1.5TSi - feedback on firmware update

So ... I had the firmware updated a month or so ago. I've only just started driving it again after being furloughed but it feels a lot smoother.

I've not noticed anything detrimental so far and the MPG doesn't seem to have been affected. Fingers crossed. I've done maybe 600-700 miles now and no issues. Still a little jerky when cold but nowhere near as bad.

Oh and on the way home from work today ......

Good_Mileage.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BBDom said:

So ... I had the firmware updated a month or so ago. I've only just started driving it again after being furloughed but it feels a lot smoother.

I've not noticed anything detrimental so far and the MPG doesn't seem to have been affected. Fingers crossed. I've done maybe 600-700 miles now and no issues. Still a little jerky when cold but nowhere near as bad.

Oh and on the way home from work today ......

Good_Mileage.jpg

That's the better aero on the Octavia compared to my wife's Karoq SEL 1.5TSi manual with my best of 66mpg after 25,500 miles so far.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Mine is same. Less jerking and kangarooing but not by much, cold and hot. It's a bit crap really, never had a car that needed the concentration of a brain surgeon to drive smoothly in traffic.  It feels like the flywheel is the wrong size and weight for the engine. After 6 Skoda's, all of which have been problematic in one way or another, it'll be time to say goodbye at the end of this company car lease. The 13 year old Toyota on my driveway that has had 2 faults from new is leading me towards a Corolla estate/Tourer (whatever it is called). I don't like it as much as the Octavia but at least it should work properly.

• Like 2

If you are comparing other cars.  My previous 1.9pd 2003 Skoda Superb mk I which I owned for 10 years is still going strong now under new ownership (original battery, clutch, exhaust ) and its replacement a 1.4tsi 2014 Superb mk II, as yet faultless at 86k miles. Other than servicing the only thing replaced has been the front brakes. Likewise my sons 2016 1.2tsi Octavia has been faultless this far.

I've been following the 1.5tsi issues with interest as I originally wanted this engine in a car as my 1.4tsi has been fab - I'm not so sure at the moment. I've noticed the recent Audi A4 went straight from the 1.4tsi to a lower powered version of the 2.0 engine and not the 1.5.

Until I'm happy the 1.5tsi is fully sorted I'll stick with the 1.4tsi Superb - surprisingly nippy and despite the small engine it's a fab long distance cruiser. It's had numerous cross Europe trips - er possibly not this year though!!

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

I'm amazed at your fuel consumption figures, you must drive really, really carefully! I'm down to something between 40 and 50mpg on a 20 minute mainly country roads commute to and from work since my car had the fix. It used to regularly get into the mid 50's mpg on the way to work but that isn't possible any more given the drop in fuel economy that the car has suffered.

12 hours ago, bigjohn said:

1: Until I'm happy the 1.5tsi is fully sorted...

2: I've noticed the recent Audi A4 went straight from the 1.4tsi to a lower powered version of the 2.0 engine and not the 1.5.

There are no reports of this issue on new 1.5's so I take it you'd be buying a used one that's over a year old?  I don't get why people ignore the hundreds of thousands if not millions of 1.5 VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat owners who are happy with the fix and concentrate on the handful who say they still have a problem?  And I don't much get this continued negativity. All people have to do to alleviate their fears is test drive a 1.5 at the dealership rather than test drive it on a computer forum.

You also mention A4 going from 1.4 to 2.0 but ignore all other Audi's that have gone from 1.4 to 1.5? Is the implication that they did this because the 1.5 is proving problematic?  I'd suggest the reason Audi went to the 2.0 with similar power to the 1.5 is to compete with the 3 series who similarly no longer supply anything less than 2L.  I'd guess it'll be to do with the greater torque range the larger engine produces which is more suited to cars in this class.   

I have a 1.5 TSI and it has no power delivery difficulties whatsoever .

My French neighbour who has an impressive array of cars had occasion to borrow it a couple of weeks ago and quite unprompted described it as impeccable .

Try one on a test drive rather than taking as gospel the opinions of others .

Regards

On 09/07/2020 at 22:27, bigjohn said:

If you are comparing other cars.  My previous 1.9pd 2003 Skoda Superb mk I which I owned for 10 years is still going strong now under new ownership (original battery, clutch, exhaust ) and its replacement a 1.4tsi 2014 Superb mk II, as yet faultless at 86k miles. Other than servicing the only thing replaced has been the front brakes. Likewise my sons 2016 1.2tsi Octavia has been faultless this far.

