Fuel Consumption Memory Reset

snowglowjoe

I'm more than a little puzzled here. My Karoq now seems to reset the fuel consumption details each time the car ignition is switched off. I realise that 'consumption since start' will reset on each trip, but surely 'long term' and 'since refuel should not, based on the parameters stated in the manual?

I'm purposely keeping my hands as far away from the '00/set' button as possible, in case it's me causing the problem with my banana fingers, but I'm convinced it's not that?

Any suggestions ....?

fuel consumption.jpg

I assume you are using the wheel to get to the average consumption <Since start>.  Are you saying that pressing the wheel does not change it to <Since refuel> and <Long term>?

tom

Morning Sanqhar,

Apologies for my explanation - pressing the wheel does change it to 'since refuel', 'long term' or 'since start'. However, basically all these selections produce identical readings. It seems that after every restart, the memory on all 3 settings of fuel consumption is wiped. I don't know if I've inadvertantly altered something within the settings of the car, but I don't where or how that has happened?I hope that makes more sense now

I do not know of anyway those settings could be reset unless you tell the car to do so. Even if you did hit the physical reset button, you have to press it for a few secs.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to do a factory reset on the infotainment system - perhaps the software has it's knickers in a twist.  How old is the car? Has the avg mpg readings ever worked?

Yes Scot it was working ok until recently. Car was 12 months old in March. When you mention hitting the physical reset button, could you confirm how and where that is carried out? Just want to make sure I'm not doing that accidentally. I'll hang fire on the factory reset for a while, until I can establish that I am not causing the problem

Apologies, I was thinking resetting the odometer also reset the fuel averages but I was wrong.  If you don't reset the fuel consumption via the infotainment system then unless the battery has been disconnected I can think of no way those figures can reset each time you get in the car.

Nothing else is resetting like radio stations or clock?

As I say, I'd factory reset the infotainment system to make sure there's no gremlins at work.

2 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Apologies, I was thinking resetting the odometer also reset the fuel averages but I was wrong.  If you don't reset the fuel consumption via the infotainment system then unless the battery has been disconnected I can think of no way those figures can reset each time you get in the car.

Nothing else is resetting like radio stations or clock?

As I say, I'd factory reset the infotainment system to make sure there's no gremlins at work.

Thanks for the reply Scot, they were my thoughts originally, that resetting the odometer also reset fuel averages. Battery ok and never disconnected, radio stations and clock are spot on. It is a strange one, I must say. Can understand why 'since start' average resets, but not the other two, long term and since refuel?

I think you are right about the factory reset, which I have not done as yet. Will that action reset everything in infotainment, phone contacts, radio station logos and favourite stations?

Edited by snowglowjoe
typo

2 hours ago, snowglowjoe said:

Will that action reset everything in infotainment, phone contacts, radio station logos and favourite stations?

Perhaps someone else can answer as I can't remember ( I reset the system on my SEAT once but that was years ago ).  I do know that I'd updated software + maps and when I reset the system, the updates were unaffected. My phone contacts are on my phone so are downloaded everytime the system connects.

I can't even take an educated guess re: station logos. If you were to twist my arm for an answer I'd have said they'd disappear.

Same with favorite stations although, can't be 100% sure but that's something I would expect to loose.

If nobody else replies here, have a look on the Octavia III thread for someone called SashaGrace - drop her a PM, shes' probably the best qualified to answer your question.

Scot5, Took your advice yesterday and carried out a factory reset of infotainment system. During the course of the day, I did  2 separate journeys in the car and the fuel consumption figures all reset themselves again as before - 'since start', 'since refuel' and 'long term' producing identical readings, suggesting that the memory was wiped after each journey. The radio stations, favourites  and logos etc. all remained intact. Just checked again this morning with a little tootle about and consumption figures have all reset again. I'm at a loss now, with what to do next?

Personally as it looks like you are still under warranty I would log a call with Skoda via the web site chat and raise it with them and their technical team. Certainly does not sound good. Maybe take a video / photos as evidence?

This is baffling...

There are only two reasons I can think of:

1) Is the car being used enough to keep the battery fully charged? Or could the voltage be dropping enough for it to wipe the memories??

2) The memories can be reset by holding in the knurled rotating thingy on the right of the steering wheel. Is this permanently depressed for some reason? (If not perhaps there's a fault in the contacts behind it??

Chris

1 minute ago, CJJE said:

This is baffling...

There are only two reasons I can think of:

1) Is the car being used enough to keep the battery fully charged? Or could the voltage be dropping enough for it to wipe the memories??

2) The memories can be reset by holding in the knurled rotating thingy on the right of the steering wheel. Is this permanently depressed for some reason? (If not perhaps there's a fault in the contacts behind it??

Chris

I agree, baffling! Battery is ok CJJE, have 12v plug-in battery/ temp device, which I use when needed. Also start/stop system works, which seems to confirm battery is ok? Have tried knurled wheel and it seems free, but cannot dismiss the contacts behind it being faulty. May be making a dealer phone call tomorrow.....

I have the same issue on my sportline (2019) - I've got over 5000 miles on it, but long term fuel consumption is showing only between 1-2.000miles (and not the full mileage car has done)

On 18/06/2020 at 18:19, snowglowjoe said:

I'm more than a little puzzled here. My Karoq now seems to reset the fuel consumption details each time the car ignition is switched off. I realise that 'consumption since start' will reset on each trip, but surely 'long term' and 'since refuel should not, based on the parameters stated in the manual?

I'm purposely keeping my hands as far away from the '00/set' button as possible, in case it's me causing the problem with my banana fingers, but I'm convinced it's not that?

Any suggestions ....?

fuel consumption.jpg

After many attempts to cure this problem - individual resets of each of the 3 displays, factory resets of all of the fuel consumption displays, I contacted my dealer and booked a repair.

Early evening on Monday, I decided to refuel the car. Forecourt was reasonably empty, so immediately after refuel, before pulling away, I decided to reset the 'long term' fuel consumption figure that had been created since leaving home. After several trips (and restarts) since then, the fuel consumption figures have worked perfectly and the memory on 'long term' and 'since refuel' have remained intact. Based on all the reset combinations I have carried out since the problem began, the only difference is the fact that I have refilled the fuel tank. Cannot understand the logic, but just pleased that a niggle that was driving me crazy has been resolved