DMF and Clutch Cost

Hi all, 

I have a 2010 170bhp diesel Superb, done 150k.

Vibrating on tickover with a rattling sound coming from gearbox side. Noise tends to go away with clutch depressed. 

Car seems to drive OK still just really rumbly at tickover. 

Two garages had a very quick listen and both suggested DMF. 

Any fool proof way of telling if it's DMF before I bite the bullet? 

Likely cost of doing DMF and Clutch? 

Cheers 

Fool proof way of DMF  diagnosis is to strip it down. You have had two garages diagnose DMF and your described symptoms suggest DMF. Get a few quotes and ensure it includes a full clutch kit Inc concentric slave cylinder (another known fail item inside bell housing). Not sure you'll get much change out of £1k

Just tried car again, it's cold, not driven all day. 

At tickover, from 800-1000 rpm definate rattle from engine but with clutch pressed noise stops. 

It’s the DMF. End of. £750 for that work is reasonable. I paid £960 in late 2019 for exactly those three, but it was the slave cylinder which leaked that meant they had to be replaced. However, the DMF had been clattering away and was especially noticeable when changing from 1st to 2nd as I de-clutched and it was quite “grabby” for a long time. Once it was replaced, it was like a completely different vehicle. 

On 02/06/2020 at 02:23, numskull said:

It’s the DMF. End of.

Be careful, @DEL80Y offers great advice, I too was preparing to replace the DMF thinking it was getting noisy, when the garage dropped the gearbox I was a few hundred miles from the pressure plate boring it's way through the bell housing.

It very nearly was "end of" but not due to the DMF.

Yeah, could be the clutch plate but as the gearbox has to come out to replace both, it’s academic. If the DMF is “OK”, and I’d be doubtful after 150k, then it’s just the clutch that needs replaced. Personally, I’d do both - belt ‘n’ braces. 

Just a quick update

Got DMF and Clutch done, LUK parts for  £600. 

Found out my neighbour worked in garage and was happy to do it in his spare time. 

No more rattles and nice light smooth clutch. 

Hopefully that'll be me for a while after just the other month shelling out for 2 new rear calipers, discs, pads and 1 hub as garage managed to bugger Abs speed sensor! 

• Like 2