superb sportline 280 DSG 4x4

Will not start or ignition will not come on with push button totally dead ! All interior light info system etc working ! Checked all fuses battery, key battery all ok. Stuck in park in drive and unable to remove steering lock🤦‍♂️Car is out of warranty as 3 years 5 months old🤷🏼‍♂️

Try the spare KESSY key? Also, it maybe the car battery is on its last legs and just not offering enough ummph to start the systems properly? 

Edited by numskull

Tried battery boast and two other keys without success nothing🤷‍♂️Getting recovered to Skoda 😢

• Sad 1

I remember reading about the start switch getting dirty and preventing the car to start, could that be it if everything else seems to be fine?

If that's the case people have successfully opened it and cleaned it, don't buy a replacement switch before trying that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, numskull said:

Try the spare KESSY key? Also, it maybe the car battery is on its last legs and just not offering enough ummph to start the systems properly? 

Tried all keys with new battery and car battery boosted and fully charged and still nothing🤦‍♂️.Going to Skoda dealership on 5th August first appointment available due to 😷

Bloody odd.

Speak to SUKCS and see if they’ll give you some goodwill on the cost - I’m presuming you’ve always used the network for servicing? It’s always served me well to do so with out of warranty claims. Shame that with leaving the EU, the EU wide 6 year merchantability laws will disappear here too.... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DIG said:

Tried battery boast and two other keys without success nothing🤷‍♂️Getting recovered to Skoda 😢

Cheers Just bought car 10 days ago ! Unfortunately not from Skoda dealership and As always warranty given not worth Paper written on garage only offered to pay diagnostics.  Car has full Skoda service history . 

18 hours ago, DIG said:

Cheers Just bought car 10 days ago ! Unfortunately not from Skoda dealership and As always warranty given not worth Paper written on garage only offered to pay diagnostics.  Car has full Skoda service history . 

The garage is trying it on. The car is not of merchantable quality and you are entitled to your money back.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 22:02, DIG said:

Ahhhh.... well, what facet edge says is correct. Throw it back at the front; fortunately they can’t get away with “sod off pal” anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Car now at dealer but unable to find problem and passed to Skoda uk for advise🤦🏼‍♂️ God know how much this will cost 🤷‍♂️It’s not the engine start button first thing they checked😡

Its a long shot - but I have come across it. Is it possible that there is an aftermarket Immo fitted by a finance company? They can activate them remotely and car will not start even with correct key. Did you have finance check done etc. It would explain what is going on and many dealers wouldn't have a clue what to look for or how to find. 

As I say, longshot. But it can happen. Would also fit in with you buying the car so recently. 

• Like 1

Thanks but I done a finance check before I bought it and so did the garage ! Well they told me they had.🤷🏼‍♂️Any idea how I would find out if there was one

Ask the garage for the finance report. Should be on file if they did it. Just tell them Skoda want to rule out a Finance Company disabling car for missed payments. Its an extreme measure but finance companies that deal with people with bad credit history do employ it as a security. 

Just phoned garage there check said no outstanding finance. Thanks for your help totally stuck and annoyed🤬

Don’t fret mate. Wait until you get a solid answer for the issue. Could be something relatively minor. Don’t panic because local dealers couldn’t resolve. A lot of dealers employ fairly basic mechanics that know how to read directions from the manufacturer and do competent work. But anything out of the ordinary can baffle them. Not really diagnostic experts a lot of the time. 
I do work for dealers and many times we have fixed or resolved relatively easy problems that had dealers stumped. It’s the “ computer says no” syndrome and they can’t go much further. Experienced non-dealer mechanics can often do much better work than dealer mechanics. I wouldn’t panic just yet. 
Another suggestion is a new battery. Battery are strange things. Voltage test means nothing - needed to be tested under load. And putting a jump pack on to a bad battery is a waste of time. A faulty battery will take the good  from the jump pack and the power from the jump pack won’t get to where it needs to go. I had a VW Passat a few weeks ago that wouldn’t start. Jump pack, still no start. Removed leads from battery and put my jump directly onto leads & car started no problem.  
Was the central locking working? Was there any message on the dash? If it was a key problem you will get a notification that it’s not recognising keys. 
There are a lot of things that could lead to this problem. And it’s a matter of elimination until you hit the right thing. And it could still be something relatively simple. 

Seeing as u just bought it, you still have consumer rights on your side with the garage that sold it to you. DO NOT just leave them of the hook. 

• Like 1

This is a quite an interesting fault - assuming first things first - what (if any) error messages from VCDS there are?  Battery issues are usually the problem - and it would be good to know if the battery was replaced recently, and if so - was it coded into the car correctly?

Sounds like another Skoda dealer being unhelpful.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your comments 👍central locking electric windows info system all working , no messages on display no ignition nothing but display showed if doors boot open etc. Tried jump cables but still nothing 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DIG

Thanks under the Radar would this not have been picked up diagnostics at dealer. They are stuck also and passed to Skoda Uk🤔🤦🏼‍♂️

Have seen this happen before, but mainly on Audi units. It’s either caused by corroded pins on the block connector for the box or unfortunately a failed mechatronic can give the same result. Normally the mechatronic will give a failed to communicate error, but not always. Also assuming they’ve checked the basics and made sure the brake lights are working to discount a brake pedal switch, which doesn’t always code either on some cars. 

@UndertheRadar  ohh I like the brake pedal switch shout. Could easily be something as simple as that. And don't presume dealers have any of the basics 🙂  I've seen some really basic stuff missed over the years. As I said before,  local dealers have competent but often average mechanics. They have the luxury of having all the dealer tools and directions that make working on a particular make of car easier. Step by step stuff. But anything out of the ordinary and they can be easily tripped up.

• Like 2