Does Tyre Pressure Monitoring system display pressure values anywhere?

I've scouted around the posts for this but can't seem to find the answer,....though I suspect I know it :-)
All I am wondering is if the TPMS actually displays the tyre pressures anywhere (on Columbus screen or the instrument cluster) - it seems not, but seeking confirmation.

All help appreciated.

There is no mention of it in the brochure either from what I understand, with only the following being noteworthy (IMO) :

Superb TPMS.PNG

Skoda doesn't use the direct TPMS system in any of their models.

As @Wino said, it's the indirect version fitted.

The direct TPMS version can b retrofitted, but it's a bit of an effort and coding required.

• 1 month later...
On 22/07/2020 at 07:15, Wino said:

It's an indirect system that uses wheel speed information to infer changes in rolling radius. No measurement of actual gas pressure made, so none to display. 

hi, so mine went off once when 3 wheels came off for refurbishing, so I was happy it worked. 

Therefore I didn't actively think about inflating my tyres regularly, as I assumed it would notify me.

I checked recently and they had all gone down from 2.7~3 bar down to 1.9-2 over time and the TPMS hadn't indicated anything, is this normal?

Does it do some sort of recording when you set the pressures initially? I have rear at 3 and front at 2.7.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

hi, so mine went off once when 3 wheels came off for refurbishing, so I was happy it worked. 

Therefore I didn't actively think about inflating my tyres regularly, as I assumed it would notify me.

I checked recently and they had all gone down from 2.7~3 bar down to 1.9-2 over time and the TPMS hadn't indicated anything, is this normal?

Does it do some sort of recording when you set the pressures initially? I have rear at 3 and front at 2.7.

Thanks.

Indirect TPMS uses relative measurement to the other tyres. 

So if any tyre is different to the other by approx. 4 psi or more, it will warn u.

If all 4 drop pressure around the same, then it won't warn u.

It doesn't remember a "value" u started with.

Hence it's good practice to check the pressures once a month.

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

Indirect TPMS uses relative measurement to the other tyres. 

So if any tyre is different to the other by approx. 4 psi or more, it will warn u.

If all 4 drop pressure around the same, then it won't warn u.

It doesn't remember a "value" u started with.

Hence it's good practice to check the pressures once a month.

But if it doesn't remember anything, what's the point of "setting" it via the settings? Also how does it work with different front vs rear pressure? 

14 minutes ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

But if it doesn't remember anything, what's the point of "setting" it via the settings? Also how does it work with different front vs rear pressure? 

Indirect works by measuring the tyres rotational speed using the ABS sensors in each wheel.

Hence if one particular tyre is losing air faster than the others, i.e. a slow puncture, then that tyre will rotate at a different speed, which the sensors will pick up, and warn u via the TPMS.

U want actual values, u'll need to retrofit direct TPMS. The factory OEM ones r not an easy install.

Alternatively, u can fit aftermarket tyre pressure sensors, and connect to an app on ur mobile via Bluetooth.  They give u the actual tyre pressure reading, which u can monitor.

• Thanks 1

I haven't done it (yet) but....

These parts SHOULD work on a Superb III

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962290383.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ebb4eafOOqydt&algo_pvid=359f923b-0e27-4d86-8882-a5e9a567c9ea&algo_expid=359f923b-0e27-4d86-8882-a5e9a567c9ea-1&btsid=0ab6f82c15966995494215373e1404&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

This is a DIRECT system with sensors in the wheels actually measuring the tyre pressure. This is then displayed on screen.

Standard system is INDIRECT which, as others have said, is based on detecting changes in wheel rotation speed, and therefore diameter and therefore pressure.

When you set the 'pressure' on the indirect system, you're effectively setting the diameter of the wheel. If that changes, based on wheel rotation detected by the ABS sensors, then it gives yo a warning.

Basically an 'antenna' part that connects to CANBUS and 4x wheel sensors that need to be installed in the wheels and which directly measure pressure.

Installation doesn't seem too hard. Needs coding.

Then it will show individual tyre pressures on the entertainment screen.

There's instructions around for fitting to Mk7 Golfs.

As far as I know, this system was never actually fitted on the Superb III from factory, but works because of the amazing modularity of the MQB platform.

32 minutes ago, Haystack1 said:

I haven't done it (yet) but....

+1, i haven't done it yet, but its on my retrofits to-do list.

the bit that i'm hesitant on is removing the rear bumper to get access to the CANBUS in order to connect the TPMS module.

the front bumper is a lot easier to remove.  the rear has more bracket & clips - me no likey.

but, one day......

21 minutes ago, JR RS said:

+1, i haven't done it yet, but its on my retrofits to-do list.

the bit that i'm hesitant on is removing the rear bumper to get access to the CANBUS in order to connect the TPMS module.

the front bumper is a lot easier to remove.  the rear has more bracket & clips - me no likey.

but, one day......

On some instructions I've seen (Tiguan?) they put the antenna in the left rear under the door sill trim.

Canbus is accessed at the front and run under the passenger (left) door sill trim.

On Mk7 Golf they mount it underneath in front of the rear axle.

It seems it needs to be rearward, but other than that its not too sensitive to location.

I think tyre position is judged by signal strength for front/rear, and the sensors know if they are left or right based on rotation.  

8 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

Thanks.

Poor assumption, unfortunately.

Even if you had direct TPMS it would be somewhat reckless to never check tyre pressures 'manually'.

7 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

I think when you set it, what you're actually doing is putting the system into a temporary 'learning mode' where it measures the relative speeds of all four wheels at whatever pressures you've just pumped the tyres to. This takes some minutes of normal driving to do, and I suspect it will indeed save some data relating to this starting point, at the end of the learning period.

What it can't detect, is equal (rotational speed) changes on all wheels caused by air loss, because those data could also simply be caused by the car going faster.

Only 'odd-one-out' situations are likely to trigger a warning. Luckily, for those that check their pressures regularly (all responsible drivers), this is sufficient.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Haystack1 said:

On some instructions I've seen (Tiguan?) they put the antenna in the left rear under the door sill trim.

Canbus is accessed at the front and run under the passenger (left) door sill trim.

On Mk7 Golf they mount it underneath in front of the rear axle.

It seems it needs to be rearward, but other than that its not too sensitive to location.

I think tyre position is judged by signal strength for front/rear, and the sensors know if they are left or right based on rotation.  

i've read some discussions in the Kodiaq forums, and they've tapped into the rear blind-spot radar modules for access to the CANBUS High connection, and powered from the boot 12V power.

that's my plan, instead of having to tap into the CANBUS up front, and running it all the way back.

2 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:
4 hours ago, Wino said:

Poor assumption, unfortunately.

Even if you had direct TPMS it would be somewhat reckless to never check tyre pressures 'manually'.

Yes, thanks, clearly I made I mistake

@Wino

interesting, what there is reckless?
i can see pressure and temperature values online just for 53 euros(bought in far 2017)
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/434028-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/?do=findComment&comment=4893182

nowadays have seen similar sets just for 20 euros,
for that funny price it becomes a must have device in the car

p.s.

be careful with chose model, not all new dTMPS models do have acceptable display type,

compared few:

2017 vs 2018 -> https://www.drive2.ru/b/515882335611126160/

2017 vs 2019 -> https://www.drive2.ru/b/549365763211789073/

Checking tyre pressures on line.........................

I can quite believe that, nothing surprises me any more 🙄