is this a good deal?

Hi all

New to Kodiaq but potential 5th Skoda...Been offered metallic white SE 7 seater 0 deposit, skoda pay first 3 months then 295 x 45...would have wanted more toys like in Drive or SE L but mate with a Karoq said this is a steal and I should take it...any thoughts?

Cheers

You don't say what engine, gearbox or what the annual mileage is.  And is that a personal PCP or business?

Edited by Guest

If you think you could manage 48 months of the SE ‘s sparse equipment and lack of creature comforts ( lack of LED headlights put me right off). 
Don’t think it exactly deal if the century.

CarWow say you can get an SE 1.5 for £299 a month.

Auto Express quote 1.5 SEL. £3k deposit, £3250 Skoda contribution, 44 payments £344.27

5000 miles a year? I can see the attraction of a basic SE if you're never in the car long enough. :D

OK there could be one major problem here - the 3 free months offer ended yesterday - 31st July. And it only applied to cars already in stock.

edit: just checked the website to confirm the offer and in typical lackadaisical Skoda fashion, they're still advertising the offer despite it having ended ( see T&C ). :wall:

Edited by Guest

do people only look at the monthly cost on these 'deals'

what about the balloon at the end ? the mileage limit etc

does everyone plan to spend a few hundred quid of their salary every month on a car forever ?

Edited by BRUN
  • Like 1

I plan to spend a few hundred quid of my salary on a car forever, yes.   I think you do that anyway however you pay for a car if you want a new car.

I used to buy a new car every 3 years with cash, after 3 years I would sell it privately and get a new car.  Every 3 years I would get depressed at how much it had depreciated.

This time, I have sold my car, and put the money in the bank.   The money I had saved up to top that up to enable me to buy my next new car is also in the bank.

My new car fund is now invested and making me money, rather than being sat on the driveway losing money.    I am now leasing a car and it’s costing me less than I was saving up every month, and I have £30k Invested and that is earning me money.

i don’t think I will ever buy a car again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRUN said:

do people only look at the monthly cost on these 'deals'

what about the balloon at the end ? the mileage limit etc

does everyone plan to spend a few hundred quid of their salary every month on a car forever ?

Erm. I don't lease but if you're the kind of person who works to a fixed budget then yes, the monthly cost is all you need to know. The mileage limit applies because that's something that could increase the monthly cost but why would the balloon payment matter if you're buying a new car every few years?

The answer to your second question is easy. I spent a few hundred quid of my salary every month on a car when I was working and will spend a few hundred quid per month of my pension on one either until I can no longer drive or until I drop dead. Speaking of which the buggers will take about £1000 just to take me from the morgue to the crematorium so in that respect, a car is cheap. :D

im nearly 40, only ever owned 3 cars, always bought em outright

PCP is something im not used to so was just asking to familiarise myself with what everyone else does really

• Like 1

I have a 1.5tsi SE DSG. I got it last September through Drive the Deal (who introduce you to the dealer once you confirm the order). I selected silver roof rails (actual metal), front sensors and KESSY and with a £2k deposit I pay £257 per month (over 4 years PCP). I only drive around 6k mileage a year (I have an 8k allowance) so although I would’ve loved an SE L (almost purely for the LED headlights and the black Triglav alloys but I really dislike the plastic ‘chrome’ trim around the windows on the SE L which reminds me of a 1980’s ‘top of the range model’) but don’t use the car enough to justify the extra expense. The dealer was bloody brilliant and made the whole thing really easy.

Edited by Paulkpr

4 hours ago, BRUN said:

im nearly 40, only ever owned 3 cars, always bought em outright

PCP is something im not used to so was just asking to familiarise myself with what everyone else does really

I always buy outright and then keep em for a long time...   The last few we've had for 11 and 13 years

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

I always buy outright and then keep em for a long time...   The last few we've had for 11 and 13 years

Just to use that example for BRAUN. If the car cost £25k and you own it for 11 years then lets assume it's worth £3k when you get rid of it. That means overall the car has cost £22k. Now divide that by 11 years = £2k per year. Divide that by 12 and that's £166 month.

I still don't understand the question "does everyone plan to spend a few hundred quid of their salary every month on a car forever?".   Even for those who buy their cars outright and keep them for 11 years, the answer is yes.

43 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Just to use that example for BRAUN. If the car cost £25k and you own it for 11 years then lets assume it's worth £3k when you get rid of it. That means overall the car has cost £22k. Now divide that by 11 years = £2k per year. Divide that by 12 and that's £166 month.

I still don't understand the question "does everyone plan to spend a few hundred quid of their salary every month on a car forever?".   Even for those who buy their cars outright and keep them for 11 years, the answer is yes.

