Which exhaust! MK3 octavia

Might be a bit rich for your budget but I had the resonated (fairly quiet) 3" full stainless steel Milltek system fitted for £1,200 and as you would expect the quality and sound was impressive without being too intrusive. Perhaps the noisier non-res system would be slightly cheaper if that is what you are looking for. I also had the 3" downpipe with 200 cell sports cat (HJS) which was a further £600 (not a cheap option for the full system) and when cruising it was just like the OEM system but at idle it was more purposeful and made a good sound when accelerating which is when you want to hear the exhaust.:thumbup:

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Might be a bit rich for your budget but I had the resonated (fairly quiet) 3" full stainless steel Milltek system fitted for £1,200 and as you would expect the quality and sound was impressive without being too intrusive. Perhaps the noisier non-res system would be slightly cheaper if that is what you are looking for. I also had the 3" downpipe with 200 cell sports cat (HJS) which was a further £600 (not a cheap option for the full system) and when cruising it was just like the OEM system but at idle it was more purposeful and made a good sound when accelerating which is when you want to hear the exhaust.:thumbup:

Thanks for the reply ! 

I defianetly would be going down the Non-res route as may as well do it properly! I seem to be undecided between the scorpion or miltek. Miltek is about £200 more than the scorpion cat back, just a bit dubious of drone😑 The car is already stage 1 and hopefully push for stage 2 in the near future so ill be adding the downpipe is due time, then the clutch as I'm sure the stock one will not hold up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hazzaardous said:

Thanks for the reply ! 

I defianetly would be going down the Non-res route as may as well do it properly! I seem to be undecided between the scorpion or miltek. Miltek is about £200 more than the scorpion cat back, just a bit dubious of drone😑 The car is already stage 1 and hopefully push for stage 2 in the near future so ill be adding the downpipe is due time, then the clutch as I'm sure the stock one will not hold up. 

My Vrs245 was at stage 2 for 14,000 miles before selling it for the 4WD Superb due to traction issues (particularly in the wet) however even after 29,000 miles the standard clutch had no slip despite having to handle 517nm and 336bhp through the 6 speed manual gearbox. Can't comment on DSG however my current stage 1 360bhp Superb is coping just fine with only 514nm of torque. As they say in Formula 1 torque fires you out of the corners and power determines how quickly you get down the straights (quote from Mercedes AMG Petronas Head of Powertrains).:biggrin:

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

My Vrs245 was at stage 2 for 14,000 miles before selling it for the 4WD Superb due to traction issues (particularly in the wet) however even after 29,000 miles the standard clutch had no slip despite having to handle 517nm and 336bhp through the 6 speed manual gearbox. Can't comment on DSG however my current stage 1 360bhp Superb is coping just fine with only 514nm of torque. As they say in Formula 1 torque fires you out of the corners and power determines how quickly you get down the straights (quote from Mercedes AMG Petronas Head of Powertrains).:biggrin:

Maybe ill just ride with the OEM clutch till she pops 😂 do the superb feel as quick as the Vrs? 

2 minutes ago, hazzaardous said:

Maybe ill just ride with the OEM clutch till she pops 😂 do the superb feel as quick as the Vrs? 

0-60mph a stage 1 Superb 272 will destroy a stage 2 Octavia/Golf GTi however I would say that the superior power to weight of the Vrs would mean from a rolling start they feel about the same from 60-100mph (around 6 seconds). Above 100mph although the Octavia gained speed impressively the wider Superb feels more stable at very high speeds due to the wider tracks (front/rear) wider standard alloys (8J rather than 7.5J) and wider tyres (235 rather than 225mm). More power helps above 100mph also as they were both hatchbacks they will have similar drag factors.:whew:

I went for a non-res Milltek on my previous car and the drone between 2000 and 3500 rpm was so annoying I swapped it a year later to a res system.

Not sure whether there is a drone issue on the Octavia, the estate/Combi may be more affected if there is.

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

0-60mph a stage 1 Superb 272 will destroy a stage 2 Octavia/Golf GTi however I would say that the superior power to weight of the Vrs would mean from a rolling start they feel about the same from 60-100mph (around 6 seconds). Above 100mph although the Octavia gained speed impressively the wider Superb feels more stable at very high speeds due to the wider tracks (front/rear) wider standard alloys (8J rather than 7.5J) and wider tyres (235 rather than 225mm). More power helps above 100mph also as they were both hatchbacks they will have similar drag factors.:whew:

I've managed a 11.5s 100-200 kmh with mine stage 1 octavia, I've had a rolling race with a friends c43 and was slightly pulling on him (wasn't to pleased) 😂 I quess so much is lost through weight and 4wd system. Do you know if the intercooler will need upgrading if going to stage 2? 

5 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I went for a non-res Milltek on my previous car and the drone between 2000 and 3500 rpm was so annoying I swapped it a year later to a res system.

Not sure whether there is a drone issue on the Octavia, the estate/Combi may be more affected if there is.

