Superb 2lt tdi l & k are they reliable?

I really want a superb 1.9 tdi estate 08 onwards just because is anything goes wrong with the engine i can get a new no problem but they don't for sale.I am looking at a 2 lt tdi l &k fsh estate cat d it has the works but i am concerned about dpf renewal and egr valve problems that could happen its got 141000 on the clock.how reliable are these engines i am assuming its the 170 bhp cr not the 140bhp

The only real weak spot is the EGR and that's mostly due to the difficulty involved in replacing it. You can keep an eye on the DPF if you get an app called VAG DPF and a Bluetooth diagnostic adapter (the Carista one works well). From a pre-purchase point of view being able to get it scanned by someone with VAG diagnostics would be useful if you're particularly concerned about the DPF.

You don't say what year the car is, which would help judge the mileage a bit better. These engines generally prefer long distance driving over short trips around town, so high mileage shouldn't be off-putting unless it's been used as a taxi.

If it's a DSG, make sure it's had a DSG service every 40000 miles/60000 km. These gearboxes don't cope well with missed oil changes. If it's a 4x4 model, make sure the Haldex unit has also had an oil change at the same interval.

The 2.0 CR engine is a much nicer drive than the old 1.9 as well.

24 minutes ago, Joe41 said:

I am sure its a much better drive as long as everything is doing what its supposed to do.thanks for the info 

With good quality fuel and service/maintenance as required the CR lasts well. It certainly doesn't have the catastrophic problems the 1.9 has.

Personally being an owner of both a 1.9 BKC 2005 Octavia and 170 CR Superb 2011 DSG. Found the Octavia to be the most frugal and least troublesome in repairs.  I got very unlucky and had a DPF sensor, EGR and turbo go in less than 2 years ownership from 85k on the clock. For gadgets and comfort the Superb wins. For MPG and low pence per mile the Octavia wins.  We all know there was a spate of BXE engines throwing conrods through the block, no explanation. If they resolved this in later cars then all good. So you then have no DPF or expensive or difficult to locate or clean EGR I presume with a 1.9?  Despite being agricultural I prefer the torque/shove of the PD over the free reving CR. My tuppence if it’s worth anything 

22 minutes ago, Joe41 said:

Yeah thats because of that b series engines but the difference is i can replace a 1.9 tdi a hell of a lot cheaper than a 2lt tdi 

My point is that the CR doesn't suffer engine killing failures like the 1.9 is known for. The EGR replacement is a straightforward enough job, just time-consuming because of what has to be removed to get to it.

11 minutes ago, gav_is_con said:

Personally being an owner of both a 1.9 BKC 2005 Octavia and 170 CR Superb 2011 DSG. Found the Octavia to be the most frugal and least troublesome in repairs.  I got very unlucky and had a DPF sensor, EGR and turbo go in less than 2 years ownership from 85k on the clock. For gadgets and comfort the Superb wins. For MPG and low pence per mile the Octavia wins.  We all know there was a spate of BXE engines throwing conrods through the block, no explanation. If they resolved this in later cars then all good. So you then have no DPF or expensive or difficult to locate or clean EGR I presume with a 1.9?  Despite being agricultural I prefer the torque/shove of the PD over the free reving CR. My tuppence if it’s worth anything 

The 1.9 on the Superb has a DPF too and it's a much more troublesome setup because the 1.9 was never designed with a DPF in mind and it was basically tacked on later to keep the engine on the market for another few years. The DPF on the 1.9 is a bit too far down the exhaust from the engine and tends to get cold easily which reduces its efficiency quite a bit.

1 minute ago, chimaera said:

My point is that the CR doesn't suffer engine killing failures like the 1.9 is known for. The EGR replacement is a straightforward enough job, just time-consuming because of what has to be removed to get to it.

The 1.9 on the Superb has a DPF too and it's a much more troublesome setup because the 1.9 was never designed with a DPF in mind and it was basically tacked on later to keep the engine on the market for another few years. The DPF on the 1.9 is a bit too far down the exhaust from the engine and tends to get cold easily which reduces its efficiency quite a bit.

I stand corrected, I forgot they bolted a DPF onto cars particularly the end of the PD run before switchover to CR. I thought it was onto 2lt variants rather than 1.9 models which got away with it?

EGR wise the cost is quite crippling £600 odd because of labour vs I don’t know what on a 1.9. GenuinePart is about £200 if you can’t clean it, right?

Let’s not forget dieselgate and emissions fix effects some cars negatively. 

Just now, gav_is_con said:

I stand corrected, I forgot they bolted a DPF onto cars particularly the end of the PD run before switchover to CR. I thought it was onto 2lt variants rather than 1.9 models which got away with it?

EGR wise the cost is quite crippling £600 odd because of labour vs I don’t know what on a 1.9. GenuinePart is about £200 if you can’t clean it, right?

Let’s not forget dieselgate and emissions fix effects some cars negatively. 

Depends on the labour rate of the person doing the job. It's about 4-6 hours IIRC.

I've bought Superb 2 estate 170bhp 2013 with 147000 miles and full service history. I've seen cars with half of the mileage in worst condition. Only thing that needs doing was front brakes, but previous owner told me about it and droped price by 100quid, so can't complain :)

3 hours ago, chimaera said:

The only one had a dpf was the green line model which i think was pointless.

Egr valve is a bit fiddly to do but is quite straight forward, just need a good selection of gear to do the job. Removing the drive shaft makes it a lot easier 

some pics of job

C55543F5-3E26-4CA8-B9E7-0694449CFA3E.jpeg

C4B6CA27-4264-45EF-8A53-47261B65D0EE.jpeg

EFCA9D7C-480F-4A80-A5F4-5E115408FB9D.jpeg

644E7B19-EEAF-4AB7-BB63-078D523F43B4.jpeg

53D72D66-A44E-403C-9505-05E47AA1280E.jpeg

EE59CCB8-6802-4077-A99A-A060332C2EEB.jpeg

Edited by Snapper1725
  • Thanks 1

Great pics thanks.....however that gives me 'the fear'....!!  I'm quite mechanically minded but I think I would leave that one to the experts, looks like major surgery.

I have the 4x4 version and I believe it is even worse of a job due to space restrictions.

Hope I don't need to worry about it for a long time yet..!  

I should say my CR140 is running fix file 9978, no issues thus far.

Cheers Dave

• 1 month later...

I have the L&K 4X4 TDI DSG, had it 4 years now, only problem DPF light came on once, took it for 10 minute drive light went out. Now only use Shell Diesel not had a problem since. Love the car!