upgrade to stock radio

I have a 14 plate mk2 fabia SE TDI CR 90 estate. I am looking at changing the stock radio for something that has sat nav and bluetooth so I can use my mobile when driving. Also I am hoping to add reversing sensors and a reversing camera, is there a unit which will allow this?

Would I need to go with a genuine Skoda item or are aftermarket ones ok? Is it best to buy a a unit which comes with reversing sensors and a camera or can they be connected later? 

Any suggestions of what and where to buy would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance for your help

I asked this a few months ago, and we turned up a decent looking Skoda lookalikey Android unit here

In general Android units themselves seem like a bit of a lottery.  I contacted the seller referred to in the above post and he said that he has them made up in China to his spec and tested, so they're not cheap and nasty and actually work like they're supposed to.  Some of the other ones on eBay are okay, some are dreadful.  I'm taking delivery of a 61 reg Fabia Monte Carlo with a Skoda lookalikey Android head unit in it this week, so I'll have a play with that, see what it's like.  It seemed a bit naff when I looked at the car and tested it, but I did only have a short play around with it at the time.

On 05/06/2020 at 23:46, littlejimmy said:

I have a 14 plate mk2 fabia SE TDI CR 90 estate. I am looking at changing the stock radio for something that has sat nav and bluetooth so I can use my mobile when driving. Also I am hoping to add reversing sensors and a reversing camera, is there a unit which will allow this?

Would I need to go with a genuine Skoda item or are aftermarket ones ok? Is it best to buy a a unit which comes with reversing sensors and a camera or can they be connected later? 

Any suggestions of what and where to buy would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance for your help

I recently did this on ours. I replaced the stock Swing unit with a Bluetooth-enabled Amundsen Plus (RNS-315). They're easy to find used on eBay. Fitting the unit itself is a straight swap, but you'll need to buy a microphone and run the cable down to the back of the HU, and depending on how good you want GPS signal to be you can leave the GPS antenna sitting at the back of the mounting slot.

For ours, I bought the OE type microphone which installs into a slot in the dome light above the windscreen and ran the cable across to the driver's side and down inside the A-pillar trim. I also stuck the GPS antenna onto the windscreen above the rear-view mirror. In doing this, I took the opportunity to tidy up and hide the dashcam cables. I ended up with all three wires run inside the A-pillar and in under the dash from there. I took a bunch of pictures which I'll grab from the phone sometime soon and put up a howto.

Edited by chimaera

I went for the rns315 second hand for £100  and is all plug and play, Only thing I had to buy was the unlock code & the  microphone as said above, Screens smaller than I would like, maps work but you cant update to latest firmware ….Apart from that it works a treat.

Just now, littlejimmy said:

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have a look at what's been suggested. Will any reversing sensors and reversing camera connect or do you need special connections?

Should all connect as normal..... My sensors are the from factory however they are the annoying ones with the red led and speaker above the rear seats, They still work fine.