280/Petrol - Does this sound right?

Hi all,

280 petrol (17 reg). The following sound happens when turning the car on from cold; I don't think this sounds right but the dealer says otherwise. It's still under warranty for another month and currently still with the dealer whilst they try and find anything that's wrong.

They've apparently checked the starter motor and that's fine. They're also telling me it sounds like it should do. So, Briskoda owners. Does this sound normal to you?

The initial noise is the same as mine. The second noise is not normal. I believe one of the Australian members car made that second noise. Hopefully they'll spot this thread soon and help out.

• Like 1

Thanks Boydee, can you remember what the Aussie member's car was at fault with? Hoping to head back into the garage tomorrow morning and fire it up for them when cold so they can hear it. They've also said they're going to bring out a comparison car to sound it off against, so we'll see how it goes!

Mine certainly makes that “whine” sound immediately after firing from cold. Not heard the three “blik, blik, blik” sounds following it though. I’ll check it this morning. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, numskull said:

Mine certainly makes that “whine” sound immediately after firing from cold. Not heard the three “blik, blik, blik” sounds following it though. I’ll check it this morning. 

Cheers numskull, appreciate it

7 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Think it was a kiwi car, they got the oil pimp replaced iirc.

Oops apologies. I knew it was Southern hemisphere but couldn't remember where exactly!  

Thanks all, so the tech had a look, had a listen whilst I was there. He explained that the oil pump seemed fine and would be giving other noises if there was an issue. He went on to say that he thought it could be related to the timing belt system pressurising up during warm up, or alternatively could be related to an underused aircon.

Ultimately he wasn't concerned by anything further, and so without any further rationale to look further, and with no recalls/notices, I'm going to keep an ear on it and see how it goes.

Thanks for everyone's contributions, much appreciated!

Elson, Elson - Yorkshire man to Yorkshire man. I can't sit back and say nowt.

We've already heard that a new oil pump fixed the issue for the lad down under.

This skoda mechanic you spoke to says it could be this or it could be that. He ultimately wasn't concerned. Well he isn't going to be is he, cos he's not going to be the one paying for it after your warranty runs out is he!

This problem you have aint going to go away on it's own. That mechanic has been taught like an mp to deflect and evade the information you already have because skoda wont want to pay up. Sounds like a loada fanny to me.

Anyway, I hope it works out ok for you 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just started it to check and it makes that “whine” sound immediately after firing-up from cold however, it doesn’t produce the three “blik, blik, blik” sounds following startup. 

7 hours ago, Elson said:

Thanks all, so the tech had a look, had a listen whilst I was there. He explained that the oil pump seemed fine and would be giving other noises if there was an issue. He went on to say that he thought it could be related to the timing belt system pressurising up during warm up, or alternatively could be related to an underused aircon.

Ultimately he wasn't concerned by anything further, and so without any further rationale to look further, and with no recalls/notices, I'm going to keep an ear on it and see how it goes.

Thanks for everyone's contributions, much appreciated!

I think we’re in agreement the “whine” is normal, the clicking ain’t. Yeah, that “technician” doesn’t have a Danny what the noise is, does he? Get a second opinion.