Yeti Bonnet catch release

Wiganyeti

With a previous car I had, opening the bonnet was a 2 man job, too much tension on the catch. 1 had to press down on the bonnet and 1 pulled the release handle 😄.

1 hour ago, freedie said:

Solution is lots of grease, and not just of the elbow variety...

How do you do that with the bonnet closed?

• Sad 1

Precisely, not the solution the OP is looking for but something to prevent it recurring.

7 hours ago, Urrell said:

Is there any resistance on the cable?

Does the external bonnet catch have a cable? I'm thinking the OP is referring to the catch that you access when the bonnet has popped up?

• Like 2

I suppose it depends if the interior release has worked. It’s just a case of lifting the lever In the middle then bonnet. I can’t see how that would be stuck

I’m not sure exactly what the OP is struggling with but the secondary catch is essential. I saw a small van today slowing to a halt with the bonnet flat against the windscreen, how does that happen - so dangerous.

Perhaps ask someone else to assist and operate the latch a few time to see if it works loose.

image.jpeg

If it is a problem with the secondary latch it should be possible to lift the bonnet to the catch and get something like a long screwdriver to push the catch across at the bottom of the hook.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your suggestions, just to clarify I have tried locking and releasing the catch that is inside the car passenger side a few times and the bonnet lifts up about 1/2 inch

and locks  down fine when pushing the bonnet down.

When trying to release the catch as shown  above the arrow  in the diagram 2, there is no movement in the lever.

The lever will not move easily when the bonnet is at its widest (narrow) opening, if you follow my drift. Push it down slightly to better pull the lever. Good luck.

Hi All

Good news, bonnet open after about 15 minutes of trying.  Not quite sure what solved the problem.  After opening the internal bonnet release half a dozen times & closing the bonnet, it appeared that there was more movement in the external bonnet release lever.  I continued to manipulate the lever under the bonnet, each time gaining slightly more movement  which enabled me to open the bonnet.  The problem appeared to be there is only just enough travel of the bonnet catch to free the retaining hook.  I greased up the mechanism hopefully preventing the same problem in the future.  I hope this makes sense.  Thanks to all concerned.

• Like 4