This is what makes it so difficult 😂 I just want some good noise because the VRS is so quiet, the misses has an audi TT with a nice exhaust and this makes me really jealous 🤣 will the resonated bit much different? 

1 minute ago, hazzaardous said:

I've managed a 11.5s 100-200 kmh with mine stage 1 octavia, I've had a rolling race with a friends c43 and was slightly pulling on him (wasn't to pleased) 😂 I quess so much is lost through weight and 4wd system. Do you know if the intercooler will need upgrading if going to stage 2? 

I fitted an Airtec intercooler with the other stage 2 mods which keeps temps within safe limits which cost about £600. Total cost to go stage 2 including  Airtec cone filter (£300) and stage 2 remap was around £3,000. I kept the standard 340mm front and 310mm rear vented discs because they are a good set up for a 1,370kg car (same brakes on my 1,627kg Superb) but uprated the brake fluid and fitted HEL stainless brake lines.:happy:

5 minutes ago, hazzaardous said:

This is what makes it so difficult 😂 I just want some good noise because the VRS is so quiet, the misses has an audi TT with a nice exhaust and this makes me really jealous 🤣 will the resonated bit much different? 

70% OF MY COMMUTE IS ON THE MOTORWAY SO i WAS NOT PREPARED FOR A CONSTANT DRONE AT 70MPH (2,300RPM). Sorry for the bold typing I wasn't looking as I typed.:blush

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

70% OF MY COMMUTE IS ON THE MOTORWAY SO i WAS NOT PREPARED FOR A CONSTANT DRONE AT 70MPH (2,300RPM). Sorry for the bold typing I wasn't looking as I typed.:blush

That's the drawback of having a non resonated exhaust. It just spoils any normal day to day driving.

• Like 2

Just to understand some of the forces an engine has to cope with the 1.6 litre V6 24valve turbo engine in a Mercedes F1 car has to cope with temps inside the cylinders at ignition of the fuel of 2,700C (half the temperature of the surface of the Sun) and the pressure on each piston as it is forced down is the same as 4 adult elephants.:whew:

24 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just to understand some of the forces an engine has to cope with the 1.6 litre V6 24valve turbo engine in a Mercedes F1 car has to cope with temps inside the cylinders at ignition of the fuel of 2,700C (half the temperature of the surface of the Sun) and the pressure on each piston as it is forced down is the same as 4 adult elephants.:whew:

On the basis of that evidence, I'd go with Milltek then

😋😋

5 hours ago, hazzaardous said:

SWMBO threatened divorce with the non-res, changing to the res was loud enough for me but quite enough for SWMBO :thumbup:

Edited by PetrolDave

3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

SWMBO threatened divorce with the non-res, changing to the res was loud enough for me but quite enough for SWMBO :thumbup:

I can see the headlines in the local news "Divorced in Devon blames loud noise in cabin".:thinking:

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I can see the headlines in the local news "Divorced in Devon Southampton blames loud noise in cabin".:thinking:

... Corrected that for you as it was before we moved to Devon ;)

• Haha 1

Depends what you're after... If it's just a bit more noise, consider a res delete on the standard exhaust.. Makes a considerable difference and cheap to do.

If you're looking to go full on, I recommend Remus.. I've got the cat-back, non res with valve control and gives the best of both worlds!

@hazzaardous I’d recommend finding someone local with either setup and see if they are happy to take you out for a drive. If you have any meets local that’d be a good place to start.

It’s the only way to know for sure what system suits you best. Different people will have different levels of what noise they find acceptable. Consider the type of regular journey you do and who you share the car with.

The novelty of a loud system wears off pretty quickly if the car is your daily, but that is just from my own experience.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

The novelty of a loud system wears off pretty quickly if the car is your daily, but that is just from my own experience.

Exactly. In my old i20 with a non res exhaust, doing a bit of traffic light gran prix with the lads or just having a blast on your own was fine. Then taking my mum or dad somewhere gave me one hell of a headache...........from their moaning

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

@hazzaardous I’d recommend finding someone local with either setup and see if they are happy to take you out for a drive. If you have any meets local that’d be a good place to start.

It’s the only way to know for sure what system suits you best. Different people will have different levels of what noise they find acceptable. Consider the type of regular journey you do and who you share the car with.

Thankyou for the reply.

The car is my daily so I can understand where you are coming from. My only concern is that I will pay all that money for not a lot of difference. Will the resonated one still be a massive improvement  over stock? Many thanks 

1 hour ago, hazzaardous said:

Thankyou for the reply.

The car is my daily so I can understand where you are coming from. My only concern is that I will pay all that money for not a lot of difference. Will the resonated one still be a massive improvement  over stock? Many thanks 

This has always been the thing holding me back - i'm worried a non-res will make the car irritating on the commute (though having the 7sp DSG the revs are a bit lower so maybe that'd avoid the problem a bit?) - however every video i've been able to find of resonated systems from the likes of Milltek sound pretty much as flat and lifeless as the stock exhaust - not what you want to risk when dropping £1000 on a cat-back exhaust but is it just the videos not doing a good job of showing off the sound?