New tyre recommendations please!

judith_sw

I’ll need to change the tyres on our Karoq 2.0l  TDi SEL 4x4 in the next month or two, probably all four. It came with Bridgestone Turanza T001s (225 50 R18) which have been fine. I’d consider getting these again but am interested in any recommendations for others. Probably summer tyres but would consider All Season too for where we live. Thank you :)

Just replace two of mine went with the same Bridgestone they were £128 each fitted with an AA membership card from National tyres 

Edited by patrolman
  • Like 1

My wife's 190 TDI SE L came on those same Bridgestones.  However, I changed them over for the winter and fitted 17' wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport D5 which are great tyres.

I bought a Yeti earlier this year and fitted it with Michelin CrossClimate+.  If you're going to fit All Seasons, I think it'd be hard to find anything better than those. 

As ever, YMMV.  

• Like 1

I believe that the CrossClimates only come in the SUV version for that tyre size, and I think they’re pretty expensive. 
Our Karoq is the non-4x4 version, which has 215 tyres rather than 225. There weren’t any CrossClimates available at all in that size when I was looking for all season tyres last autumn. So I went with Vredestein Quatrac Pro all-season tyres instead. We haven’t had any snowy or icy conditions to test them out yet, but they scored very highly in various reviews. One advantage compared to the CrossClimates is that the tread is not directional, so you can put one on your spare wheel (if you have one), and you’ll be able to use it on either the right side or the left side of the car, which you wouldn’t be able to do with a CrossClimate.

I think I paid just over £100 plus fitting for my Vredestein Quatrac Pro tyres in size 215/50 R18.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judith_sw said:

I’ll need to change the tyres on our Karoq 2.0l  TDi SEL 4x4 in the next month or two, probably all four. It came with Bridgestone Turanza T001s (225 50 R18) which have been fine. I’d consider getting these again but am interested in any recommendations for others. Probably summer tyres but would consider All Season too for where we live. Thank you :)

Bridgestone Turanza T001 225/50R18 95W

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/bridgestone/turanza-t001/225/50/R18/W/95/m?tyre=34961957

Michelin CrossClimate SUV 225/50R18 99W

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/crossclimate-suv/225/50/R18/W/99/m?tyre=39475666

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

I'd always choose all season tyres over summer tyres unless you're prepared to change from summer to winter and back each year. And I'm really annoyed that Skoda don't offer all-season tyres on their new cars!

If Michelin make CrossClimate+ or CrossClimateSUV in your size, they'd be my choice after having them on my present car. They should last for a couple of years, so the cost is less important to me than the better grip in cold weather.

Chris

• Like 1

14 hours ago, judith_sw said:

A couple of questions how many miles did you get from the Bridgestones and have you had to rotate them? I only ask because our front-wheel drive petrol 1.5TSi SEL came with 215/50R18 Michelin Primacy 3 tyres which I rotated at 17,500 miles IIRC and they have so far done 25,800 miles and will probably need replacing at 30,000 miles which is pretty good and I may well go with the Michelin's again due to excellent economy (car is currently averaging almost 50mpg with a range of 550 miles from the smaller 50 litre tank) and longevity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

A couple of questions how many miles did you get from the Bridgestones and have you had to rotate them? I only ask because our front-wheel drive petrol 1.5TSi SEL came with 215/50R18 Michelin Primacy 3 tyres which I rotated at 17,500 miles IIRC and they have so far done 25,800 miles and will probably need replacing at 30,000 miles which is pretty good and I may well go with the Michelin's again due to excellent economy (car is currently averaging almost 50mpg with a range of 550 miles from the smaller 50 litre tank) and longevity.

Many thanks for all the very helpful responses. I will definitely discuss the all-season ones with my husband, as this is his main car and we live in the West Yorkshire moors. I have a TTS and run a winter set of wheels and can really appreciate the difference over summer tyres on our muddy, often wet and sometimes icy/snowy roads. So far we've had 16,000 miles off the Turanzas with slightly less wear at the rear, but we haven't rotated them (and probably should next time around). I think we can probably expect 20,000 from these, but my husband likes to adopt a more 'sporty driving style' and so much more than this is unlikely ;)

Good to hear about the Michelin Primacy too - that is excellent durability. I was surprised that the current Turanzas that are factory fit aren't XL - I presume we could replace with either though.

