ACC and Cruise Control

43 minutes ago, D402 said:

To add to this, radar does detect stationary objects but the signal processing filters them out; a moving object that subsequently stops continues to be tracked which is why it sometimes does pick up stopped traffic.

The ACC also tries to build a model of the road curvature ahead to determine whether an object is in your path or not but can only do this by plotting the paths of moving vehicles ahead.  This often goes wrong if you are following a single vehicle that pulls into a lay-by or filter lane then stops while you intend to drive past in a parallel lane - the ACC can only assume that you will follow the same path as the leading vehicle and will slow you down. If another vehicle in front has passed the stopped vehicle then it will usually follow that OK having detected the alternative path.

This junction near Redditch gets mine every time if there's only one car in front of me and it turns right:

Google Streetview link - A435 near Redditch

Yes, good point, I was oversimplifying.

Shows that there is still a way to go until self-driving cars are suitable for all roads.

Indeed, there's a very long way to go; we're being sold a vision of self-driving vehicles that is basically science-fiction with today's technology.

9 hours ago, budster said:

The manual makes it clear that it will not see stationary traffic and also that it is intended for use on the motorway, not in a 30 limit:

"ACC does not respond to stationary objects or to crossing or oncoming objects.

ACC is intended primarily for use on motorways."

It's using a radar sensor so can only detect objects that are moving. 

That may well be in the manual but the minimum speed is 20 and I find it very useful for most scenarios when following other traffic so will continue to use it as such.

the main point is to be aware it’s not a Tesla self driving thing so you need to be always prepared to intervene and I cover the brake when it’s slowing me down still.

• 3 years later...

How does ACC handles overtaking? Say I've set it to 120km/h in the right lane and the car in front lowers it's speed to 80km/h. How do I overtake with ACC? On my current car, Insignia A, I have ACC and I don't use it because when I want to overtake, when I move to the left line, it take forever to accelerate. Does Superb act smarter or not? I've seen Kia having smart ACC, when you press the blinker, it starts to accelerate. 

13 minutes ago, Tuscany said:

How does ACC handles overtaking? Say I've set it to 120km/h in the right lane and the car in front lowers it's speed to 80km/h. How do I overtake with ACC? On my current car, Insignia A, I have ACC and I don't use it because when I want to overtake, when I move to the left line, it take forever to accelerate. Does Superb act smarter or not? I've seen Kia having smart ACC, when you press the blinker, it starts to accelerate. 

Hi - The ACC will slow down whenever a car in front is going slower than the speed you have selected.

Assuming that there is space to overtake then you simply use the accelerator as normal to increase your speed until you complete the move. 

The ACC is always overridden by the use of the accelerator. 

HOWEVER, be aware that once you stop using the accelerator the car will slow down to the pre-set speed, therefore you need to adjust the ACC speed to match the new speed after overtaking. 

If your ACC speed is already set to be faster than the car in front then as soon as you pull out into the overtaking lane the ACC will start to accelerate to the pre-set speed without intervention - the only problem with allowing the ACC to complete the overtaking without you taking control is that it may be too slow at getting to a safe speed to complete the move, hence its best to use your gears and accelerator as needed, to be safe, then go back to ACC to control the speed.

On 14/04/2022 at 09:28, Robster59 said:

Interesting to see.  When travelling on business, I stop at IHG which includes Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, etc., and so far I've only come across two that had them.  One in Abingdon and one in Crewe which is so small, and located so badly, you could only get a Smart Car in the space.

I think it's a worthwhile investment for hotels, as more people will be looking for this facility at their hotels as time moves on.  And it may be the clincher for some when they choose their hotel. 

We went to see my children who live in Surrey between Christmas and New Year.  We stayed for three nights.  The hotel we stopped at didn't have chargers and because of its location, there was nowhere nearby I could leave the car to charge.  So from leaving on the 26th, to returning home on the 30th, I didn't have the opportunity to charge my car once. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the input.

So, it does not start to accelerate while still behind the car, when I turn on the blinker? Assuming I have checked and there is not car behind me? Based on internet discussions I was under the impression that most modern cars assist when accelerating as part of ACC. My current car has a huge "hanging" time when I switch the lane.

My 2022 Superb will accelerate when I indicate and pull out - it seems respond fairly soon after pulling out and without checking it might even start before I've pulled out - I don't have the distance set to 'close', it has about 25 mtrs gap.

• Love it! 1

With my 2019 Superb 2.0 L&K estate I find that as soon as I indicate to start the overtake, before I even steer out of the lane I’m in the car starts to accelerate- I have it set in programme to sport which helps greatly in speeding up the overtake, very little if any lag. If the ACC setting is set to normal the overtake seems very slow by comparison. 

• Like 1

I agree that signalling may give the car an "idea" that you are about to overtake and speed up by itself, however you should be aware that, if this is the standard way that it works, then it is dangerous, since when changing to a slower lane it is the last thing you want to happen.

Therefore in my opinion, you should not totally rely on the ACC to safely overtake on its own.  It is very easy to slip the Superb into sport mode for overtaking if you need to (assuming you have DSG with Sport mode on the Gear shift, as with the petrol or diesel cars), however if you getting the Hybrid then the Sport mode is a button and is not as easy to use for a quick change.  OR just use your foot on the accelerator until you get back in lane and decide on the speed for ACC.

If you are getting a new Superb 2024 version then the DSG is totally different and no idea how it works.

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

@Tuscany Welcome.  

Are you maybe in Tuscany and in a Left Hand Drive car or in the likes of Ireland where still km,s but Right Hand Drive cars? 

None of these :) The band Dream Theater have a song called "The count of Tuscany", which is a very favorite one of mine :)

1 hour ago, ERIK99 said:

I agree that signalling may give the car an "idea" that you are about to overtake and speed up by itself, however you should be aware that, if this is the standard way that it works, then it is dangerous, since when changing to a slower lane it is the last thing you want to happen.

Therefore in my opinion, you should not totally rely on the ACC to safely overtake on its own.  It is very easy to slip the Superb into sport mode for overtaking if you need to (assuming you have DSG with Sport mode on the Gear shift, as with the petrol or diesel cars), however if you getting the Hybrid then the Sport mode is a button and is not as easy to use for a quick change.  OR just use your foot on the accelerator until you get back in lane and decide on the speed for ACC.

If you are getting a new Superb 2024 version then the DSG is totally different and no idea how it works.

I do agree. I am very educated and cautious driver so there is not way I will relay on a system without having all of my attention on the road. Even when I am in a public transport, I bite my nails because I don't have control of the vehicle :)