Tyre advice needed ASAP

Hi guys, noticed a split in my front driverside tyre this afternoon. It goes up the tyre wall and not in to the tyre. Very weird. The tyres currently fitted are Continental 215/35 ZR18 84Y XL ContiSportContact 5's.  Would it be advisable to stick to these Contis? or could I fit a different brand on the driverside? Needing to buy a new tyre has just come at the wrong time. Thanks guys. 

img%5D

You could fit what you want but I'm personally a sucker for matching tyres. I've found the Continentals on my Octy really comfortable but on the, now-former, Fabia (and Mx5 before it) I had Kumho tyres all round and found them excellent.

The issue with different tyres is that some cars are pretty sensitive to different tread patterns etc. I'd imagine for a small, FWD car that it wouldn't make any huge issues.

Before rushing off to get fresh tyres, I would consult an expert as that small split may not be illegal/dangerous. Furthermore I would concur with Benz re the Kumho tyres as Continentals are very expensive these days. There is a tyre review site which I have used in the past which is quite informative, here it is:- https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

To add to the above, that crack is on the edge of the rim protection area, and might just be due to that tyre having "kissed" a vertical surface quite firmly - but only you could judge that from its appearance close up.

Edit:-as always, if you are in doubt, use common sense and default to replacing.

Edited by rum4mo

15 hours ago, onedaymyfriend said:

noticed a split in my front driver side tyre

Impact damage normally.

The Conti has an extra rubber kerb rim protector bump strip. ( which might have done its job )

Can you see any white cords showing inside the split?

15 hours ago, onedaymyfriend said:

215/35 ZR18 84Y XL

1 hour ago, Benz3ne said:

I'd imagine for a small, FWD car

I would guess that this is a tyre from the OP's Superb and not the Fabia. 

Thanks AG Falco

2 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

Impact damage normally.

The Conti has an extra rubber kerb rim protector bump strip. ( which might have done its job )

Can you see any white cords showing inside the split?

I would guess that this is a tyre from the OP's Superb and not the Fabia. 

Thanks AG Falco

No cord showing, these tyres came with the Fabia MC from new not the Superb. 🤔

1 minute ago, onedaymyfriend said:

No cord showing, these tyres came with the Fabia MC from new not the Superb. 🤔

Tyres getting bigger again then. Was that a standard or optional size wheel/tyre?

How deep does it go? 

Any bulges?

Thanks AG Falco

I’m gonna check this, but I believe any crack over 25mm Long is an MOT failure regardless of cords showing or not..... will update this once my Mac has updated and I can access the material 

5 minutes ago, jars said:

but I believe any crack over 25mm Long is an MOT failure

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/hot-tips-assessing-cuts-in-tyres/

Read this first. 😀

Thanks AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
Added read this first.
  • Thanks 1

Some people might want to use some vulcanising glue in the split.

It need to be glue that stays flexible when it dries - tyre puncture repair glue.

It helps if the wound is compressed when the glue is drying.

Thanks AG Falco

I did that to a very small impact damage on a tyre on my daughter's previous car, there had been a comment in the MOT - so I glued it back down before it git ripped off, in that case there was nothing but rubber at the "base" of that crack/tear so after checking and cleaning it properly I glued it with a suitable rubber glue, I've forgotten which type/brand - and applied pressure "somehow" for a few hours, again forgotten how.  Next MOT, no comment.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, onedaymyfriend said:

It would appear that the tyre place have replaced the TPMS sensor for a standard one. Fml, what next. 😩

Scrap that, I'm almost 100% sure that the Fabia has an indirect system. That could've been embarrassing.lol