• Thanks 1

As an alternative all weather tyre to the Cross Climates, it might be worth looking at Goodyear Vector 4's, not that I've ever tried them.  However, following generally good reports here at Briskoda about road noise and ride, hoping to change to these when my Turanzas wear out.  A friend changed to Cross Climates on his Mini a couple or more years ago (from what he can't remember) and noticed a worthwhile reduction in road noise, but the ride deteriorated - they do have stiffened side walls.  My impression is that of the two, the Cross Climates give sharper handling whereas with the Goodyears the emphasis is on quietness and ride.  On the other hand quite a few people here like the Cross Climates, so maybe they suit the Karoq suspension settings.  Note that there is a new version of the Goodyears - Gen 3 replacing the Gen 2's but no reviews yet in the motoring press.

I find the Turanzas on my Karoq with 17" wheels OK, fair for road noise & ride if a bit nobbly on broken road surfaces - but that applies to most modern cars.  When I do change the tyres, I might go for 16" wheels as well to improve on this ride aspect as much as possible, maybe at the expense of handling sharpness.   That would allow chains to be fitted in the unlikely event of a bad winter at some time, here in the South East.

16 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

As an alternative all weather tyre to the Cross Climates, it might be worth looking at Goodyear Vector 4's, not that I've ever tried them.  However, following generally good reports here at Briskoda about road noise and ride, hoping to change to these when my Turanzas wear out.  A friend changed to Cross Climates on his Mini a couple or more years ago (from what he can't remember) and noticed a worthwhile reduction in road noise, but the ride deteriorated - they do have stiffened side walls.  My impression is that of the two, the Cross Climates give sharper handling whereas with the Goodyears the emphasis is on quietness and ride.  On the other hand quite a few people here like the Cross Climates, so maybe they suit the Karoq suspension settings.  Note that there is a new version of the Goodyears - Gen 3 replacing the Gen 2's but no reviews yet in the motoring press.

All I can comment on is Crossclimates (not the + yet) transformed my Superb so I'm reluctant to move to another brand. They seem to be lasting reasonably well as well. To be honest I was just after a reasonable all season tyre to help with my horrible commute but the improvement in refinement took me by surprise, it was very noticeable to me. It's hard for me to comment on ride as my poverty spec is good anyway sitting on 55 profile tyres. There are sections of my commute that suffer badly when raining with "rivers" traversing the road - on my previous Continentals you had to hang on for grim life - with the Cross Climate the expreience  is much more stable and substantially less stressful. The Vector 4' may be great for this but I'll ask for others to comment on these.

I flirted with a set of Quatrac 5's at the end of the ownership of my previous Superb I - these weren't too bad but had a distinctive "sound" and were not quite as good in the wet  and felt a bit "sqidgy" in really hot weather traversing Europe. However have they have lasted incredibly well. As a comparison Michelin Energy tyres were truly awful on the same commute!

Edited by bigjohn

I would also suggest the Michelin cross climate+ SUV

Maybe the Continental all season contact (rating is marginally noisier) or Vredestein Quatrac Pro as alternatives in your obscure size.

I would suggest that summer tyres are to be avoided (unless you change to winter set), not because of snow/ice, but because of cold rain.  It is generally known that winter tyres work better below +7c but most people don’t realise the summer tyres are worse below 9-10c in wet, and 4-5c in dry (with the +7c being average).

In UK the all seasons deal much better with cold rain, field run off, muddy autumn puddles etc.   So if you are tending towards summer tyres because only get a handful of snowy days, you are forgetting all the wet days below +10c

A few Briskoda links on x-Climates v the Goodyears.  I noted before that quite a few people say good things about the x-climates and bad things about the Turanzas.  I'll just note further that I was a bit disappointed when changing to x-climates on my previous Yeti - also changing from 17" to 16" wheels.  Yes the road noise was less and ride improved but not night & day and I put down much of the improvement to the higer profile tyres.  On the other hand the handling was just as sharp as before.

Again in contrast to other opinions, I reckon the Turanzas on my 17" wheeled Karoq are quieter and smoother riding (still room for improvement though) than the x-climates were on my Yeti, but suspension setting is a little softer too.

However, you may not be able to bet the Goodyear tyres in your assumed 18" wheel size, don't know about the x- climates either.  With 16" & 17" the choice of tyres is far greater and cheaper.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/474843-sound-deadening/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/474843-sound-deadening/

Edited by croquemonsieur

• 3 years later...

I've always been a dunlop and goodyear person,  but recently had no choice due to 3 punctures of having vredestein 215/50/r18. I do wonder if they are a softer tyre and wonder how long they will last at £150 each.   I'm finding them very efficieng,  bringing I  61 mpg on a mix of A,  B and C Roads including motorway,  250 miles in and they feel like they belong on the car