Reasonable collision repair cost?

Hi,

We were unfortunately involved in our first accident a few days ago, rear ended at a roundabout. No fault of ours. My 2016 Fabia Mk3 SE TSI has been assessed at the accident repair workshop and they have initially given me a HIDEOUS repair estimate of £5200!! 🤮. Now the guy is going to 'sense check' the cost of parts with Skoda Edinburgh but this sounds absolutely ridiculous and just heading towards a total loss 😥.

Does anybody have any advice on this and whether the costs should be anywhere near this! ? Pics below of the damage. They've included a new alloy as cannot be sure of its integrity apparently. All parts are to be replaced completely I think including bumper, boot and right wing.

I love my wee Skoda and don't really want to lose it. This model can be difficult to find these days!

Thanks.

2020-06-18_18.45.10.jpg

IMG_20200616_085047.jpg

• Sad 1

...Had similar looking nearside damage on a MK2 Fab around two years ago... I think the damage would have written off my car then, had it been known to cost £5K! That said, they had to replace the rear axle as it was damaged and I recon that was only spotted mid-way through the job. There was less damage to the rear hatch which to this day I don't know if they swapped or repaired. it had clean paintwork, though. The third party insurance paid for everything, including a hire car which costs them around £60 a day, for a dual control vehicle so they want to be efficient when it comes to repairing, once they start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jars said:

It won’t be all that far off IMO. 

This damage cost about the same as that .... 

FE797022-EDBF-4B53-A5FA-7EA3929170B3.jpeg

3FE154C2-C5A5-456A-849E-259E34837566.jpeg

Did the repair work include anything other than bodywork, lights and a wheel for yours? Presumably as a nearly new vehicle £5k would have been classed as an 'economical repair' though. Cheers

1 hour ago, mrgf said:

...Had similar looking nearside damage on a MK2 Fab around two years ago... I think the damage would have written off my car then, had it been known to cost £5K! That said, they had to replace the rear axle as it was damaged and I recon that was only spotted mid-way through the job. There was less damage to the rear hatch which to this day I don't know if they swapped or repaired. it had clean paintwork, though. The third party insurance paid for everything, including a hire car which costs them around £60 a day, for a dual control vehicle so they want to be efficient when it comes to repairing, once they start.

The 3rd party has been hastling me from the start but my assumption is so they can keep their costs down. I've already got a replacement hire and the damaged vehicle has been taken to my insurance company's 'preferred' accident repair place. It just seems an astronomical amount when there is no engine, axles, electrics (other than light cluster) etc that are damaged to my knowledge. The accident repair guy sounded surprised at the cost hence the Skoda Edinburgh sense check but I'm not sure what incentive they have to keep costs down and do the repair. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, jars said:

Yup, lights and wheels were included, but it got written off in the end. This model of MG is cheap brand new, which is was.

If your MG got written off then mine doesn't stand a chance as I can replace it for about £7k!

21 minutes ago, mikear82 said:

If your MG got written off then mine doesn't stand a chance as I can replace it for about £7k!

My old dear’s car had 2k on the clock and was also worth about £7k. 

The biggy is the rear quarter panel (wheelarch / wing). Front wings simply bolt on. Rear quarters are part of the shell so need a lot of time (labour) to replace if it needs it.

Sounds about right to me: hiddeously expensive, but about right.

I had a motorbike hit the front offside of mine that needed a new o/s wing, front diffuser and mounting brackets - so fairly simple compared to your damage. It cost £2,200 including 7 day car loan, collection and delivery. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also got rear ended about 5 months ago.  I dont know what the exact cost was, but mine is a Monte and that rear valance isn't cheap.  I think they probably spent about £4k repairing it with 2 weeks labor, new rear bumper, wheel arch trim, parking sensors, crash bar, pulling out the floor, respray, etc.  I was lucky enough to not have any significant chassis damage.  Looking at the pictures though, you'll also need a new light cluster, possibly a new rear hatch and window, and pulling out the rear section will probably take some time and skill.  Not to mention the paint prep and respray.

