

4 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

We’re in the middle of winter, waking up to ice on our cars.

What’s it like to warm up on a sub-zero cold start morning?

Hot seats? Hot screen? Hot wheel?

But more importantly, what’s the basic passenger compartment heating / AC like to live with?

I think all cars have as an standard equipment the independent heating/ AC. You can set your departure time in the car or in the app and you have following options: Just normal heating/ AC, or you can add as an options: Heating of the seat (you can choose separately), heating of the steering wheel and also heating of the screen.

If you do not want to set it before, you can do it immediately in the app or by opening the car with the remote key.

I have the heating pump, and in comparison with my diesel Octavia, the heating is much faster. Heating of the seats and of the steering wheel is also automatic - overall I am very satisfied with the heating performance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@MasternetThanks for all that.

?

What tyres does it have, Brands, name and size.

I think an EV is the best of all worlds for winter even if not plugging in and pre-heating. 

Just start and turn heating to full and put on heated seat/s and steering wheel and the ice falls off the windows in minutes.

Tyres were an issue for me and Michelin Primacy 4 tyres were terrible for traction in the wet, cold or snow so needed changing for all seasons, and now i have winter tyres on.