Indeed but my costs are much less at about a third.  Our 4x4 list price was 27.5k and we got it with a very low mileage at 3 months old (ex showroom car) for 16.5k.  Doing the same calc 13.5k cost over 13 years = 1k per year so £87 per month.

I did similar on the Swift a couple of years ago.  Ex showroom car that saved me approx a third and two years motoring later it's worth pretty much what I paid for it having checked prices on auto trader.

You just need to be careful how you buy and where - and not be one of those people who is seduced by a new car every couple of years.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Paulkpr said:

I have a 1.5tsi SE DSG. I got it last September through Drive the Deal (who introduce you to the dealer once you confirm the order). I selected silver roof rails (actual metal), front sensors and KESSY and with a £2k deposit I pay £257 per month (over 4 years PCP). I only drive around 6k mileage a year (I have an 8k allowance) so although I would’ve loved an SE L (almost purely for the LED headlights and the black Triglav alloys but I really dislike the plastic ‘chrome’ trim around the windows on the SE L which reminds me of a 1980’s ‘top of the range model’) but don’t use the car enough to justify the extra expense. The dealer was bloody brilliant and made the whole thing really easy.

Which dealer was that?

Lack of front sensors and sat nav are my biggest issue tbh

6 minutes ago, gocitigo said:

Which dealer was that?

Lack of front sensors and sat nav are my biggest issue tbh

It was Euroskoda Crawley. I live 200 miles away but never went there because it’s signed online and delivered free. Not sure they will touch the low prices without going through Drivethedeal though. When I added KESSY I had to phone up drivethedeal to get it added to the quote.

As for satnav I use google maps through Apple CarPlay (or android auto if you’re that way inclined) which is displayed on the  main screen. Far superior to the VW version. Even if I had built in satnav I wouldn’t use it. 

9 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Some people obviously don't see that - usually the ones that say "if you can't buy something without finance you can't afford it". 

1 hour ago, Paulkpr said:

It was Euroskoda Crawley. I live 200 miles away but never went there because it’s signed online and delivered free. Not sure they will touch the low prices without going through Drivethedeal though. When I added KESSY I had to phone up drivethedeal to get it added to the quote.

As for satnav I use google maps through Apple CarPlay (or android auto if you’re that way inclined) which is displayed on the  main screen. Far superior to the VW version. Even if I had built in satnav I wouldn’t use it. 

Can you control it on screen or do you need to stop and use your phone?

20 minutes ago, gocitigo said:

Can you control it on screen or do you need to stop and use your phone?

It’s all completely on screen. Designed by Apple (or android). 

185B7FEE-0781-4D2E-B438-F6AEB544EEA3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Some people obviously don't see that - usually the ones that say "if you can't buy something without finance you can't afford it". 

In my experience, many people get confused by what they're buying.  Few people have £30,000 of their own money to buy a car therefore they cannot afford it, so what they have to do is take out finance.  They can afford the finance repayments rather than afford the product. In many cases the product is never theirs.

2 hours ago, gocitigo said:

And yes I plan on it too. It took me a long time to realise that under HP I don't own the car any more than under PCP!

PCP can be confusing and I've read some rubbish from even well known financial magazines.  PCP is just a way of financing the car i.e. it's no different if you were to take out a bank loan for it.  HP on the otherhand is akin to renting a car from Hertz.

Certainly with the VWFS PCP I took out in December, my V5C showed me both as the owner and keeper.  That was one of the questions I had b4 entering a PCP agreement as I'd have to declare not being the owner on my insurance. 

I agree the original posters question was very basic without full details but blimey there’s some snobbery here against the SE version. Remember folks we all can’t afford the bells and whistles higher spec models whether new or used. 
I’ve just bought a 5 seat 18 plate (it’s actually 1 day from being a 68 plate) SE DSG with just 6750 miles on the clock for £18,900. 
On test driving it and then coming home to research more I realised it had the keyless entry system and the Canton sound system with the space saver spare wheel, the dealer obviously didn’t know these were all extras.  
I found the SE to be beautiful, the driving position perfect for me as I’m 6’3” and the build quality fantastic. It helped that the car is virtually indistinguishable from new. 
Of course I’d love more tech but the SE is great and has more than enough for me to cope with. 
I bought it on a personal loan x 60 months @ 2.9%APR borrowing £17,000 as I had a little residual in my px, so after I’ve had it four years I’ll only owe around £3400 and the car will hopefully be worth around £10k 

So, to the original poster, in my opinion the SE is great, it’s certainly not sparse and the car itself is a beast. But look at your GMFV, you’ll need some equity on completion. 
Thanks. 

• Like 1