Sat Nav worked, No SD card!

Hi all, Viewed a 2017 Sportline on Thursday and just a quick question, I had a play with the Sat Nav and set a destination which it duly found, Now when I opened the glove box I was surprised to see both SD slots on the head unit empty, is this correct and are the maps stored differently? The reason I ask is My wife has a Leon FR and her Sat Nav won't work without the SD card inserted so that's why I was expecting to see an SD card. 

I put a deposit down on the car and want to be sure I shouldn't expect to get the maps SD card too, also if it doesn't have an SD card how do you update the maps? Cheers all 

14 minutes ago, JR RS said:

The Columbus version stores the maps on the in-built hard drive.

No need for SD-Card maps.

Brilliant thanks, thought as much, is the hard drive for the maps or can you store music on it as well?

8 minutes ago, john999boy said:

@yesman you will also find that Skoda allows free updates which SEAT doesn't. Check out posts from @MartiniB.

Interesting, I'll have to have a look in to that. Cheers 

42 minutes ago, yesman said:

is the hard drive for the maps or can you store music on it as well?

Yes, it's called the 'jukebox'. You can transfer music and/or video files and folders from SD or USB.

Select Jukebox as your media source to play the music/video.

56 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

Yes, it's called the 'jukebox'. You can transfer music and/or video files and folders from SD or USB.

Select Jukebox as your media source to play the music/video.

Cool, thanks, can't wait to pick it up and play with all the toys!!😁😁😁

On 23/05/2020 at 11:11, john999boy said:

@yesman you will also find that Skoda allows free updates which SEAT doesn't. Check out posts from @MartiniB.

The Amundsen updates work in my wife's Ateca but you have to replace one of the files with the original SEAT version and update the part number in another file, very convenient and probably the same in the Leon 🙂

And thank you to @MartiniB for keeping us up to date.

• Like 1

Mods to Amundsen satnav files to make them work on a 2017 SEAT Ateca FR:

1. Replace maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS with original version from SEAT SD card
  2. Set PartNumber4 in /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt to the part number from the original version on the SEAT SD card (6P0919866R  in my case)

Hope this solves your problem.

Info from https://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2553&start=10#p40495

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, D402 said:

Mods to Amundsen satnav files to make them work on a 2017 SEAT Ateca FR:

1. Replace maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS with original version from SEAT SD card
  2. Set PartNumber4 in /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt to the part number from the original version on the SEAT SD card (6P0919866R  in my case)

Hope this solves your problem.

Info from https://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2553&start=10#p40495

Now that looks interesting and may be something I have to look in to! :thumbup:

Just as a slight update to the instructions from @D402. I downloaded the new maps and configured as above and it seemed to work. But I must either have got the same maps or did something else wrong as it’s still showing the same version as I already had. Argh.

As the SD card isn’t the fastest to copy to I’ll do it all again tonight to verify but maybe with some different maps. Which ones did you use?

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

Just as a slight update to the instructions from @D402. I downloaded the new maps and configured as above and it seemed to work. But I must either have got the same maps or did something else wrong as it’s still showing the same version as I already had. Argh.

That sounds to be logical, because you've applies the old maps version data to the new maps. It'll report as the same old maps data but will be using the new maps data.

I think.

Sorry @john999boy, I cut the instructions down to just the modifications needed to the files downloaded from VW and extracted from the zip file. You must still have the original map data on your card. I suggest you take a backup copy of the SD card contents, delete everything off the SD card (which takes a while as you say), copy the extracted files to the SD card then make the changes above. I am using DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.

Could also be that you have the SEAT equivalent of Columbus rather than Amundsen so you'll need a different file from VW and different changes may be needed. If it is Columbus equivalent then nav will still work with the SD card removed as it only uses the card for updates, Amundsen needs the card all the time.

Apologies to @yesman for the thread hijack.

@D402

what exact titles does Seat use, are these correct?

only VW adds small changes for clearness

# Mib1    <2016
#
# Audi    MMI ???
# VW    Discover Media
# Škoda    Amundsen
# Seat    Navi
#

# Mib2    >2014
#
# Audi    MMI ???
# VW    Discover Media 2
# Škoda    Amundsen
# Seat    Navi
#

# Mib2H    >2014
#
# Audi    MMI Navigation Plus
# VW    Discover Pro
# Škoda    Columbus
# Seat    Navi Plus
#

# Mib2P    >2018
#
# Audi    ?
# VW    Discover Premium
# Škoda    ?
# Seat    ?
#

Edited by MartiniB

11 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

That sounds to be logical, because you've applies the old maps version data to the new maps. It'll report as the same old maps data but will be using the new maps data.

I think.

9 hours ago, D402 said:

Sorry @john999boy, I cut the instructions down to just the modifications needed to the files downloaded from VW and extracted from the zip file. You must still have the original map data on your card. I suggest you take a backup copy of the SD card contents, delete everything off the SD card (which takes a while as you say), copy the extracted files to the SD card then make the changes above. I am using DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.

Could also be that you have the SEAT equivalent of Columbus rather than Amundsen so you'll need a different file from VW and different changes may be needed. If it is Columbus equivalent then nav will still work with the SD card removed as it only uses the card for updates, Amundsen needs the card all the time.

Apologies to @yesman for the thread hijack.

I looked at moving all the OT posts to a new thread but they're a bit mixed up - hopefully @yesman will indulge us?

@Rustynuts I've led you up the garden path as I have the SEAT Navi System Plus which doesn't need the SD card in to work! 🤦‍♂️ I didn't think it to be the equivalent of a Columbus though so that's my excuse for not realising.

Anyway (and prior to realising what model I'd got), I tried to manually update from yesterday's SD card but it didn't play ball! Maybe @D402 knows if the file editing/swapping procedure outlined above is the same for 'persuading' the Navi System Plus to work for when I get the Skoda version from this thread - which worked fine in my Superb?

19 hours ago, john999boy said:

I looked at moving all the OT posts to a new thread but they're a bit mixed up - hopefully @yesman will indulge us?

@Rustynuts I've led you up the garden path as I have the SEAT Navi System Plus which doesn't need the SD card in to work! 🤦‍♂️ I didn't think it to be the equivalent of a Columbus though so that's my excuse for not realising.

Anyway (and prior to realising what model I'd got), I tried to manually update from yesterday's SD card but it didn't play ball! Maybe @D402 knows if the file editing/swapping procedure outlined above is the same for 'persuading' the Navi System Plus to work for when I get the Skoda version from this thread - which worked fine in my Superb?

What do I need to indulge? I just started a thread on how the Sat Nav was stored on a Sportline I'd been to see as there was no SD card but the nav worked where as My wifes Leon FR has a similar looking unit but the nav won't work with the SD card removed, it's not my doing that the thread got hijacked so don't really know what you mean when you say hopefully I'll indulge you!?

2 hours ago, yesman said:

What do I need to indulge? I just started a thread on how the Sat Nav was stored on a Sportline I'd been to see as there was no SD card but the nav worked where as My wifes Leon FR has a similar looking unit but the nav won't work with the SD card removed, it's not my doing that the thread got hijacked so don't really know what you mean when you say hopefully I'll indulge you!?

In that case @D402 has shown you a way to update your wife's car!

By 'indulging', I was referring to continued discussion about something that wasn't covered by the title.

Anyway and back to being OT :blush, it looks like the Navi Plus system uses FEC codes to allow (or in my case, probably not), the map updates to take place so I'll give it one last try and then call it a day if nothing happens.