I've been following the 1.5tsi issues with interest as I originally wanted this engine in a car as my 1.4tsi has been fab - I'm not so sure at the moment. I've noticed the recent Audi A4 went straight from the 1.4tsi to a lower powered version of the 2.0 engine and not the 1.5.

Until I'm happy the 1.5tsi is fully sorted I'll stick with the 1.4tsi Superb - surprisingly nippy and despite the small engine it's a fab long distance cruiser. It's had numerous cross Europe trips - er possibly not this year though!!

On 09/07/2020 at 22:27, bigjohn said:

I'm not comparing other cars in terms of mileages they can achieve or what maintenance they need once they work properly - they can all do good service provided they are good in the first place, I'm talking about cars delivered with faults. Specifically 1) the current 1.5TSi that drives like crap, worst car I have ever driven. As the 'fix' doesn't properly resolve it they should be recalled as defective and replaced. 2) a previous Octavia (2013) 3 that had to be taken back by Skoda after it was rejected by my company as unsafe because Driver Assist kept performing emergency stops for no reason, the most memorable of which were one which almost caused a skip truck to rear end it with my children in the back of it - on a wide empty road with no vehicles, debris, nothing in front of the car, and another where a client was being driven along another completely empty road at 7am on a Saturday. Another Octavia 3 with a panoramic sunroof that opened 3 times before motor failure, then spent another 7 visits to dealers over 2 years trying to stop it banging, crunching and seizing, which they never did so after that 2 years of wasted visits it was left closed for the remaining 2 that I had it. Oh, and last but not least there was the Fabia delivered with a faulty ABS control unit and a (manual) gearbox that wouldn't engage 2nd once warmed up. People don't have time for this rubbish, as much as it upsets people on this forum who are oddly emotionally invested with their inanimate object cars.

I have owned my 1.5TSI since new ( Oct 2019 ) and never experienced any problems with jerkiness or stalling or any of the other power delivery issues described by others .

I consider it to be an excellent car with good fuel consumption and an adequate turn of speed.

It most certainly does not " drive like crap " and is not " the worst car I have ever driven "

Regards

On 17. 07. 2020. at 23:08, Llwyngwernog said:

Ja sam svoj 1.5TSI posjedovao od novog (listopad 2019.) i nikad nisam imao problema sa grčevitošću ili zastojem ili bilo kojim drugim problemom isporuke električne energije koji su opisali drugi.

Smatram da je to odličan automobil s dobrom potrošnjom goriva i odgovarajućim okretnim brzinama.

To zasigurno ne "vozi poput sranja" i nije "najgori automobil koji sam ikad vozio"

Pozdrav

Is your engine code Dpca or Dada?

Is it manual or DSG?

Which is software version of your ECU?

I own car with 1.5 tsi 110kw 2020 year.
I have a „kangaroo“ problem with my 1.5 tsi since first day when engine is cold. It durings about 2 minutes after engin start every day. My engine is MY20 and engine code is DPCA. Software version is 9596. 
I also notice big vibrations during 2-cylinders mod between 1400-1600 rpm. Turbo lag is present also.

Is there someone with MY20 car and similar problems?

Just had our Arona done.  Its a different car to how it was when we got it.  Had to either drive in sport or eco as the throttle mapping was different.  Normal was so bad.  Now the car feels as it should have been.  I'll be interested what the economy is like after the fix.

2 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Upravo je to učinila naša Arona. Drugačiji je automobil od onoga kako je bilo kad smo ga dobili. Morao se voziti u sportu ili ekologiji jer je prikazivanje karte leptira bilo drugačije. Normalno je bilo tako loše. Sad se automobil osjeća kao što je trebao biti. Mene će zanimati kakva je ekonomija nakon popravka.

My car is MY20 and there is no software update for it...

16 minutes ago, golfhp said:

My car is MY20 and there is no software update for it...

I imagine there will be a fix along at some point for the later versions if they are proven to be an issue still.

1 minute ago, golfhp said:

What mean " '68 " ?

The plates in Uk are on date, so 68 means it was made roughly halfway through 2018. It was registered in October so falls into this bracket. :) 

Ploče u Velikoj Britaniji su na datumu, pa 68 znači da su napravljene otprilike na polovici 2018. godine. Registrirani su u listopadu, tako da spadaju u ovaj nosač. :) 

Ok. 

I'm from Croatia.

We have something same KW (kalender week).

Edited by golfhp
  • Like 1

We've got a new Golf 1.5 TSI DSG R line on order at the moment so will be interesting to see how it compares to the Octy (if it ever turns up !)

• Like 1