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I really appreciate everybody's feedback on my original post, and I've come back for an update and to ask another question.  Amazingly, my insurer accepted the repair cost, and 5 weeks (yeah!) later I had my car back.  There was one immediate issue in that the rear windscreen was replaced with un-tinted glass when the original was tinted.  You can imagine it looks pretty stupid now with tinted rear passenger windows!:angry:  Unfortunately, rather than telling them to shove it and fix it properly before accepting the repair I agreed to take the vehicle away and return it at a later stage to get it replaced...school boy error.  Now 9 weeks later I still haven't had my rear windscreen replaced.  They have been dragging their feet the entire time and then tried to say I got factory tints fitted after I bought it, which is absolute b*****ks. 

Anyway, I think I got my message across but they keep saying that they are chasing the parts supplier which makes me suspicious.  Is it not pretty easy to find the correct part from Skoda and just order it or am I missing something here?  I know that a glass company would fit it but surely there wouldn't be a problem sourcing the windscreen itself?  Does anybody know where I could find the part no. for such a thing?

Many thanks,

Mike

p.s - here is the before and after:

2020-09-22_21.08.55.jpg

Try using this parts listing:- https://ifinterface.com         

Once you are on that site,  click o the "welcome" area, followed by "free services" followed by "CarProg2"  then select Skoda from the VW Group marques listed, then Fabia then date of manufacture then select body and eventually you will find the rear hatch and the part number you need.

It is not rear hatch that you need to look for within the body  which is section 8, but  the "glasses and seats" section within section 8, ie 845-000, you can move to that area directly by navigating via the top line.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Once you are on that site,  click o the "welcome" area, followed by "free services" followed by "CarProg2"  then select Skoda from the VW Group marques listed, then Fabia then date of manufacture then select body and eventually you will find the rear hatch and the part number you need.

It is not rear hatch that you need to look for within the body  which is section 8, but  the "glasses and seats" section within section 8, ie 845-000, you can move to that area directly by navigating via the top line.

Brilliant - thank you so much  .... Bookmarked  😉

2 minutes ago, CB_4x4 said:

Brilliant - thank you so much  .... Bookmarked  😉

Its a strange website to get onto, initially I saved its complete address on a MS laptop with Win7 then Win10, then they changed something so I could not get back onto to, but I also had an iPad and so used that for this website, then they changed something and/or Apple did and I lost being able to get onto it, some weeks later after another MS update, I tried again on my Win10 laptop, and got onto that site easily again, then something changed again and I could not use my latest saved link, so now I select that old link,  then remove the details after the  "/" and I'm back in again. That website does seem to be kept up to date very well, which helps when phoning any dealership or CCP for parts.

9 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Its a strange website to get onto, initially I saved its complete address on a MS laptop with Win7 then Win10, then they changed something so I could not get back onto to, but I also had an iPad and so used that for this website, then they changed something and/or Apple did and I lost being able to get onto it, some weeks later after another MS update, I tried again on my Win10 laptop, and got onto that site easily again, then something changed again and I could not use my latest saved link, so now I select that old link,  then remove the details after the  "/" and I'm back in again. That website does seem to be kept up to date very well, which helps when phoning any dealership or CCP for parts.

ah, yes I had to 'find' the top menu ... as you say remove bits back to https://ifinterface.com 

On 22/09/2020 at 22:36, rum4mo said:

Thanks also buddy! :thumbup:

After a few emails back and forth to the repair shop the guy mentioned Skoda ETKA, which with a google search brings up a number of catalogues much the same as the above.  They must all feed from the same or similar source surely!

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/

They've wittled it down to two part numbers apparently.  Any ideas what the differences are with the below descriptions?  I guess I would need to know what "not pretreated" means, what the 8L and 8Z codes mean and the difference between 4KC and 4KF.

6V6 845 049 A heated rear window tinted 1 PR-K8G+4KC+
8ZG,8L3,
6V6845049A NVB not pretreated     2008.14...
6V6 845 049 B heated rear window tinted 1 PR-K8G+4KF+
8ZG,8L3,
6V6845049B NVB not pretreated     2008.14...
6V6 845 049 D heated rear window tinted 1 PR-K8G+4KC+
8L5,8L6
6V6845049D NVB not pretreated     2008.14...
6V6 845 049 E heated rear window tinted 1 PR-K8G+4KF+
8L5,8L6
6V6845049E NVB not pretreated     2008.14...

image.png

Sorry I can't help with Skoda PR codes, or the "not pretreated", but the "not pretreated" bit sounds a lot like being to do with the area that the bonding glue contacts.

As you say, all these online parts listing will be "borrowed" from the VW Group Ekta resource, some are updated to include newer models quicker than others and some come with higher risk of naughty extras.

PR Codes are listed below.  Whether you can work out what they actually mean is another matter.  Best option is to compare them with the sticker on the boot floor (if you have one) or with the Vehicle Data listed for your VIN on Skoda erWin.

4KC Side and rear windows in heat-insulating glass
4KF Side windows in heat-insulating glass, from B-pillar and rear window dark tinted
8L3 Roof antenna
8L5 Roof antenna and "diversity" window antenna
8L6 "diversity" window antenna
8ZG Antenna for AM/FM reception
K8G

Hatchback    

I don't know about Skodas, but Audi and VW and SEAT are quite a bit "light" on what they include on these "build data" stickers, you can get more info on "CAR DATA" printout from a dealership, but even that does not and probably can not cover every area of the car.

6 hours ago, GaryL said:

PR Codes are listed below.  Whether you can work out what they actually mean is another matter.  Best option is to compare them with the sticker on the boot floor (if you have one) or with the Vehicle Data listed for your VIN on Skoda erWin.

4KC Side and rear windows in heat-insulating glass
4KF Side windows in heat-insulating glass, from B-pillar and rear window dark tinted
8L3 Roof antenna
8L5 Roof antenna and "diversity" window antenna
8L6 "diversity" window antenna
8ZG Antenna for AM/FM reception
K8G

Hatchback    

Thanks Gary.  I managed to find a link somewhere else on Briskoda  taking me to a page that 'decodes' these and they confirm what you found above :thumbup:.  It's http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx if anyone is interested.  Not updated since 2013 though!  Much like what rum4mo said my boot sticker is seriously devoid of codes, certainly none of these above are present.  Nothing in any of the handbooks either.

My money is on one of these two as my car has a roof antenna and pretty sure has a "diversity" window antenna (8L5) due to the vertical lines in the old rear windscreen.  The 4KF code confirms the privacy glass from the B-pillar backwards including the rear windscreen.  This link to somebody selling the 6V6 845 049E part number is the closest online I've seen to what I need.  I've contacted Skoda CZ but they are insisting only on giving me information using my VIN if I want to make a complaint!!

6V6 845 049 E heated rear window tinted 1 PR-K8G+4KF+
8L5,8L6
6V6845049E NVB not pretreated     2008.14..

By the way, is Skoda erWin guaranteed to have the information I need?  I'd gladly pay £7 if it did!

I don't the folk at the repair shop are trying very hard, they must have access to all sorts of systems for this kind of work.

I'd not convinced that erWin will answer all your questions, why not go into your nearest Skoda dealer's parts dept and ask for prices for both these part numbers and a quick "what is the difference?" question, that should fix things.

15 hours ago, mikear82 said:

By the way, is Skoda erWin guaranteed to have the information I need?  I'd gladly pay £7 if it did!

I don't the folk at the repair shop are trying very hard, they must have access to all sorts of systems for this kind of work.

Can't guarantee it, but the erWin PDF of Vehicle Data generally contains many more PR codes than would fit on the old sticker.  The PDF for my wife's MY14 Fabia II runs to 8 A4 pages, most of which consists of one line per PR code with descriptions as per those I posted.  I doubt that it will solve the pre-treated or non pre-treated question though.  I have seen a suggestion elsewhere that this refers to a water-beading surface treatment (like RainX) but I've seen no official explanation.